Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:32:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any musicians here? I've got an idea  (Read 1342 times)
sortedmush (OP)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 07:58:49 AM

I'm thinking of starting some kind open music website.

Some kind of drop box thing where we can share bits and pieces of music. We could throw in midi files, audio files, cubase/protools projects, lyrics etc to work on and put back in. I'm not interested in any kind of intellectual property nonsense. Anyone can do anything with anything they find in the box.

Bitcoin donations would be encouraged for downloading tracks, with the intention of spending them on setting up an internet radio station to play finished tracks. (and promote bitcoin)

Just testing the water to see if anyone's interested in doing this with me or has any technical suggestions of how to best pull this off.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2011, 08:08:02 AM

I'm thinking of starting some kind open music website.

Some kind of drop box thing where we can share bits and pieces of music. We could throw in midi files, audio files, cubase/protools projects, lyrics etc to work on and put back in. I'm not interested in any kind of intellectual property nonsense. Anyone can do anything with anything they find in the box.

Bitcoin donations would be encouraged for downloading tracks, with the intention of spending them on setting up an internet radio station to play finished tracks. (and promote bitcoin)

Just testing the water to see if anyone's interested in doing this with me or has any technical suggestions of how to best pull this off.

I am a musician and computer nerd, and am very interested in such a thing.  I have been wanting some sortof Wikipedia/CreativeCommons that would contain all sorts of music (original composition as well as previously-composed music) from all generes and in all sorts of formats (midis, audios, sheet music).  And bitcoin could be used to incentivize uploading of music (and maybe downloading of high-bitrate versions to save bandwidth), for example people can put up bounties for someone to transcribe their favorite solo.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
fetokun

Activity: 210

Presale is live!

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 08:08:52 AM

I'm also a musician, but I didn't quite get what would be the objective of your project.

You mean a tool help people composing together?

sortedmush (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 08:31:53 AM

I am a musician and computer nerd, and am very interested in such a thing.  I have been wanting some sortof Wikipedia/CreativeCommons that would contain all sorts of music (original composition as well as previously-composed music) from all generes and in all sorts of formats (midis, audios, sheet music).  And bitcoin could be used to incentivize uploading of music (and maybe downloading of high-bitrate versions to save bandwidth), for example people can put up bounties for someone to transcribe their favorite solo.

Yeah, any genre any format. I was thinking that if we could focus the project more on composition, then the bulk of the traffic could just be midi. I think the bounties for transcribing idea is fantastic.

I'm also a musician, but I didn't quite get what would be the objective of your project.

You mean a tool help people composing together?

Yeah, pretty much just somewhere to go and share ideas, hopefully with a bitcoin micropayment twist. It's quite an open ended idea.
Mahkul

Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
April 06, 2011, 10:00:54 PM

I am also a musician.

Perhaps we could compose some Bitcoin Anthem together. Smiley

sortedmush (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2011, 11:20:13 AM

I am also a musician.

Smiley I'm not really a lyricist, but I'd be up for producing it..

I'm learning a bit of web programming at the moment. I'm thinking of starting work on some sort of database and interface for exploring, playing and sharing midi parts. Anything from whole tracks to little riffs. So they can be sorted by length, genre, time signature etc. Maybe even some kind of script that transposes the parts too.

If that goes well, it could be linked to a very simple web based sequencer. Just to hear different parts together before downloading them and doing a proper mix.
Mahkul

Merit: 250

Every saint has a past. Every sinner has a future.

View Profile
April 08, 2011, 01:32:41 PM

I am also a musician.

Smiley I'm not really a lyricist, but I'd be up for producing it..

I'm learning a bit of web programming at the moment. I'm thinking of starting work on some sort of database and interface for exploring, playing and sharing midi parts. Anything from whole tracks to little riffs. So they can be sorted by length, genre, time signature etc. Maybe even some kind of script that transposes the parts too.

If that goes well, it could be linked to a very simple web based sequencer. Just to hear different parts together before downloading them and doing a proper mix.

My friend created an online sequencer a few years ago using Flash; it actually was pretty cool. If I can find it, I will post a link.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: