Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:56:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem sending bitcoin  (Read 715 times)
pinksheep (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 03:58:18 PM

Before sending my BTC to my paper wallet, I decided to try it out one more time with a few cents. I sent 10 cents & paid a 5 cents transaction fee. An hour has passed & when I look at the transaction in Blockchain.info, it still only has 2 confirmations & these were both made a few minutes after I did the transaction. How many confirmations does it have to have before it's confirmed & is it possible that it's slower because it's the weekend? Also could it be that because it's such a small amount, it's regarded as 'dust' & ignored?

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
softron

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 05:07:36 PM

Its fine You just need 1 confirmation. It seems mined blocks are taking a bit longer.

fatguyyyyy

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

Bitcoin Mixer: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2014, 05:22:26 PM

Sometimes it can take up to 1hr.

BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2014, 05:28:16 PM

If you want to post (or PM me) your transaction ID then I/we can look into it for you.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 05:32:19 PM

Thanks everyone. BurtW it has now been confirmed but maybe you could help me with another problem which has arisen. I tried to import the private keys of this paper wallet into my blockchain wallet & it just says 'error importing private key: unknown key format. I did it yesterday with the same private key & it worked. What could be wrong? I have tried it 4 times now & checked that I have each digit correct. I would be very worried if I thought this could happen to a paper wallet with a meaningful amount of BTC in it.

PRIMEDICE
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 05:40:30 PM

Thanks everyone. BurtW it has now been confirmed but maybe you could help me with another problem which has arisen. I tried to import the private keys of this paper wallet into my blockchain wallet & it just says 'error importing private key: unknown key format. I did it yesterday with the same private key & it worked. What could be wrong? I have tried it 4 times now & checked that I have each digit correct. I would be very worried if I thought this could happen to a paper wallet with a meaningful amount of BTC in it.

Try going to bitaddress.org and see if it works there.
pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 29, 2014, 05:46:10 PM

Thanks, my mistake, the problem lies in my own not so neat handwriting Smiley The way I had written U made it look like 2 Ls.

PRIMEDICE
fatguyyyyy

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

Bitcoin Mixer: https://BitLaunder.com

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2014, 05:48:47 PM

Thanks, my mistake, the problem lies in my own not so neat handwriting Smiley The way I had written U made it look like 2 Ls.

Human error, is quite common.  Wink

Elerntta

Activity: 490
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 06:56:35 PM

I have never had a problem like that. If it happen now I know what to do

MINTER - WE MINT COINS AND CREATE THE INTERNET OF MONEY
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Telegram  |  Bip Wallet  |  Twitter
pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:15:10 PM

How many confirmations does a transaction need before it's complete (if that's the correct term Smiley ? I have sent a few cents to my paper wallet to try it out, the transaction now has 5 confirmations, could I go ahead & send my BTC now? Does 5 confirmations mean the paper wallet is OK for use?

PRIMEDICE
byt411

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:50:40 PM

How many confirmations does a transaction need before it's complete (if that's the correct term Smiley ? I have sent a few cents to my paper wallet to try it out, the transaction now has 5 confirmations, could I go ahead & send my BTC now? Does 5 confirmations mean the paper wallet is OK for use?
If you recieve some bitcoins for payment, it's better if you wait for 1 confirmation, and if it's a lot of bitcoins, then 2 confirmations.
For "Complete", 0 confirmations is complete. Confirmations just ensure that the funds are valid.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
March 31, 2014, 03:55:13 PM

Transfering money to your paperwallet is not the crucial question. Important is if you can spend the money you send there, thats what you need to check. What good are your xy coins on your ultrasafe wallet, when you can not spend them in the future?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 03:57:22 PM

There is no magic number.

As a "rule of thumb", many people decide that they are comfortable after 6 confirmations.  As such, many wallets won't tell you that a transaction is "fully confirmed" until it has at least 6 confirmations.  Some other wallets and services will indicate that that the transaction is confirmed after 3 confirmations.  I think blockchain.info displays the transaction as confirmed once it has 1 confirmation.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Confirmation
There is nothing special about the default, often-cited figure of 6 confirmations. It was chosen based on the assumption that an attacker is unlikely to amass more than 10% of the hashrate, and that a negligible risk of less than 0.1% is acceptable. Both these figures are arbitrary, however; 6 confirmations are overkill for casual attackers, and at the same time powerless against more dedicated attackers with much more than 10% hashrate.
pinksheep (OP)

View Profile
March 31, 2014, 04:04:21 PM

thank you Smiley

PRIMEDICE
Pages: [1]
  Print