Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:48:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 solo blocks found today  (Read 145 times)
NotFuzzyWarm (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3640
Merit: 2549

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
May 04, 2024, 11:54:38 PM
Merited by hugeblack (6), stompix (2), paid2 (1)

1st was by a miner on -ck solo pool https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5237323.msg64033268#msg64033268
Link to mempool for -ck block

3hrs later another on the solo portion of Kano's pool https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=789369.msg64033145#msg64033145
Link to mempool for Kano block

I imagine the usual crypto 'news' sites will have a field day with this... Grin

Congrats to both winners!

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
May 05, 2024, 12:21:56 AM
Last edit: May 05, 2024, 12:51:27 AM by franky1

you do know these are not solo pools...
the miners do act together to create the strong hash, so not solo

the only difference is the pay out scheme..

EG
CKPOOL runs its own bitcoin node with its mempool list of transactions
https://solo.ckpool.org/pool.txns
ckpool collates its chosen transactions and forms block templates at the pools server end..  and then sets a nonce range (using miners payoutaddress for slight randomness) but they all work on a certain template at the same time. thus its still a pool.
but the winning miner of the pool gets majority of the win rather than a small share of the win
so the security of difficult hash and working on the same template is still all pool managed. but the only main difference is just the reward share
all other pools work the same way in regards to pooling their resources on a template. but the only difference is the share of the reward
thus its not true solo. its still pool mining but just the payout is different

true solo MINING is about solo MINING of independently collated block templates.. solo mining is not about just solo rewarding

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
NotFuzzyWarm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2024, 12:26:38 AM

Just because a pool is used to provide the reliable and fast back end long haul connections does not mean the miners are not solo. The recipient of the Block Rewards is one person. All the pool operators get is a tiny % of that. They (the miner) and they alone provided all of the hash power used. Now did said miners actually *own* the hardware - no. They were very large rentals pointed at the pools.

That fits my definition of Solo perfectly.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2024, 12:52:32 AM

then you might want to learn how MINING works and how the MINING is pooled..
(hint: whom collates and organises the transaction list of the template the miners work on)

Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4508
Merit: 1819

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
May 05, 2024, 01:38:01 AM

then you might want to learn how MINING works and how the MINING is pooled..
(hint: whom collates and organises the transaction list of the template the miners work on)
The terms: pplns mining, solo mining and PPS(xyz) mining, refer to how the rewards are distributed.

It should not matter who generates the template, if they are using the basic bitcoin getblocktemplace command, and not fucking with the transactions selected i.e. not being stupid and using stratumv2 or modifying the transaction list returned by get getblocktemplate, before distributing the merkle slice to the miners.

In the case of my pool, it is indeed free of such transaction bias.

The point of using my resources for mining, PPLNS or SOLO, is to have one of the best, worldwide, block distribution networks around, to minimse the chance of losing your block due to being orphaned.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
franky1
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2024, 02:33:02 AM
Last edit: May 05, 2024, 02:51:46 AM by franky1

mining is the activity not the payment
the work not the wage
the job not the salary

the work, activity, job is POOL mining

the type of payment is separate variable unrelated to pool mining
as you even suggest there is many payment options, but all pool. so you suggesting your solo mining even though all your changing is the payment splits.. does not mean its solo mining its solo paying

if i was in the wild west mining in my own pit of my own land im a solo miner
if i am mining someone else plot of land along with other people its no longer solo.. even if i get paid 0.001% or 99% of what the mine finds

if you own your own car and advertise it to sell it and keep the sale value thats a solo sale
but when you work with other sales people for a car dealership working under their work conditions using their cars you are not a sole trader. you are pooled team of the dealership, whether you are on shared salary or commission

i could list other analogies, but..
do you even know the difference between real life things like being a worker of a manager vs being self employed running your own independent business

do you understand that an asic does not have a hard drive to do its own mempool transaction selection

but i do love how you admit
In the case of my pool, it is indeed free of such transaction bias.

The point of using my resources for mining, PPLNS or SOLO, is to have one of the best, worldwide, block distribution networks around, to minimse the chance of losing your block due to being orphaned.

now if they truly were solo mining they would have solo control to be able to not pay
bc1q28kkr5hk4gnqe3evma6runjrd2pvqyp8fpwfzu   ‎0.06992436 BTC
aka not need to pay you kano

but you would reject their block if they were to solo 'f**k around', 'be stupid' , 'modify',  decide to make their own template without you

dansus021
Copper Member

Activity: 2016
Merit: 917

Part of AOBT - English Translator to Indonesia

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2024, 02:51:26 AM

Congratulations for both winner one single block is just like winning lottery haha so enjoy the Lamborghini Grin is the winner from the forum aswell ?

Damn how many hash he need to get the one block it must be a lot

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄░░▄▄█▄▄
███░░░░███░░░░███
░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░
▀██████████
░░░░░███░░░░
░░░░░███▄█░░░
░░██▌░░███░▀░░██▌
█░██░░███░░░██
█▀▀▀█▌░███░░█▀▀▀█▌
▄█▄░░░██▄███▄█▄░░▄██▄
▄███▄
░░░░▀██▄▀
REGIONAL
SPONSOR
███▀██▀███▀█▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀██
██░▀░██░█░███░▀██░███▄█
█▄███▄██▄████▄████▄▄▄██
██▀ ▀███▀▀░▀██▀▀▀██████
███▄███░▄▀██████▀█▀█▀▀█
████▀▀██▄▀█████▄█▀███▄█
███▄▄▄████████▄█▄▀█████
███▀▀▀████████████▄▀███
███▄░▄█▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▄███
███████▄██▄▌████▀▀█████
▀██▄█████▄█▄▄▄██▄████▀
▀▀██████████▄▄███▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
EUROPEAN
BETTING
PARTNER
NotFuzzyWarm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2024, 03:37:53 AM

Per https://www.blockchain-council.org/cryptocurrency/solo-mining-works/
Solo mining involves independently conducting the mining process, relying solely on hardware hash power and network difficulty for success.
Despite the potential for high returns, solo mining requires substantial capital investment and patience, as success is not guaranteed and may take years
Note that nothing is said about who creates the block template used so using a service like -ck's or Kano's to generate it still fits the bill.
and
Pool mining involves miners combining their resources to increase their chances of finding blocks and receiving rewards as a group.
Other mining reference sources pretty much say the same thing.

As Kano said the difference is the payment distribution - is it all to one miner (solo) or is it distributed amongst pool users.

HideYourKeys

Activity: 127
Merit: 110

Metal Seed Phrase at the lowest price! From 36.99

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2024, 07:56:19 AM

If bit axes and nerd miners get popular, specially the first ones, we might see a bunch of solo mined blocks every week

█▀ █▀▀ █▀▀ █▀▄   █▀█ █░█ █▀█ ▄▀█ █▀ █▀▀   █ █▄░█   █▀▄▀█ █▀▀ ▀█▀ ▄▀█ █░░
▄█ ██▄ ██▄ █▄▀   █▀▀ █▀█ █▀▄ █▀█ ▄█ ██▄   █ █░▀█   █░▀░█ ██▄ ░█░ █▀█ █▄▄
hideyourkeys.io
DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3486
Merit: 6304

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2024, 01:17:25 PM

Stupid question because I am too lazy to look. I know Via BTC and a couple of other pools offer solo mining, do we know if they put anything different in the coinbase tag or does it just show as any other block? Does not really matter in the long run, but if it just shows as any of their other tags like the ones shown here:
https://mempool.space/mining/pool/viabtc

Then for all we know 1/2 of those blocks are solo blocks....

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
NotFuzzyWarm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2024, 03:17:34 PM
Last edit: May 05, 2024, 04:06:40 PM by NotFuzzyWarm

Now that^^ is a good point.
Considering the payout most (non-solo) folks get from those pools it is highly unlikely that solo users make up a significant portion of their block finds. That said, yes it would be interesting to be able to know how many they get.

On the obverse side of he coin, what about OCEAN? They distribute the rewards. But, since they use Stratum V2 and each miner can decide what work their block contains does that mean that they are solo mining if said miners hardware cracks their block of unique work? By most definitions, because the rewards are still distributed amongst the pool users - no.

DaveF
Legendary

Activity: 3486
Merit: 6304

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2024, 04:03:07 PM

Now that^^ is a good point.
Considering the payout most (non-solo) folks get from those pools it is highly unlikely that their solo users make up a significant portion of their block finds. That said, yes it would be interesting to be able to know how many they get.

A large(ish) issue is unless they tell us is that we will never know.

We know the address that VIA mines to for the most part
We know the tag that VIA has in most of their blocks.
But if for privacy reasons (or other reasons) when mining solo their coinbase tag looks like one of the tags here:
https://mempool.space/mining/pool/unknown

Probably not, but there is no way to say 100% not.

<shrug> Outside of academic interest does it really matter?

-Dave

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀