Samourai Wallet seized by the feds
(1/28) > >>
BlackHatCoiner:
Samourai Wallet has been taken down by the U.S. authorities: https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/founders-and-ceo-cryptocurrency-mixing-service-arrested-and-charged-money-laundering. You can verify by opening samouraiwallet.com (it's under the authorities' control).

Another privacy enhancing tool goes down the road. Apparently, the governments use everything in their disposal to undermine the users' privacy. Samourai team had recently announced that they were developing a decentralized version of whirlpool, using the Soroban network. It could be the case that they foresaw their own disappearance.

Very frustrated. An important reminder and good quote is needed here.
Quote from: satoshi

>You will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography.

Yes, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own.

R.I.P. Samourai.
alani123:
Petter Todd gave a 50% chance Samurai Wallet was run by feds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPNFdhZUGmk

I guess the chance is now 100% ;D

RIP indeed, I hope the tech continues being used via open source anon development though
Charles-Tim:
If there is conjoin campaigs on this forum, theymos could have been planning to ban the conjoin campaigns. But not necessary because there is no conjoin campaign on this forum anymore.

It is possible that Sparrow will be the next target. Only what the government will look for is allegation.
apogio:
So my question is, since the feds control the website, is there a way to control the software that has already been downloaded to users' computers? I guess not.

So, I reckon that the whirlpool servers will go down. I also believe that there will be no more support for the products (samourai & sentinel).

Is there anything else I am missing?

Quote from: Charles-Tim on April 24, 2024, 08:12:48 PM

It is possible that Sparrow will be the next target.

Ouch! That would hurt.
Upgrade00:

"IRS-CI Special Agent in Charge Thomas Fattorusso said: “$2 billion in transactions with an unlicensed money transmitter means $2 billion flowed without any oversight, from whomever to wherever.  Because of the company’s disregard for regulation, it’s alleged that Samourai Wallet laundered more than $100 million in criminal proceeds"
Transactions are not unlawful cause you cannot trace the flow of the transaction. The $2 bliiion seems to have just been thrown in there for shock value, giving them a justification to clamp down on the service.

Cash pretty much allows anyone to transact without regulation or oversight, and way more than $100 million have been used in criminal transactions using it.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page