Bitcoin Forum
September 30, 2024, 09:25:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CryptoSteel - for Seed Phrase and Password Storage  (Read 246 times)
Tigerheart3026

Activity: 1013
Merit: 113

Buzz App - Spin wheel, farm rewards

View Profile
December 03, 2023, 01:30:16 PM

is it only can be used only for bitcoin password storage? or i can use it for multi currencies seed phrase back up.
i saw cryptosteel wallet first time so that i have no idea how it works, looks like it's a offline back up,
but still i haven't figured out what the advantages or disadvantages to use this key back up storage.

Z-tight

Activity: 994
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 03, 2023, 02:54:35 PM

Am very fascinated by such discovery, because up until now, I have not known of a hardware or manual means to safely store seed phrases or passwords without being bothered by close friends or relatives stealing them or hackers or disaster wreaking damage.
How then have you been storing your seed phrase, do you use a self custodial wallet? And if you do, how do you make backups of your seed phrase, or don't you. It is either you write your seed phrase down on paper or you use solutions like engraving it on a stainless steel or securing it with washers.
i saw cryptosteel wallet first time so that i have no idea how it works, looks like it's a offline back up,
but still i haven't figured out what the advantages or disadvantages to use this key back up storage.
Cryptosteel is not a wallet, it is a backup method for BTC. It is an offline backup and it should not take you time to find out how to use it if you get one. The advantages of using this method of back up is that it is offline, it is resistant to humidity and other stuffs that may destroy your paper back up, like flood and fire.

Churchillvv

Activity: 532
Merit: 276

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2023, 06:02:39 PM

You have mention the above characteristics of the crypto steel but what about RUST ? Is there any guarantee that it can get rust ?
Are you familiar with the basics of chemistry? How do you imagine rust forming on stainless steel?
I may not be familiar with the basics of chemistry but can you prove that rust does not form on stainless steel?
Here is an image of a rusted steel bolt so does that not show that what feel is safer may not be safe as you speculate?
Let's say I like to be rational because everything that has advantages also has disadvantages, but the so called reason for asking such question in the first place to reduce the illusion created around crypto steels.
May be everyone likes to agree to ideas but I disagree with some ideas to make sure we disagree and then agree on one thing to make a fact solid.
@m2017 you may be more experienced than I am in the forum but have you considered the person behind the name and the rank in the forum? A professor could be making a point but because his low in rank does not mean he or she doesn't know what his saying. Boiling down to the end of the matter one can by such act of disagreeing make others go to make more research and find a more safer ways to safe guiding one's BTC hence not just relaying on one proclaim solution.

Even when kept in a stuffy place it can get heat and by contacting with each surface can get rusted.
Then don't store in a stuffy place and fill the cryptosteel container with machine oil or something like that (not flammable). If you don't know, rust (oxide) forms when it comes into contact with oxygen (the oil will prevent this from happening).
Okay you finally agree that stainless steels could get rust but can be prevented with oil So what exactly brought out the idea of applying oil to the cryptosteel to prevent rust? was it not my low experienced question ?. Hope you see the prove of what I'm trying to impact rationality makes a fact solid.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: