Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 09:45:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining to break even?  (Read 94 times)
l008com II (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2024, 06:14:44 AM

I did some mining about 10 years ago. Just some light stuff with a single tower and two decent GPUs. I kept all the coins I mined and they're worth a pretty penny today. I'm not rich or anything, but its nice to have.

So I'm wondering if theres a way coin you can mine these days but with a different goal in mind: breaking even.

I'd want a coin I could mine and sell everything I mine right away for USD. No holding and investing and seeing which way the markets lean. Just in and out. And I'd like to do this with just an old tower or two or three using GPUs. So a coin like bitcoin clearly wouldn't work. A CPU only coin would be nice but I don't think thats really a thing is it?

My goal in this endeavor would just be to break even. To have my coin income match or maybe be slightly large than the electricity expense.

Is something like this a reality and today crypto world?

Why would you want to mine coins if you're just breaking even, it seems pointless? Spoken like a hypothetical person who lives in a very temperate climate. If I could load up my house with old mac pros running not so old GPUs booted into Windows 7 mining coins, i could save hundreds if not thousands of dollars on home heating oil every Winter. That heat you generate from mining coin is only wasted energy in the Summer. In the winter heat is a valuable resource!

My total cost for electricity with supply and delivery and all the misc fees is about 44¢ per kWh.

What I ended up doing 10 years ago was mining litecoin, then trading that in for bitcoin. Then once I gave up on the litecoin, I switched over to mining doge. And I mined that until it's mining merged and the blocksize shot way down. Then I parted out the machine and retired.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gabrics

Activity: 183
Merit: 112

Just digging around

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2024, 09:23:33 AM

44c/kWh is that a typo? I mean that is horribly expensive even by EU prices.
Doing anything at that rate is pretty much out of the question IMHO.
l008com II (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 22, 2024, 11:24:13 AM

Well it's possible i was interpreting my bill wrong, maybe some of the charges were flat fees that were listed as if they were by the kwh. I'll look at a few other bills and see.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: