Bitcoin Forum
November 22, 2017, 11:23:18 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoind: graceful termination?  (Read 4091 times)
Proofer

Activity: 115

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 04:07:11 AM

bitcoind 0.5.1, Mac OS 10.6.7

When I quit the GUI version, Bitcoin-Qt, it often takes quite a while for it to actually terminate.  I assume it's doing some kind of cleanup, perhaps related to network connections.

I don't see any bitcoind command to accomplish an orderly shutdown.  Is there gentler way than killing the process?
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
Legendary

Activity: 1974

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 04:44:06 AM

use "bitcoind stop" or any equivalent through the JSON-RPC interface.

By the way most of the shutdown time is spent in the database logs cleanup. You can somewhat speed this up by defragmenting all the *.dat files. Significant further speed-up is achieved by the  reorganization of blkindex.dat: use db_dump & db_restore; just be careful to set the DB_CONFIG correctly.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
Proofer

Activity: 115

View Profile
December 16, 2011, 04:57:26 AM

use "bitcoind stop" or any equivalent through the JSON-RPC interface.

By the way most of the shutdown time is spent in the database logs cleanup. You can somewhat speed this up by defragmenting all the *.dat files. Significant further speed-up is achieved by the  reorganization of blkindex.dat: use db_dump & db_restore; just be careful to set the DB_CONFIG correctly.

OK; thanks!

Meanwhile, for any newbies like me...

To get usage and options:
bitcoind -?   #whether bitcoind is running or not
To get a list of commands:
bitcoind help  #when bitcoind is running
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.