Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 09:05:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible to mine bitcoin with my laptop?  (Read 367 times)
JayDDee

Activity: 1397
Merit: 221

View Profile
December 03, 2023, 01:24:05 PM

But I don’t know what you can learn on an old computer. Firstly, you will get a lot of electricity consumption if you mine, let's say 200-300 watts from the wall. And this knowledge cannot be used in modern mining.
New gadgets have communities where you can learn something, but I haven't heard of communities for mining bitcoins on old PCs.

Most of those communities are just shills. Anyway you already stated a good lesson that can be learned from mining on an old PC, mining is power intensive
and produces a lot of heat. That is useful knowledge to have first hand. There's a lot more that can be learned before spending any money. 

Mate2237

Activity: 728
Merit: 580

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2023, 02:45:20 PM

I think this is well suited in Bitcoin Discussion Board since it center on Bitcoin. Using laptop to mine is not advisable because the heat with be too much on the laptop. As a miner you must be online every day and every second and the laptop is not meant to carry out that task and that is why Asic machine was designed to mine Bitcoin. But if it an old desktop computer then it will be manageable because desktop computer is stronger than PC.

But you will have to power the desktop computer with light always because there is no battery in the desktop computer. And if you are avoiding noise from mining then you have to separate yourself from the populated environment to a insolated arena to mine peaceful because definitely you will disturb neighbors with your noise.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
Marvelman

Activity: 1008
Merit: 137

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
December 03, 2023, 03:29:18 PM

It's not necessary to spend anything on gadgets and it's probably counter productive to learning. You'll have to learn how to use the gadget
before you learn anything about mining. Any old PC is ideal for learning, as long as it's no longer needed for important stuff.
But I don’t know what you can learn on an old computer. Firstly, you will get a lot of electricity consumption if you mine, let's say 200-300 watts from the wall. And this knowledge cannot be used in modern mining.
New gadgets have communities where you can learn something, but I haven't heard of communities for mining bitcoins on old PCs.

I wonder if bitcoin is necessarily the option here.  Aren't there some alternative coins that can still be mined just using a regular computer? It seems like I've heard of a few altcoins that don't have ASIC miners yet, so mining is still viable on consumer GPUs.  I think those might be better options for someone just looking to learn with a computer they already own.  No need to invest in specialized hardware that way and  of course, the profits probably arent as high, but it could be an easier way to get started.  I'm no expert though.  Just thinking out loud about what I've picked up from reading here and there.

jacafbiz

Activity: 2072
Merit: 530

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
December 04, 2023, 08:24:46 PM

Though I've been considering it for a while, I've just now made the decision to bring it up in this thread to get additional explanation. Using a laptop, I would like to mine bitcoins. Not just for the sake of making money, the goal is to understand how mining operates without having to buy electricity or an ASIC. I considered purchasing a used ASIC for a low price, but I'm afraid I'll end up with a defective one. An ASIC will probably be too noisy for me to use at home, where I will be mining. After doing some study, I was also considering trying to use the waste heat to offset my house heating, but it just seems too costly and dangerous for what will likely be an essential learning experience.

So, can I mine bitcoin on a laptop? is my query. I just want to know how it all works; I'm not concerned about making money. With almost no chance of winning the block reward, might I download the bitcoin core, operate a full node, and let it hash away, content with the knowledge I've gathered along the way?

This will be a futile exercise, Bitcoin network has grown so big that it is not possible for small guys to mine again. I will advise if you are interested in mining, look for these new POW projects and play around with them, it may be profitable in future.

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1047

View Profile
December 06, 2023, 11:55:46 AM

It's not necessary to spend anything on gadgets and it's probably counter productive to learning. You'll have to learn how to use the gadget
before you learn anything about mining. Any old PC is ideal for learning, as long as it's no longer needed for important stuff.

I wonder if bitcoin is necessarily the option here.  Aren't there some alternative coins that can still be mined just using a regular computer? It seems like I've heard of a few altcoins that don't have ASIC miners yet, so mining is still viable on consumer GPUs.  I think those might be better options for someone just looking to learn with a computer they already own.  No need to invest in specialized hardware that way and  of course, the profits probably arent as high, but it could be an easier way to get started.  I'm no expert though.  Just thinking out loud about what I've picked up from reading here and there.
What altcoin mining skills will you learn on a personal computer?
If it is an old computer, then mining on an old processor and an old video card is unprofitable.
Download and run the miner - that's all you can do. If it is compatible with your old computer hardware.
Or maybe you download software with viruses. Experienced miners use Hive OS, Raven OS and others.
Marvelman

Activity: 1008
Merit: 137

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
December 06, 2023, 05:25:56 PM

If it is an old computer, then mining on an old processor and an old video card is unprofitable.
Download and run the miner - that's all you can do. If it is compatible with your old computer hardware.
Or maybe you download software with viruses. Experienced miners use Hive OS, Raven OS and others.

I know it's unprofitable to mine anything on a laptop. And even on a computer with a good graphics card. Unless he has free electricity. But, the OP said "I just want to know how it all works; I'm not concerned about making money."

So, I thought it would be more useful for him if he could actually mine something. With Bitcoin, that's practically impossible.

JayDDee

Activity: 1397
Merit: 221

View Profile
December 06, 2023, 07:29:04 PM

I already answered that question. It's also a false argument that because you find nothing to learn
there is nothing to learn. Move on.

FP91G
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1047

View Profile
December 07, 2023, 10:50:54 AM

I already answered that question. It's also a false argument that because you find nothing to learn
there is nothing to learn. Move on.
It is imperative to study, but now is not 2013, when most miners with video cards mined at home.
Mining has changed a lot since then and a home PC is no longer sufficient for mining.
If you want to learn mining, you can assemble a mining farm from cheap old NVIDIA P106-100 video cards. In Russia, their price is 25 dollars and the payback period is less than 3 months at an electricity price of 5 cents
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: