Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:23:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Just sent this message to wikipedia  (Read 3305 times)
Jeremy West spendbitcoins.com (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 04:55:13 AM

Hi there,

I am interested in making a donation to wikipedia, but I cannot afford a large donation.

If I send you a small donation via paypal, etc., a sizeable percentage will be eaten up in fees, and I want to donate to wikipedia, not paypal, visa or mastercard.

I would like to make the donation via bitcoin, so that wikipedia will receive the entire amount, but I do not see a bitcoin donation address anywhere on your site.

Can you please let me know what bitcoin address I can use to send a donation to?

Highest Regards,
Jeremy West

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Coinabul

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 04:57:27 AM

I've sent something like 5 emails to different people from the WikiMedia organization. They are not interested in bitcoin donations. I know several people even promised a couple hundred or thousand dollars worth in BTC if they put up an address. I think Wikipedia doesn't want to be associated with something that has been used by Wikileaks...

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!
tbdunamis

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 05:08:17 AM

That sounds so immature to not accept Bitcoin because Wikileaks has, if that is the case.
Coinabul

Activity: 588

Coinabul - Gold Unbarred

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 05:10:17 AM

That sounds so immature to not accept Bitcoin because Wikileaks has, if that is the case.
They never said it directly, but it got pretty irritating.

Coinabul.com - Gold Unbarred
Website owners, let me put my ads on your site! PM me!

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 05:22:16 AM

I know they have rejected bitcoin several times, I was just adding one more request to the pile because I was on wikipedia and saw their huge banner begging for donations. Cheesy

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 05:38:59 AM

Hi there,

I am interested in making a donation to wikipedia, but I cannot afford a large donation.

If I send you a small donation via paypal, etc., a sizeable percentage will be eaten up in fees, and I want to donate to wikipedia, not paypal, visa or mastercard.

I would like to make the donation via bitcoin, so that wikipedia will receive the entire amount, but I do not see a bitcoin donation address anywhere on your site.

Can you please let me know what bitcoin address I can use to send a donation to?

Highest Regards,
Jeremy West

Looks good, I wrote once already. I don't remember to which address, what's best to write to to actually get read and maybe a response?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 05:54:31 AM

I will NEVER give wiki ANY bitcoin EVER, they do not deserve it!

one day they WILL post a bitcoin address. everyone on this forum should vow to never give them bitcoin either.

Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 11:04:55 AM

+1 Wikipedia has become an active member of the status quo propaganda squad.

Their "lmoderators" are state-sponsored or bank-sponsored "experts", mostly from academia, i.e with plenty of time on their hands to exert censorship on anything even remotely likely to disturb the establishment.

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 11:09:32 AM
Last edit: December 19, 2011, 08:15:12 PM by Jeremy West spendbitcoins.com

Their "lmoderators" are state-sponsored or bank-sponsored "experts", mostly from academia, i.e with plenty of time on their hands to exert censorship on anything even remotely likely to disturb the establishment.

Perhaps someone here should come up with a competitor to wikipedia. Smiley

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 05:52:52 PM

Perhaps someone here should come up with a competitor to wikileaks. Smiley

A competitor to WikiLeaks? You've been dippin' into Atlas's medication?  Grin

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 08:15:54 PM

Fixed. Smiley

Shuai

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 10:41:54 PM

Providing all the knowledge in the world for free to everyone?

"Status quo propaganda".

Of course wikipedia is not gonna accept/endorse Bitcoins when the only current precedents by lawmakers have been negative. Wikipedia is a big fucking deal, at present its much more important than Bitcoin. It's a bit like Ron Paul not accepting Bitcoin directly, and noone blames him for that.
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 10:49:46 PM
Last edit: December 19, 2011, 11:04:35 PM by PatrickHarnett

I have read several threads like this, and was wonder if people should start putting in different currencies.  For instance, if I want to pay in Philippine peso rather than USD, will they take it?  What about North Korean, Congo wherever?  Some of those currencies are less tradable than bitcoin.  (Their arguments about maintaining charity status are pretty silly.)

Maybe we should really piss them off and say we want to donate gold and diamonds.

Edit: sent them an email with the above sentiment.  Hope they have a happy christmas getting addresses from people at their street appeal if anonymous donations are such a problem for them as a charity.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2011, 11:18:19 PM

Providing all the knowledge in the world for free to everyone?

"Status quo propaganda".

Of course wikipedia is not gonna accept/endorse Bitcoins when the only current precedents by lawmakers have been negative. Wikipedia is a big fucking deal, at present its much more important than Bitcoin. It's a bit like Ron Paul not accepting Bitcoin directly, and noone blames him for that.

meh, wikipedia is really cool. but they are being very uncool when it comes to bitcoin. and with no good reason.

simply put they aren't will to take a tiny risk by Validating Bitcoin. they must believe bitcoin is Dirt, and not worth while....

would you donate to someone that thinks like this?

legolouman

Activity: 504

Decent Programmer to boot!

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 11:20:33 PM

I see what you've done there.

If you love me, you'd give me a Satoshi!
BTC - 1MSzGKh5znbrcEF2qTrtrWBm4ydH5eT49f
LTC - LYeJrmYQQvt6gRQxrDz66XTwtkdodx9udz
Bitcoin 100

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 19, 2011, 11:57:47 PM

I see what you've done there.

Jeremy fixed it, right after taking Atlas's medication.

Here was my latest thoughts on the Wikipedia issue: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50158.msg653388#msg653388

~Bruno~
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 12:44:35 AM

Fairly standard reply.  Glad I'm not relying on cashing in my euro or USD with a government.  I wonder what they would get if they turned up to the federal reserve and said, "here, I'm cashing in my $100".

Dear Patrick,

The Wikimedia Foundation, as a donor-driven organization, has a fiduciary duty to be responsible and prudent with its money. This has been interpreted to mean that we do not accept "artificial" currencies - that is, those not backed by the full faith and credit of an issuing government. We do, however, strive to provide as many methods of donating as possible and continue to monitor Bitcoin with interest and may revisit this position should circumstances change. In the meantime, you may wish to view alternative methods of donation at http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Ways_to_Give
Sincerely,
Heather
Wikimedia Foundation Fundraising
Bitcoin 100

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 12:57:13 AM

Fairly standard reply.  Glad I'm not relying on cashing in my euro or USD with a government.  I wonder what they would get if they turned up to the federal reserve and said, "here, I'm cashing in my $100".

Dear Patrick,

The Wikimedia Foundation, as a donor-driven organization, has a fiduciary duty to be responsible and prudent with its money. This has been interpreted to mean that we do not accept "artificial" currencies - that is, those not backed by the full faith and credit of an issuing government. We do, however, strive to provide as many methods of donating as possible and continue to monitor Bitcoin with interest and may revisit this position should circumstances change. In the meantime, you may wish to view alternative methods of donation at http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Ways_to_Give
Sincerely,
Heather
Wikimedia Foundation Fundraising

I wonder if Heather had help with Wikipedia in the penning of this reply? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiduciary

Furthermore, Wikipedia didn't back down from the FBI, yet has a fiduciary duty to be responsible and prudent with its money. http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/web/08/03/fbi.seal.wikipedia/index.html
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2011, 01:04:21 AM

To those suggesting they are bitcoin haters or in favor of maintaining the status quo:

Give them a fucking break. It is their right to decide if and when they will accept bitcoins. "Watching with interest" is more than their duty. They, like anyone rational, will start accepting them in a heartbeat when they decide it is in their best interest to do so.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
dayfall

Activity: 312
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 01:18:50 AM

"... those not backed by the full faith and credit of an issuing government."

You think they will accept my trillion Zimbabwe dollars?  Eh, their justification is bogus.  I'll take as much SCoin or Ixcoin as anyone will give me.  Right away I'll convert it to BTC of course.

But yeah; if they don't want my support, it is fully their right not to get it.  Wikileaks did.  Wikipedia won't.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: