Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 04:30:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Michael Jordan a gambling addict ?  (Read 476 times)
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2366
Merit: 1347

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
December 21, 2023, 08:47:28 PM

It is incredible to read things like; "... if you can afford to lose money, you are not an addict,"really!  it is total ignorance, I mentioned it in another Thread of these typical of addiction, it is not about having a balance of $1 or a balance of $1 million is a symptomatic condition.

Under this symptomatic condition it necessarily has its side effects that manifest under certain symptoms, then, a guy does not stop being a drug addict because he does not consume, hence, a gambler is the same and these types of pathologies lead to others mental problems such as depression.

To know if MJ is addicted, he must be diagnosed, there are such complex tests these days that determine it and in this case there is potential given his background, anyway it is not about running out of money or Spending money that you can afford to lose, I thought people understood that this popular phrase is used to contain subsequent economic problems is not a cure for gambling addiction.

#TBT topic with different contexts.
*Divorce, alcohol problems, and the fact that his ex-wife took more than 150 million from him, perhaps shaded his wife's comments regarding the subject of gambling. But that has nothing to do with being the best athlete of all time.

Smart comment. I agree with you.
You can be winning millions of dollars, be in a great financial condition, providing for your family from gambling and still be an addict. You don't measure addiction by how wealthy someone is, whether he's winning or not and how much and if the person is successful in his job. For instance, a millionaire with a steady job, a family, who usually wins at poker can be considered an addict if he plays that poker every single day and can't function without gambling. Many drug addicts think they aren't addicted, but try separating them from their drugs and you'll see the truth.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
ChiBitCTy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 3011

View Profile
December 21, 2023, 09:23:09 PM

He takes care of his family, far from broke and gambling brings him entertainment.. so my question, would MJ be considered an addict?  I argue he's not.  He just loves to do it, but any negative effects may be literally zero ..

Wiki Definition "Addiction is a neuropsychological disorder characterized by a persistent and intense urge to use a drug or engage in a behaviour that produces natural reward, despite substantial harm and other negative consequences. Repetitive drug use often alters brain function in ways that perpetuate craving, and weakens (but does not completely negate) self-control.[1] This phenomenon – drugs reshaping brain function – has led to an understanding of addiction as a brain disorder with a complex variety of psychosocial as well as neurobiological (and thus involuntary)[a] factors that are implicated in addiction's development.[2][3][4] Classic signs of addiction include compulsive engagement in rewarding stimuli, preoccupation with substances or behavior, and continued use despite negative consequences. Habits and patterns associated with addiction are typically characterized by immediate gratification (short-term reward),[5][6] coupled with delayed deleterious effects (long-term costs).[3][7]"

I think he is an obvious gambling addict and after watching his documentary I feel even more secure in feeling that way.  Michael Jordan has a gambling problem definitely and even though he is tremendously successful and could gamble away a million dollars a day for the rest of his life and be fine, that doesn't change that he is an addict.  Given the definition you are referencing above, I would say he most definitely had his life/career negatively effected by gambling, but then you'd have to believe the conspiracy that he was suspended for the 1994 and 1995 seasons for betting on his team and possibly even the reason his father was murdered...

Yeah see I was hoping someone would bring that in to the conversation.  I had heard the whole leaving the league for the year conspiracy deal..but man, MJ brought back basketball.  He's the best thing to ever happen to the game..I really doubt this was Sterns call..but who knows.  His dad dying because of gambling debts, that to me is more realistic..but who knows.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm not sure there's a clear cut answer but I like see the different thoughts. Sharing this with my buddy who I was arguing about this with me.  Going to lock this now out of respect for Hilarious and Cyrus's time..anything more would just be redundant at this point.  Cheers ya'll.

███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███