Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:36:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Urgent Help Needed for BRD Wallet Bitcoin Recovery  (Read 289 times)
SimonsLu (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 33

View Profile
November 21, 2023, 07:25:40 AM

That is a bit strange. So at first you replaced each Chinese word with the english word, line by line?

Yes,  I replaced each Chinese word with the english word, line by line.

I have checked the BIP039, seed phrase generate and recovery is indpendent.

Using https://github.com/iancoleman/bip39 this tool to generate random words, as you can see, if you choose different language, the words has the same index, but the private/public key is different.
o_e_l_e_o
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 18565

View Profile
November 21, 2023, 09:02:07 AM

I'll probably have to re-visit the BIP39 spec to see how exactly it handles different language wordlists.
The entropy is used to generate the words. The words themselves are what is fed in to PBKDF2 in order to generate your master keys. If you encode the same entropy using different word lists or different languages, then you will have different seed phrases and therefore different wallets.

I am quite surprised in particular at how the Chinese mnemonic only converted correctly to english after using the m/0'/0 path, I mean before using it as an Electrum mnemonic.
The Chinese seed phrase is not convertible to an English seed phrase. As above, even if you encode the same entropy in two different languages, you will end up with two different wallets.

OP - glad you got things sorted, but all your actions were unnecessary. If you enter your seed phrase in any language in to Electrum and check BIP39, although it will tell you "unknown wordlist", it will still let you recover your wallet normally. You should just be able to enter your Chinese seed phrase directly in to Electrum, select BIP39, enter the correct derivation path, and recover your wallet. Certainly this works with a Chinese seed phrase generated via iancoleman.
SimonsLu (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 33

View Profile
November 21, 2023, 09:26:45 AM

OP - glad you got things sorted, but all your actions were unnecessary. If you enter your seed phrase in any language in to Electrum and check BIP39, although it will tell you "unknown wordlist", it will still let you recover your wallet normally. You should just be able to enter your Chinese seed phrase directly in to Electrum, select BIP39, enter the correct derivation path, and recover your wallet. Certainly this works with a Chinese seed phrase generated via iancoleman.

Uh, I tried again and used the Electrum wallet to input the Chinese mnemonic phrase, and indeed, I was able to recover it. Just by checking the existing addresses, I could find them. The main issue was that the input box only had English prompts, and below, it showed 'unknown wordlist.' I thought it didn't support other languages, my misunderstanding.

Anyway, Thanks again.
Cricktor

Activity: 770
Merit: 1132

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
December 24, 2023, 11:02:44 PM

Glad, you recovered your coins and a nice sum-up of the solution by the OP. I want to point out, that the OP didn't mention the crucial language translation step he did with his mnemonic recovery words in most of his posts here. If he had, the solution to the recovery issue would've likely been easier to spot for those who know that the actual normalized words, not their indices, are fed into the 2048x PBKDF2 rounds mill, see e.g. https://learnmeabitcoin.com/technical/mnemonic#mnemonic-to-seed

Just to highlight the importance to try to calm down and think about and report every detail of a problem which you can't solve yourself. Sometimes little details really matter...

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████