Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:51:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: (Unofficial) [ANN] Litecoin [LTC] to X11 algorithm hardfork  (Read 68435 times)
Xdragon

Activity: 543
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:32:52 PM

without ASICs LTC will never get to the moon   Angry
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Beeker (OP)

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

Meep

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:33:21 PM

There are ASICS for LTC and I don't yet see a moon.

Meep meep
Beeker (OP)

Meep

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:34:49 PM

Why not bring this to the actual Litecoin community on the LTC forums?  

Another option on the LTC forum was to fork LTC to Scrypt-N but it was never picked up by the developers.

Meep meep
othe

Activity: 532

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:39:15 PM

X11 is even worse for litecoin then the scrypt asics.

1) its easy to "asic" it, it doesnt need alot of ram thus making the production cost of chips very low, i guess you can expect awesome speeds even with fpgas...
2) Its easy to cpu mine, makes litecoin very vulnerable to botnet attacks...
3) The only reason it uses only 60% of electricity compared to scrypt is, that the miner is totally unoptimized. The reason it uses so little electricity is simply that the cards aren't working at full power...

I really doubt you get the majority of miners to this, especially not without the ltc devs supporting that, a coin without good devs is a bad investment anyway.

PS: if something like that ever happens, it has to be a community effort including the original ltc devs and not from a bunch of anonymous guys...
Imho, the opportunity was missed todo that, it has been known that scrypt asics will hit the market for several months now, this had to be done before plenty of people preordered ASICs - but it wasnt.

nobodywanttocry

Activity: 126
Merit: 14

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:40:59 PM

don't get nervous,  asic came , bitcoin is still bitcoin . so do LTC.
i know your purpose , LOL.

Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 01:46:28 PM

So basically Hirocoin Darckcoin without all the extra features?

Fixed for you.

Actually Hirocoin and Darkcoin both use X11.

The difference is mainly in the dynamic block reward. Hirocoin has a fixed block reward, while Darkcoin has a dynamic one. They both have some added features. Check out the Darkcoin and Hirocoin Ann :

Hirocoin : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=516349.msg5981984#msg5981984
Darkcoin : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
Raw-H

Activity: 324
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:50:57 PM

Start a new coin or mine darkcoin. You shouldn't hardfork litecoin just because GPU's will be less profitable from it.

I'm seeing no threat from mining companies to take over the network as there are a healthy amount of competitors in the market and the hardware is shipped to the users.

MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 01:52:40 PM

3) The only reason it uses only 60% of electricity compared to scrypt is, that the miner is totally unoptimized. The reason it uses so little electricity is simply that the cards aren't working at full power...

SHA256D mining (Bitcoin) on GPU also uses less power than scrypt.

Does that mean SHA mining for GPU is "unoptimized"?
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
March 30, 2014, 01:53:29 PM

Start a new coin or mine darkcoin. You shouldn't hardfork litecoin just because GPU's will be less profitable from it.

I'm seeing no threat from mining companies to take over the network as there are a healthy amount of competitors in the market and the hardware is shipped to the users.

The majority will decide.
SomeRelax

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:53:43 PM

who are you anyway?
who are in your team?
are you a developer? if so, have you or your team developed any coin?
you want to change, so why just copy&paste X11?
if you are really developers, so you can create a new algorithm or at least add some extra layer to X11
not just copying and pasting

sorry for saying this, but i think its not your specialty but if it is, you'll need litecointalk.org community support too, not just here

or maybe it's just April fool joke
shai_

Activity: 728

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:55:03 PM

Well the approach is different. Instead of just cloning litecoin like the many others you just try to steal the right to develop the coin. No wonder your an anonymous group.

steal the right ? it's open source Smiley
we could also fork bitcoin! its a free open source market.. no ?

anyway i suggest to the OP author to make your own coin..
many people (litecoin/bitcoin early adopters) spent a lot of money and probably litecoins to buy ASICs, won't be fair to hurt them

make your own coin or join a new coin with the POW algo. you like
there are a few new coins and algo. to choose from
DuvajBalone

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:57:16 PM

+1

Also I think it is April's fools joke. Anyone could start topic. Perhaps I just started topic "BTC hardfork, no more ASICs, CPU only botnet proof" lol
kelsey
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 01:58:54 PM

We need the majority to support this to make this hardfork work.

Well that you certainly won't get so why waste your time?

You are not the majority, neither are we.

yes but I am not trying to fork ltc and add a dodgy ass algo that botnets could easily have a field day with. you have a snow balls chance in hell to get the majority....just a few kids who have no idea and are running down the road screaming omg asics is coming  Roll Eyes
Beeker (OP)

Meep

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 02:01:04 PM

Discussiontopic on Litecointalk.org too:

https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=18122.0

Meep meep
Beeker (OP)

Meep

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 02:03:30 PM

+1

Also I think it is April's fools joke. Anyone could start topic. Perhaps I just started topic "BTC hardfork, no more ASICs, CPU only botnet proof" lol

We didn't take AFD into account when we started talking about this topic.
This is not a joke, though we know we will have to proof that.
The project may take up to 6 months, or even longer.

If we feel we have enough support from the majority of the community, we will start to get more supporters onboard.

We love LTC and this development takeover is not hostile.

Meep meep
Bigballs

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 02:08:31 PM

Guys, what you are discussing has already been done. Hirocoin is a litecoin clone with X11 algo. Don't make the mistake of thinking Hiro comes from Darkcoin, which most people believe. And on top of that a lot of blockchain security issues have been addressed. Hirocoin is adapting the best features available into one coin. So take a look at Hirocoin.
losh11

Activity: 299

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 02:11:35 PM

There are ASICS for LTC and I don't yet see a moon.

Gridseed is expensive, slow and uses a lot of power.
Attempting to change the Litecoin PoW is a bad idea - I'm guessing that not a lot of people will use your fork and that will mean there will be a lot of invalids between the official wallet and this wallet.

Warren is a legit programmer working with loads of individuals who are also professionals in their fields, bugs and errors will be more common in your software. By 6 months I've calculated the difficulty to be at above 52,000 (worked out with all current ASICs in the market). The Litecoin community is attempting to keep ASICs cheap and not cost $10,000 with a ROI of 2 days then after delivery of 5 months, making the ROI 18 months.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 02:27:25 PM

Guys, what you are discussing has already been done. Hirocoin is a litecoin clone with X11 algo. Don't make the mistake of thinking Hiro comes from Darkcoin, which most people believe. And on top of that a lot of blockchain security issues have been addressed. Hirocoin is adapting the best features available into one coin. So take a look at Hirocoin.

too bad was ninja launched with huge instamine, i bet my ass that the dev has million and he probably dumped a large portion already seeing how the price is dumped recently

i'm not against instamine if there is an ann and everyone can instamine, but a ninja launch with a bad launch time(was like 7am for hirocoin) plus instamine is simply a giant scam
shiyang1992

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 02:33:26 PM

Change to X11 ?
I don't like the litecoin .
This coin is just like the Dogecoin.
In 2014, it is a year for 2rd generation coins.
Such as , eth, emu, mcs, xcp, nxt ,nem,bts, nex, skycoin ,zerocoin....
btctradingonline

Activity: 131

View Profile
March 30, 2014, 02:38:24 PM

yeah, i'm really happy to get this information, it's fair for all VGA miner.

..C..
........Finally C is .........
...........            ............
       ............            ............
...................      ....................

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: