Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:05:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I Think I Got Screwed out of 5 BTC  (Read 7424 times)
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 04:12:23 PM

AND by sending 2BTC to old_engineer you admit that this thread was wrong from the start.   IMO you still owe an apology to old_engineer

I have no problem sending him the 2 BTC because I only earned 5 BTC...I didn't earn 7 BTC.  I wanted to repay the other 2 people who sent me 1 BTC apiece so I told OldEngineer to give it to them.

The only thing I will apologize for is initially putting "Old Engineer Screwed me out of 5 BTC" as the thread title before quickly changing it to "I Think Old Engineer Screwed me out of 5 BTC."  I'm careful with language and the "I think" not only makes a big difference, but it is the most accurate statement, because I think I am correct.

Additionally, I've stated multiple times that I'm happy the BTC were sent to orphans and that I have no problem with Old Engineer outside of this context, even though he threatened to sue me.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 04:16:13 PM

AND by sending 2BTC to old_engineer you admit that this thread was wrong from the start.   IMO you still owe an apology to old_engineer

I have no problem sending him the 2 BTC because I only earned 5 BTC...I didn't earn 7 BTC.  I wanted to repay the other 2 people who sent me 1 BTC apiece so I told OldEngineer to give it to them.

The only thing I will apologize for is initially putting "Old Engineer Screwed me out of 5 BTC" as the thread title before quickly changing it to "I Think Old Engineer Screwed me out of 5 BTC."  I'm careful with language and the "I think" not only makes a big difference, but it is the most accurate statement, because I think I am correct.

Additionally, I've stated multiple times that I'm happy the BTC were sent to orphans and that I have no problem with Old Engineer outside of this context, even though he threatened to sue me.

you have NOT EARNED anything.
your guess was close. that's about it
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 04:24:31 PM
Last edit: December 22, 2011, 04:38:22 PM by the joint

Hah, this is the same guy who gets "free" electricity and was even trying to sell some of the space for others to run their mining rigs.  Karma really is a bitch.  

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=52523.0

Nothing wrong with that.  Offer is still on the table.

After reading this thread, I have no problem believing that you feel entitled to "free" electricity and would sell it for your own profit/greed.

You know, I'm reminded of a thread long ago in which some guy stated he was thinking of killing himself and posted some pictures of medications he had available to take in order to kill himself.  He was asking for donations to feel better.

Almost every person in the community that responded on the thread was negative, either encouraging him to do it, or calling him a loser, or calling him selfish etc.  

I sent him some BTC and told him his life was valuable and that I hoped he would stay.

I also have many posts condemning scams (this was not a scam as I have mentioned several times), condemning Bruce Wagner, condemning SolidCoin which was a horribly unfair currency in the way it was implemented, etc.

I have been generally consistent in my thinking, have made multiple successful marketplace exchanges offering both goods and services to very pleased customers who made comments like "overall awesome," have purchased Bitcoin goods or services,  recently completed a Bitcoin Essay to be published and for which I was hired, etc.

I have thrown out topics that are completely unique and original, even dating back to when I was a newbie.

I've contributed to this community and this marketplace and have always been a proponent of fairness.

It's become blatantly obvious that very few, if any, have truly understood my arguments, and even more obvious that people continue to infer emotional or rational content that was completely absent from what I actually said.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 04:28:06 PM

you haven't won anything in that contest and you won't. if you're proud of your defense - it has failed (miserably)
only thing you've managed to achieve defending your position is to alienate yourself from the community for the price of few btc

He clearly has a mental disorder that makes that concept impossible to grasp.

Actually, I'm a counselor in an adult psychiatric unit  Grin

I might actually get intern of the year.

Add it to my 4.0, my beautiful girlfriend (who just had a photo shoot), and my great group of friends, and I'd say I'm doing quite well, thanks Smiley

Alienating myself from the bitcoin community is a tad ironic, don'tcha think?  I think we both know very well what "type" of person is most often found in the community...

So which is it? You are either a poor college student, or a counselor of the year at an adult psychiatric unit.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 04:29:33 PM
Last edit: December 22, 2011, 04:40:44 PM by the joint

Thanks, the free electricity thread was very interesting.  It shows a pattern of thought - a serious character flaw.  I think Harvey had much the same flawed thinking.  The Joint should really take advantage of some of the professional help he could get where he works.

Harvey is a bright guy, and the community condemned him for his unique style of thinking, too.  Just because I, like many of you, disagreed with a lot of what he said, I don't consider the way in which he said it offputting.  It's simply his style.

I bet if you talked with him in person he might sound a lot different.  Now, this is the only online forum I've ever been a part of, but I have the suspicion that many of you have spend a significant amount of time communicating with others digitally and have forgotten that you can't pick up on things like facial expression, body language, tone of voice, etc.

I do extremely well socially.  I have absolutely no problem building rapport with people face-to-face, but I do often find this is more difficult for me to do digitally.  And, I find this is because people continually think I'm saying things that I absolutely never said and in ways that I absolutely didn't intend to say them.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 04:32:24 PM

you haven't won anything in that contest and you won't. if you're proud of your defense - it has failed (miserably)
only thing you've managed to achieve defending your position is to alienate yourself from the community for the price of few btc

He clearly has a mental disorder that makes that concept impossible to grasp.

Actually, I'm a counselor in an adult psychiatric unit  Grin

I might actually get intern of the year.

Add it to my 4.0, my beautiful girlfriend (who just had a photo shoot), and my great group of friends, and I'd say I'm doing quite well, thanks Smiley

Alienating myself from the bitcoin community is a tad ironic, don'tcha think?  I think we both know very well what "type" of person is most often found in the community...

So which is it? You are either a poor college student, or a counselor of the year at an adult psychiatric unit.

Or both.  I don't get paid to be an intern and I'm in debt many tens of thousands of dollars because of student loans.  But I do have a 4.0, I may get intern of the year, and I have a litany of other accolades including dean's scholarship awards for outstanding scholastic achievement and otherwise.  I'm poor (in wealth) now, but my future looks incredibly prosperous.  
BadBear
v2.0
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1127

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2011, 05:01:48 PM

I wouldn't normally bring up old posts like that but considering the current discussion it seemed relavant (I also didn't hunt it down I remembered you posting that). I won't get into that whole discussion since it's off topic, but it shows a certain mindset. I also read this thread in its entirety before it was moved and edited, and it was very confrontational. The original title set the tone for the whole post. So maybe I'm biased.  

Your argument doesn't work, people don't agree with it. Instead of constantly saying the same thing and letting this carry on for 9 pages, maybe try a different approach. Just saying. Only crazy people do the same thing over and over again expecting a different result. Maybe you should try arguing that Oldengineer should have locked and made a new thread (thread starters can lock their own threads). Which is creating a new contest, where all contestants can be reasonably assumed to be playing under the same rules. The current contest was rigged against several people who don't like to read long threads of nothing but dates (surprise surprise!). There are lots of ways to debate things and try to change people's minds.

That said, you are nothing like Atlas and I do think you are a good person(poster). Everyone has their flaws. Don't let it get you down, in real life I'd call you out on this as well, but I'd buy you a beer and show you the catapult I'm making afterwards.  

1Kz25jm6pjNTaz8bFezEYUeBYfEtpjuKRG | PGP: B5797C4F

Tired of annoying signature ads? Ad block for signatures
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 05:15:02 PM

It's become blatantly obvious that very few, if any, have truly understood my arguments, and even more obvious that people continue to infer emotional or rational content that was completely absent from what I actually said.

Dear The Joint,

I have understood your arguments in so far as I believe you answered my questions honestly. The facts have been laid out. It is now a matter of opinion. By now, you must realize that irrespective of your conviction, the majority disagrees not with the facts, but with their implications. You have entered the realm of philosophy and morals. At the moment your morals and fitness for society are being seriously questioned by your peers.

Your ignorance of international standards and common norms does not justify your position.

Perhaps your are a foreigner in the culture of the internet or a child who has not yet received the rites of passage into adulthood. May this thread be the slap in your face. Be a man. Accept defeat. Learn your lessons. Join the community of seemingly irrational norms. And be thankful for your peers. The onus is on you to learn and adapt, not to change your social environment.

Sincerely,
Netrin

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 05:21:05 PM

To Bad Bear and Netrin,

Thank you, I will put further thought into it.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 05:39:12 PM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55391.0
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  All
  Print  

Jump to: