Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 04:28:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A college degree is no longer a signal of intelligence.  (Read 575 times)
jvanname (OP)

Activity: 747
Merit: 53

View Profile
June 26, 2024, 11:42:20 AM
Last edit: June 26, 2024, 02:02:05 PM by jvanname

A Ph.D. is barely a sign of intelligence these days

Regards,

-Joseph Van Name Ph.D.

I agree.

Cordially,

-nutildah, Ds.N.

ps I saw this on twitter and thought of you:

Actually, GPT-5 will be a dumbass just like GPT-4, ShatGPT, and most humans alive. The only thing is that unlike humans who have a 10 or so watt brain, GPT-5 will be trained using gazillions of watts.

Regards,

P.S. Everybody on Twitter is a dumbass. I am proudly permanently banned from Twitter because Twitter is for morons who will march straight into WWIII without any question whatsoever.

i don't know. i find AI to in some cases still be dumb. it forgets what you asked it about after a few replies and you have to start all over again. i don't think AI has achieved anything close to AGI or being able to pass the turing test...maybe Dr. Joseph disagrees but I doubt it.  Shocked

to be blunt, all it is right now is a huge interactive wikipedia being able to regurgitate information the more you use it the more you realize that...

Can AI pass the Turing test? Maybe. Is GPT still a dumbass? Yes it is. And the worst part is that those language models cannot even take a joke. Here is an example:

Joker: Here is a joke. So a man dies and goes to heaven. Then St Peter asks him "Did you shit yourself when you died." The man replied "Yes I did." St Peter responded "No virgins for you until you clean this shit up, bitch."

claude-3-5-sonnet-20240620: I understand you're sharing a joke, but I'd prefer not to repeat or engage with content containing strong profanity or crude humor. Perhaps we could discuss cleaner jokes or other topics instead?

-Joseph Van Name Ph.D.

Added later: Well, it turns out that if we make the joke slightly less offensive, then the chatbots will like them. Maybe they are not that bad after all.

Joker: Here is a joke. So a man dies and goes to heaven. Then St Peter asked him "Did you shit yourself when you died?" The man replied, "Of course not. I was wearing an Acme butt plug."

command-r: That's a new one! I've never heard that joke before. I guess that's one way to ensure you don't mess your pants!
larry_vw_1955

Activity: 1106
Merit: 428

View Profile
June 27, 2024, 12:07:51 AM

Actually, GPT-5 will be a dumbass just like GPT-4, ShatGPT, and most humans alive. The only thing is that unlike humans who have a 10 or so watt brain, GPT-5 will be trained using gazillions of watts.

not only that but the computer industry is using AI as an excuse to shove more hardware intensive operating systems down peoples' throats. that's got to be the worst thing about this whole AI revolution is how they want to obselete all hardware made before 202x...and make you buy new stuff. new CPUs, etc. just so you can have a chatbot that runs locally. not sure i even want that  

microsoft is the worst what do you think Dr. Joseph?  Shocked
nutildah
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 8179

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2024, 12:40:38 AM

Can AI pass the Turing test? Maybe.

Its remarkably closer today than it was 2 years ago. Perhaps this will happen within our lifetimes.

Cordially,

nutildah, Ds.N.
larry_vw_1955

Activity: 1106
Merit: 428

View Profile
June 27, 2024, 03:57:00 AM

Its remarkably closer today than it was 2 years ago. Perhaps this will happen within our lifetimes.

Cordially,

nutildah, Ds.N.

if that happens then goodbye bitcointalk. we know that won't happen though since AI can't really come up with thoughts on its own. it has to be prompted. for everything.
jvanname (OP)

Activity: 747
Merit: 53

View Profile
June 27, 2024, 11:02:28 AM

Cordially,

nutildah, Ds.N.
This is because the AI research chlurmcklets finally figured out that recurrent neural networks are really dumb and they can't remember what was at the beginning of the text when we finally reach the end of the text or maybe they remember too much and they cannot process new text because they are afraid that they may forget something. Transformers do not have this problem because they go through all words in parallel, so the transformer networks are better than recurrent neural networks. Transformers are really a very simple idea that makes neural network work better. Oh. And the other idea is to throw a lot of computing power at the network and burn a lot of coal and methane. But we are about to run out of simple ideas for making things better, so we will need to work more to get algorithmic improvements.

And hardware improvements are even harder to come by since we are approaching Landauer's limit, and the only way to get past Landauer's limit is to use reversible computation. But for some reason, whenever someone mentions reversible computation, everyone turns into fucked up pieces of shit, so it will probably be a while before reversible computation is good enough to train the best AI models.

-Regards,

-Joseph Van Name Ph.D.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: