Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 10:46:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Just bought FBTC in my 401k. First time ever holding crypto for retirement.  (Read 371 times)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4485

View Profile
February 12, 2024, 02:31:52 AM

There are probably other people who rather trust companies than themselves. I understand them especially those who are already too old to get into the rabbit hole of technicalities. Of course I prefer to own and keep real Bitcoins myself, but to those who can't handle the heavy responsibilities that it implies, a Bitcoin spot ETF offered by a trusted and popular financial institution is an option. There's still risk of course but others might feel that keeping it personally is riskier.

but holding a share does not mean you own a bitcoin managed by someone else.. you do not own bitcoin by holding shares. you just have beneficial interest in the market price exposure of the index the ETF chooses and the pegging amount the ETF chooses..

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
tbterryboy

Activity: 1932
Merit: 322

View Profile
February 13, 2024, 03:49:54 AM

Sounds good, if there are more people investing in Bitcoin, However as I have always said, I would love if people could directly invest in the Bitcoin and try to own the actual stuff rather than just buying it in some form of ETFs. I understand that there might be some benefits for buying ETFs which I do not understand or know of, but I would simply purchase Bits directly. Retirement plan is a must!
Pretty much this.  What is the point really.  I get there is a financial benefit and profit you could earn but this removes all the fun and purpose of Bitcoin to replace it with hope for a profit.  It makes no sense to me.  Bitcoin offers an opportunity to financial freedom like never before.  And experiencing that is the most fun part of it.
So, people who buy Bitcoin through an ETF get additional financial benefits and profit apart from the rising value of Bitcoin? I didn't know this, I guess I need to do some reading about ETFs, investments and their pros and cons, etc.

Anyway, just like any other Bitcoin user from the past, I'm not a fan of buying Bitcoin or any cryptocurrency through a third-party that would have possession of my assets instead of myself. I know that most of us use third-party exchange platforms to make purchases, but they give us complete freedom to withdraw and keep our assets with ourselves in our private wallets. There is no fun and meaning in having Bitcoin if you don't have the freedom to hide it from the world and don't let anyone know how much you have and where and how you spend it.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: