Samourai Wallet Founders Arrested and Charged With Money Laundering
(1/2) > >>
riverdip:

Federal prosecutors have brought charges against Keonne Rodriguez and William Lonergan Hill, the founders of Samurai Wallet, alleging conspiracy to commit money laundering. This move is part of the U.S. government's ongoing efforts to crack down on crypto mixing tools that could facilitate illicit financial activities and aid foreign entities in concealing fund transfers.

Rodriguez and Hill face charges of conspiracy to commit money laundering and conspiracy to operate an unlicensed money transmitting business. If convicted, they could face up to 20 years and five years in prison, respectively.

Rodriguez was apprehended on Wednesday morning and is expected to be arraigned in Pennsylvania either today or tomorrow. Meanwhile, Hill, serving as Samourai Wallet’s Chief Technology Officer, was arrested in Portugal on the same day and will be extradited to the United States.

Additionally, authorities have seized the Samourai Wallet website, previously hosted in Iceland, and obtained a warrant to seize Samourai's mobile application from the Google Play Store.

https://samouraiwallet.com

larry_vw_1955:
Quote from: riverdip on April 25, 2024, 01:56:51 AM

Rodriguez and Hill face charges of conspiracy to commit money laundering and conspiracy to operate an unlicensed money transmitting business. If convicted, they could face up to 20 years and five years in prison, respectively.

some of the harshest penalties are given to people who no one knows like these two guys. no one knew their names. not like they know someone like SBF.

Rodriguez was apprehended on Wednesday morning and is expected to be arraigned in Pennsylvania either today or tomorrow.

if he was living in the USA then that's kind of dumb running an operating like that and trying to live here in America at the same time.

Meanwhile, Hill, serving as Samourai Wallet’s Chief Technology Officer, was arrested in Portugal on the same day and will be extradited to the United States.

I guess his mistake was not living in a country that had no extradition treaty with the USA. if one exists.

Additionally, authorities have seized the Samourai Wallet website, previously hosted in Iceland, and obtained a warrant to seize Samourai's mobile application from the Google Play Store.

https://samouraiwallet.com

bad on iceland for caving in to us government demands.  :'(

bad on portugal too. what you do is tell the usa government to stick it. and don't turn him over. i'll consider portugal to not be very bitcoin friendly along with the usa.  :o
OcTradism:
If I visit the site without Tor, it shows as same as your information, seized.

If I visit the site with Tor browser, the site works.

This is going to be severe for privacy. If they seized Samourai wallet website, arrest Samourai wallet founders, they will do the same with other similar wallets like Wasabi wallet and more.

Tornado Cash, mixers, Samourai wallet, what will be next?

Coindesk article on this case.
larry_vw_1955:
Quote from: OcTradism on April 25, 2024, 02:48:58 AM

probably a cached version.

This is going to be severe for privacy. If they seized Samourai wallet website, arrest Samourai wallet founders, they will do the same with other similar wallets like Wasabi wallet and more.

what will be next is they will eventually go after people running full nodes who facilitate any type of money laundering or illicit transactions. that's what.
riverdip:
Quote from: OcTradism on April 25, 2024, 02:48:58 AM

Coindesk article on this case.

Tornado Cash is on .eth DNS, i wish them luck

PS. i feel bad for good developers being locked up just for developing tech
Navigation
Message Index
Next page