Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 05:21:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Need help identifying wallet file from 2010 MS DOS mining!  (Read 383 times)
Cricktor

Activity: 756
Merit: 1111

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
April 22, 2024, 02:42:50 PM

Maybe he has mined 12 blocks and confuse that with (bitcoins) ! Huh Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
back to 2010 this is very possible!

It's certainly possible, since we don't know which mining software he used.

There were also some shady mining software packages out there that targeted people with little to no knowledge. Sort of zero configuration, nice looking and pretending it mines the hell out of your gear when in fact the miner stole your computing ressources and mined to addresses of the malicious creators.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
inuken (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2024, 05:03:18 PM
Last edit: April 22, 2024, 05:56:14 PM by inuken

It was all done through cmd msdos, at that time I didnt know about any wallets, just followed a guide cluelessly from THIS VERY WEBSITE to set it all up and mine. Most of early posts on these forums dont exist anymore somewhow.
All files were in a folder called Bitcoin you downloaded from here as well. Not in the app folder like nowadays that you have to install bitcoin core.
Never got to know my bitcoin address either. Was clueless like most everyone else at that time, its easy to talk now.
Its just ms dos, you mined bitcoin windowed, and league of legends would stutter and become unplayable.
Said Mining...
Then the coin count on the bottom..

Stop talking about msdos. You likely ran a CPU or a GPU miner executable file from the CMD window that's available from Windows XP or 7, popular at that time. That wasn't any msdos exe at all.

If this miner was connected to a mining pool, it is possible that you mined Bitcoins in single units for the shares you mined than a full block reward of 50BTC in that period. It's unlikely that you mined solo without a pool as that would've required a bitcoind node running. And I don't think you mined solo targeted at a solo mining pool like ckpool, which iirc didn't exist in 2010.

Assuming you mined to a pool, here's a problem when you're clueless as you state it. You would've had to setup your own receiving Bitcoin address to which the pool should've paid out your shares.

It wasn't uncommon that those miner packages (zip archives) had a working configuration with a receiving address of the miner.exe creator. The docs said that you would've to change that address with your own mining address. The miner software creator benefitted from those dummies who didn't change the address for whatever reason. During a short test of the miner exe it always worked fine, no-one wants to see error messages or burn coins for nothing.

Never got to know my bitcoin address either. Was clueless like most everyone else at that time, its easy to talk now.

This more or less tells me, that you very very likely don't have any coins from 2010 in your possession or any wallet file you now desperately try to find. I'm not 100% sure about that, but all what you have written so far is very much conclusive with my assumption.

How do I know? Well, in 2011 I mined with iirc bfgminer.exe or cgminer.exe (don't remember exactly which one) pointed at Eligius pool. But contrary to you, I had setup a Bitcoin-GUI wallet.dat and have taken a specific Bitcoin address from my personal wallet to mine on Eligius pool. Once I reached payout limit, I got Bitcoin crumbles transfered directly via coinbase transaction from Eligius pool into my wallet. Still fond of those incoming transactions with the mining icon attached to them.

I don't remember exactly since when GPU mining started to be a thing and bfgminer or cgminer or whatever was the hot shit.

I wish for you that I'm wrong and am a bit sorry to be a party crasher, but the evidence you presented isn't the best for your case.

Finally..

You are 100% correct, finally found someone who knows what Im talking about.
When I say ms dos I mean cmd, I just basically call it ms dos.

This is exactly what I used like you said "bfgminer.exe or cgminer.exe", youve just reminded me. Not sure which one but one of the two, I think cgminer.
And I either mined through a pool which wasnt the one you mentioned "Eligius" it was something else but yea, if it was a pool it was one with "pool" in its name and one of the ones with the most users, if I remember correctly ping was also taken into account as well as language but I could be wrong.
I also remember there was a very simple page you could see all the pools available with a black background and each one of them add different background colors on that text line identifying them by type, rewards, etc.

OR I mined solo.. but like you said rewards were 50 btc each block,.. and all I add was on the cmd window saying "Mining.." and further down on that same window it would show: "1.. 2.. 3" and so on every few minutes until I stopped mining at about 30 minutes ish with like 8 or 12 btc (one of the two dont remember exactly, I remember seeing the number 8 for sure)

I also remember to see Bitcoin-GUI, but I dont know if I ever used it, if the image above is that then I problem never actually had an address of my own cause I dont remember anything like that image.

Would you know if you had to ask to transfer the bitcoin rewards after mining? Cause all I did was close the cmd window whilst it was mining and never opened it again.

I had/have a Bitcoin folder with all the files backed up into this hardrive btw and recovered all the data as RAW so files are all unamed too.

Thanks mate

Do Pywallet do not.. (or there is not other tools) that scan the whole drive for all wallets, private keys ... Bitcoin related things ??
I am almont sure that there is been such tool existing !! Huh

There was no mining pools on 2010 I think ! Roll Eyes  Or there was ! ?? ??  Roll Eyes   Though I don't think there was command lines games that gives bitcoins or have ever existed Grin  First faucet was created on 2011 ! Tongue
Maybe he has mined 12 blocks and confuse that with (bitcoins) ! Huh Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
back to 2010 this is very possible!

This would be nuts.. can anyone confirm the numbers showing on the bottom are bitcoin or blocks on cgminer back in 2010?

Maybe I mined solo if that was possible cause I remember to look at the pools but I dont remember to choose or set one up, there was another option to set up your mining simpler than using pools (its so hard to remember every detail correctly what Ive done ONCE 14 years ago without paying attention or knowing anything about it even today)

But if you said pools then idk

I remember my league of legends would stutter as if the CPU was maxed out in use not exactly how maxed graphics behave usually but I could be wrong.
Also reading some old archived post from august 2010, was it even possible to find 8 or 12 blocks in 30-60 minutes?

If I had to set up bitcoin-GUI even solo mining, and had to properly stop the cgminer program rather than just close cmd window to get wallet updated with with the right amount of bitcoin rewarded?

2nd question was there a wallet file with cgminer? And was it located in the bitcoin folder? Or where was your wallet address using Bitcoin-GUI located?

I wish for you that I'm wrong and am a bit sorry to be a party crasher, but the evidence you presented isn't the best for your case.

I know what you mean it would be sad if I just mined on a pool without setting up a wallet, or closing the cmd window without doing anything else wouldnt grant me anything or update my wallet or whatever there was a that time, but Id really love to find a way to check my files and be sure about it giving up based on a guess isnt an option, Im sure many people know how to look for bitcoin files from data recoveries.

Does Pywallet searches for cgminer or bitcoin-gui wallet files from 2010?

One thing is trying to guess if I did this or that or have a wallet or not.. another thing is if I knew a way to look over 3k unamed files and find a wallet or whatever was there in 2010 that can be used to find my bitcoin I would just do that and stop guessing.

Thanks all btw
Btcspot

Activity: 186
Merit: 1

View Profile
April 22, 2024, 08:32:58 PM

There may be a way to do it if you know how to use hex editor. Ill give you instructions here.

You can go here download winhex: https://www.x-ways.net/winhex, then you will need to search your recover disk, goto tools and open your disk or go to search and search hex value 0201010420. If it finds a result the wallet key is (probably) after 0420 after the cursor. Write down the 64 digits following 0420 (including the letters) and keep this to yourself it is access to your wallet addresse. Keep searching down and see if you have any more of 0201010420. This mean you probably have funds. Now copy those digits and letters and save them. Then you will be able to have your key funds and can move them to a different wallet. If you need more help ask.
Cricktor

Activity: 756
Merit: 1111

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
April 23, 2024, 06:47:47 PM
Last edit: April 23, 2024, 07:15:01 PM by Cricktor

Would you know if you had to ask to transfer the bitcoin rewards after mining? Cause all I did was close the cmd window whilst it was mining and never opened it again.
Eligius pool had a minimum payout and when that was reached and pool found a block you got your share automatically transfered. I don't remember all details, it may also be that you could set your personal payout threshold and/or schedule a payout request. But I kind of doubt the latter.

Does Pywallet searches for cgminer or bitcoin-gui wallet files from 2010?
Don't know but how about searching in the documentation or Github of Pywallet. You could also search this forum for Pywallet related topics. Hint: it's maybe easier to find good search hits by searching via https://ninjastic.space/search

One thing is trying to guess if I did this or that or have a wallet or not.. another thing is if I knew a way to look over 3k unamed files and find a wallet or whatever was there in 2010 that can be used to find my bitcoin I would just do that and stop guessing.
What kind of a strange backup do you have, why unnamed files? Shouldn't a proper backup restore the original content?

I have seen your screenshots and it isn't helping if an original wallet.dat would be disguised as f93877733.dat.

I had/have a Bitcoin folder with all the files backed up into this hardrive btw and recovered all the data as RAW so files are all unamed too.
I don't understand this part.

Also reading some old archived post from august 2010, was it even possible to find 8 or 12 blocks in 30-60 minutes?
I highly doubt that as mining difficulty adjusts in such a way that all miners should find a block on average after about 10min of mining. It's unlikely that you were the first to mine with a GPU and all others still mined with CPU. And in 2010 you weren't alone with mining.

You might want to actually read what's been discussed in this thread because it's nowhere clear if OP has actually used an instance of Bitcoin-Qt / Bitcoin-GUI or what today's Bitcoin Core was called back in 2010.

As far as I remember when I used it back in 2011 its name was Bitcoin-GUI. It later changed to Bitcoin Core.

The original Bitcoin client encrypted private keys with a completely random master key using AES-256-CBC and this master key was encrypted using AES-256-CBC with a key derived from the wallet passphrase using SHA-512 and some other mangling rounds.
(Rephrased and heavily shortened from source: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Wallet_encryption -- for more details, read the source)

I'm not sure if the described encryption in cited source is still valid for Bitcoin Core. I doubt it was changed because when I read instructions to extract the encryption block for the wallet's master encryption key to crack the wallet's passphrase, I have the feeling that it's all the same as it has been earlier.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████