Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:09:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bullish Case for Bitcoin, reloaded.  (Read 361 times)
d5000 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6216

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
September 15, 2023, 12:31:54 AM

The problem is that many see the 1 million or more mark as possible in a bull run or even believe Saylor dribbles about $5 million, would those spend if they think at least 100x from now on is possible in a year time? Of course not, they will keep their coins in their wallets and not spend a dime and you can't really blame them.
The solution for that problem is to remind people that if they use Bitcoins for payments they would have done with fiat anyway, these Bitcoins aren't lost. They can re-buy the BTC instantly for fiat, or alternatively try to earn Bitcoins in some way, depending of course of your profession/work.

I'm sure for example Laszlo (the "stupid" Pizza buyer) after he bought that pizza continued to accumulate Bitcoin and should have recovered them in a few weeks at most.

When people do this, they strengthen the social "value" network/ecosystem (containing consumers, merchants and of course also traders, but the two first groups are more important for the "currency" aspect) and don't lose anything for the bull run they expect. If this is done massively that would counter the Bitcoin critics arguing that "it's only used for speculation". And every time the "skeptics" lose an argument then there's less potential for FUD, and bullish predictions could even become true Wink

I agree that the transaction fee problem is not trivial, and as you already wrote LN is still a bit difficult to use. My hopes are largely centered on sidechains as they are as easy to use as any altcoin. With Stacks an interesting and working model already exists, but it's still too centralized. If we had a Stacks fork without a single business behind it that benefitted from premined coins, then I'd happily try it out and promote it Smiley (same goes for rollups but they're still not possible with current Bitcoin Script opcodes).

Agree with you but the change has happened and continues to happen in the opposite direction.
Judging from the lukewarm response to this thread, I agree that the "currency/cash" aspect is currently not very popular.

However, we could be close to a turning point. The ICO, DeFi and NFT waves (which benefitted mostly Ethereum, by the way, although Bitcoin had its own recent NFT monkey wave) have ended or are fading out. So while currently the "hodler"/"digital gold" narrative is perhaps the most popular one, the "hole" left from the other failed trends creates some space for alternative narratives, and the "currency" aspect could grow again.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MFahad

Activity: 2464
Merit: 644

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2023, 05:38:05 PM

The people that should be unaware of bearish and bullish season should be the new investors, but the investors that knows the cranium or the rudiments of cryptocurrency and mostly bitcoin should be able to detect when their is a bearish and when their is no bullish, concentrating on a bearish or bullish as investor it depends on your target and what you want to invest more in bitcoins will determine your target, so I believe a lot of investors scrutinised cryptocurrency price both increment and decrement with the graph or chart of the market to know the exact period that will be the season of bullish and bearish before investment.

If an investor targets a price at which he will buy bitcoin then it will be easy for him to take the advantage of bear and bull season and also there is a possibility that he will know about the bear season.

For example if the price is now 30k$ then try to target the price of 24k$ or 25k$ for buying bitcoin so when the price reach to targeted cost then complete your task for processing the procedure of your profit.

Then also fix the value 10 or 20 percent that if you enables to get such percentage then be quite to wait until your invested coin reach to such value so if one don't know about bear and bull then try to follow this rule you will definitely be an investor with great achievement

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
serveria.com
Legendary

Activity: 2240
Merit: 1172

Privacy Servers. Since 2009.

View Profile WWW
September 15, 2023, 10:29:12 PM

Bitcoin's price seems to be caught in a limbo between bull and bear market. Even if we're still 60% above the November 2022 heights, there is again some fear lurking around. I think thus, it's time to remember why Bitcoin could be a much bigger success than it currently is.

Some will know the blog article The Bullish Case for Bitcoin by Vijay Boyapati, which has been transformed into a general introductory book about Bitcoin.

I agree with many of the ideas displayed in the article, but I get the impression that the linear "adoption timeline" the author pleads for, needs an update.

Basically the author argues that Bitcoin adoption will have four stages:

1. Collectible: A thing some people like to collect, even if its value is still undetermined.
2. Store of value: An asset used to store an abstract "value", for example to invest money in it and get the same or more value/money in the future.
3. Medium of exchange: A currency used to purchase goods and services.
4. Unit of account: A currency which can be used as a base to calculate prices.

We've successfully moved away somewhat from Phase 1. But I've got the impression that Bitcoin is currently caught in an intermediate "limbo" with characteristics of the first three stages, but without progress to evolve into the fourth (unit of account) stage. Even more: it seems that people's hopes currently are linked to the store of value concept, and usage as a medium of exchange was already more popular a few years ago. And as a store of value, it's only useful considering very long timespans (>2-3 years) due to harsh volatility.

My theory is that the order for Bitcoin's "bullish case" has to be updated. For me the stages are:

1. Collectible
2. Medium of exchange
3. Store of value
4. Unit of account

Why? There are basically two reasons.

1) The first one is liquidity and demand. Bitcoin's liquidity is better than 10 years ago, but hasn't made significant progress in the last 2-3 years. This makes its market still vulnerable to panic, FOMO, manipulation and other plagues which lead to its erratic price behavior.

If Bitcoin was used more as a medium of exchange, it would have significantly higher liquidity. Because each time you buy and sell something for Bitcoin it's a market operation where you're establishing its value. Even more important: Each time somebody agrees to sell something for Bitcoin, this can be considered a buy offer in the order book.

Thus, with more usage as medium of exchange and "boosted" liquidity, Bitcoin's volatility would probably lower, and it would become a safer store of value. Imagine you wouldn't have to fear an 70-85% depreciation in a bear market cycle but only 30% in the worst case. Would you invest more in it than now?

People also seem to misunderstand the concept of "scarcity". Scarcity is not equal to "limited supply". Scarcity exists when there is more demand than supply. A limited supply helps, but it does not mean something is really scarce. Many altcoins have a more limited supply than Bitcoin but have dramatically failed. Demand is crucial. If demand is erratic and only depends on FOMO cycles, then no reliable store of value can be achieved.

While if there is an explosion of merchants and everyday people accepting Bitcoin, then this means that there's also an explosion of demand. Again: Each of these offers is an offer in an imaginary orderbook where Bitcoin is traded against "real value".

Of course if volatility lowers then the bull runs will become less steep too. But that isn't a problem because Bitcoin has anyway the potential for values largely above $100,000. And that leads us to the second issue:

2) Many people forgot why Bitcoin is such a big innovation. It is the first digital value exchange medium which lacks central intermediaries completely and thus has its known advantages like censorship resistance. All previous attempts needed some kind of "bank" controlling the system.

This is Bitcoin's USP. Bitcoin can be used by anyone, anywhere (where there is Internet access) and anytime, without the need that someone "allows" you to do so. And this characteristic is most useful for a currency, not so much for a store of value. The internet (and this forum) is full of complaints about banks having closed accounts of people and made your life a pain. Bitcoin fixes this (And no, Ethereum and other centralized coins do not really fix it, as their censorship resistances is much lower).

In my opinion, Bitcoin's big advantages all really shine when it's used as a currency. And thus long term success in the future depends if it's used as a medium of exchange or not.

Once a path to currency usage becomes clear, Bitcoin will thus become a reliable store of value. Not before - before it will be subject to the same wild swings we've seen in the past years.

I would even say: There'll be no $200,000+ ("digital gold") Bitcoin without usage as a currency.

(And if you are worried about scalability: There's LN, there's even progress with sidechains, like projects like Stacks or Nomic and rollups show. It's nothing unsolvable.)

Firstly, I have to point out that we're obviously in the bull market atm. You should trust a person who survived 3 bear markets (or was it 4?). And as to the quote marked in bold, I strongly disagree: Bitcoin can and will reach $200k, possibly in 1-2 years already, without becoming a widely-used currency. Just wait and see for yourself.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: