Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 10:02:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is responsible for upgrading the Bitcoin network?  (Read 44 times)
bluebit25 (OP)

Activity: 1638
Merit: 292

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2023, 03:46:38 AM

Because some friends asked me about this, with the Bitcoin Ordinals controversy and the proposal to remove the inscription, many people wonder who is responsible for upgrading the Bitcoin network? Although I am not sure about the knowledge I am understanding, I can express that it does not require the consensus of the majority of the community

- developers: They suggest and develop upgrades or improvements. The Bitcoin development community is very decentralized with participation from everywhere, working privately or for a company, with many contributors of advice working on different aspects of contributing to the open source code of Bitcoins.

- miners: They play an important role as they need to accept and implement changes in their mining operations. Miner acceptance is important for a successful upgrade, especially if it requires a hard fork.

- Node Operators: These are individuals or organizations that run the Bitcoin software and confirm transactions. Nodes need to update their software to accept new changes in the protocol.

- user: Bitcoin users, including individuals and businesses, are also part of the upgrade. It matters which new software wallets or versions of Bitcoin they accept.

- exchanges and wallet providers: These entities need to update their systems to ensure compatibility with the new upgrade, ensuring users can trade and make transactions without problems.

We all know that the upgrade process in Bitcoin is based on consensus, which means that a large portion of the network must agree to the upgrade for it to be deployed successfully. We have also had cases where strong disagreements could lead to chain splits, like in 2017 with Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash.

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀