Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:30:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is GRIN still a thing?  (Read 1116 times)
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1359

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
April 27, 2024, 02:07:26 AM

I think (or hope) that the recent actions, and oversteps, by the US govt will start to remind people why we are here in the first place, and we will see renewed interest in so called "privacy coins".

It was over three decades ago this was published:
https://www.activism.net/cypherpunk/manifesto.html

We the Cypherpunks are dedicated to building anonymous systems. We are defending our privacy with cryptography, with anonymous mail forwarding systems, with digital signatures, and with electronic money.

Cypherpunks write code. We know that someone has to write software to defend privacy, and since we can't get privacy unless we all do, we're going to write it. We publish our code so that our fellow Cypherpunks may practice and play with it. Our code is free for all to use, worldwide. We don't much care if you don't approve of the software we write. We know that software can't be destroyed and that a widely dispersed system can't be shut down.

Fifteen years after that and fifteen years before today, Satoshi launched the first widely dispersed electronic money system that can't be shut down. Ten years ago Monero launched and added significantly more anonymity to the mix. And five years ago Grin launched with an efficient and fairly private blockchain, but more importantly imo a significantly more fair distribution or emission curve.

How do you make sure everyone in the world has a chance to get some coin? The only two viable options on the market today seem to be grin and worldcoin Cheesy

Worldcoin? Isn't that the one created by Sam Altman (the founder of OpenAI)? I wouldn't call it a "privacy coin", especially when it used to collect biometric data from users. Not even the original Worldcoin project (with ticker WDC) has privacy features. Only GRIN and Monero have. They're considered the best privacy coins in the world. Monero has a larger community than GRIN because it's much older. It's also much more active in development and heavily-marketed across the web.

Despite that, GRIN is still going strong (even with declining interest in privacy coins among the general public). With mainstream governments getting stricter against crypto/Blockchain tech, I believe people will turn their attention to GRIN and the likes. It would only be a matter of time before this happens. Who knows how far will the GRIN project go? Cheesy

█████████████████████████
███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tromp
Legendary

Activity: 978
Merit: 1087

View Profile
April 27, 2024, 07:52:36 AM

Worldcoin? Isn't that the one created by Sam Altman (the founder of OpenAI)? I wouldn't call it a "privacy coin", especially when it used to collect biometric data from users.
He didn't claim it as a privacy coin, but as a fairly distributed coin. I strongly disagree however, since worldcoin founders can allocate arbitrary amounts to themselves, with or without making up fake identities.

Not even the original Worldcoin project (with ticker WDC) has privacy features. Only GRIN and Monero have.
The chart at [1] compares privacy features (and scalability) of various coins. Zcash offers the most, but (like Monero) at significant cost in scalability.

[1] https://forum.grin.mw/t/scalability-vs-privacy-chart/8114
jwinterm
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1105

View Profile
April 27, 2024, 08:59:01 AM

I didn't even say "fairly distributed" to be fair, just how do you make sure everyone has a chance to get some (fairly or unfairly I guess), and I used WorldCoin as one (bad) example. We only really know two ways to distribute coins afaik - mining and centralized distributor.
feed_me_a_stray_sat

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 28, 2024, 04:19:46 PM

Very much so. Grin gang is still around and active with development. We're just playing with our highly scalable private by default currency with no addresses or amounts in peace.
Abiky (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1359

www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games

View Profile
April 30, 2024, 01:59:52 AM

The chart at [1] compares privacy features (and scalability) of various coins. Zcash offers the most, but (like Monero) at significant cost in scalability.

[1] https://forum.grin.mw/t/scalability-vs-privacy-chart/8114

Zcash is a corporate coin (Electric Coin Company/ECC), so I wouldn't trust it. Not like Grin or Monero which are community-owned cryptocurrencies. I've read articles online claiming ZEC has a backdoor allowing governments to access sensitive info when they need to. That was during Zcash's initial days when it had a trusted setup. Developers removed the need for a trusted setup with recent network upgrades, but I'm still skeptical.

Good-old GRIN is a much better choice, imo. It's one of the early privacy coins that made use of "Mimblewimble". Just like BEAM. Litecoin even adopted GRIN's privacy tech in its core wallet software. If GRIN development continues, it could become a solid project like Monero. We need as much privacy coins as possible to help counter governments' efforts of taking down mixers for good. Who knows what the future of the crypto industry will be? Cheesy

███████▄▄▀▀███▀▀▄▄███████
████████▄███▄████████
█████▄▄█▀▀███▀▀█▄▄█████
████▀▀██▀██████▀██▀▀████
████▄█████████████▄████
███████▀███████▀███████
████▀█████████████▀████
████▄▄██▄████▄██▄▄████
█████▀▀███▀▄████▀▀█████
████████▀███▀████████
███████▀▀▄▄███▄▄▀▀███████
 CRYPTOGAMES 
 Catch the winning spirit! 
█▄░▀███▌░▄
███▄░▀█░▐██▄
▀▀▀▀▀░░░▀▀▀▀▀
████▌░▐█████▀
████░░█████
███▌░▐███▀
███░░███
██▌░▐█▀
PROGRESSIVE
      JACKPOT      
██░░▄▄
▀▀░░████▄
▄▄▄▄██▀░░▄▄
░░░▀▀█░░▀██▄
███▄░░▀▄░█▀▀
█████░░█░░▄▄█
█████░░██████
█████░░█░░▀▀█
LOW HOUSE
         EDGE         
██▄
███░░░░░░░▄▄
█▀░░░░░░░████
█▄░░░░░░░░█▀
██▄░░░░░░▄█
███▄▄░░▄██▌
██████████
█████████▌
PREMIUM VIP
 MEMBERSHIP 
DICE   ROULETTE   BLACKJACK   KENO   MINESWEEPER   VIDEO POKER   PLINKO   SLOT   LOTTERY
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: