Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:22:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Just sent this message to wikipedia  (Read 3305 times)
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 01:30:01 AM

Bitcoin is still pretty small potatoes. Giving them to big charities is kinda like tipping with loose change. Save your Bitcoin for the unique things for which it was designed. Bitcoin will have its day and naysayers will one day regret not accepting them sooner.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin 100

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 01:44:40 AM

To those suggesting they are bitcoin haters or in favor of maintaining the status quo:

Give them a fucking break. It is their right to decide if and when they will accept bitcoins. "Watching with interest" is more than their duty. They, like anyone rational, will start accepting them in a heartbeat when they decide it is in their best interest to do so.

Bitcoin is still pretty small potatoes. Giving them to big charities is kinda like tipping with loose change. Save your Bitcoin for the unique things for which it was designed. Bitcoin will have its day and naysayers will one day regret not accepting them sooner.

After reading the two posts, quoted above, I say we move on. The energy used to try to revive a dead Bactrian camel would be better served on other Bitcoin related issues at hand.
Boussac
Legendary

Activity: 1220
Merit: 1015

e-ducat.fr

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2011, 12:48:33 PM

To those suggesting they are bitcoin haters or in favor of maintaining the status quo:

Give them a fucking break. It is their right to decide if and when they will accept bitcoins. "Watching with interest" is more than their duty. They, like anyone rational, will start accepting them in a heartbeat when they decide it is in their best interest to do so.

Your are right: I was a bit too harsh on them.

I guess my feelings towards wikipedia relate to some bad experience I had trying to propose an article and discovering I was dealing with a kind of anonymous, headless bureaucracy. However I will not assume it is always the case as most articles are very well edited.

They are up to a task that is not simple and they do provide a very useful service.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2011, 07:44:25 PM

Your are right: I was a bit too harsh on them.

I guess my feelings towards wikipedia relate to some bad experience I had trying to propose an article and discovering I was dealing with a kind of anonymous, headless bureaucracy. However I will not assume it is always the case as most articles are very well edited.

They are up to a task that is not simple and they do provide a very useful service.

But what if there were a campaign, of sorts, to donate exactly 1 BTC (valued up to $10 USD) to every one of the currently one million plus unpaid editors who desire Bitcoin? How disruptive would that be?

Currently unpaid for your volunteering efforts? Don't have to be--Bitcoin!

~Bruno~
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2011, 08:05:13 PM

But what if there were a campaign, of sorts, to donate exactly 1 BTC (valued up to $10 USD) to every one of the currently one million plus unpaid editors who desire Bitcoin? How disruptive would that be?

That would be pretty disruptive to Bitcoin, that's for sure... though perhaps in a positive way (price going up).  It would also be a disruption I think Wikipedia would find unwelcome.

Wikipedia would frown on it for the same reason they are against advertising.  It's already against the rules to accept paid engagements for writing or editing Wikipedia.  I think Wikipedia would consider it non-kosher to even have editors put bitcoin addresses on their user pages.  That's because there's a reasonable fear that someone who suddenly started editing with a bias might see anonymous donations for doing so.  Every corporation would, instead of editing their own wikipedia article, would start donating anonymously to everyone who made edits in their favor in order to encourage more of it.  That would be real damage to Wikipedia, not worth a few extra donations.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 27, 2011, 04:20:37 AM

That would be pretty disruptive to Bitcoin, that's for sure... though perhaps in a positive way (price going up).  It would also be a disruption I think Wikipedia would find unwelcome.

Wikipedia would frown on it for the same reason they are against advertising.  It's already against the rules to accept paid engagements for writing or editing Wikipedia.  I think Wikipedia would consider it non-kosher to even have editors put bitcoin addresses on their user pages.  That's because there's a reasonable fear that someone who suddenly started editing with a bias might see anonymous donations for doing so.  Every corporation would, instead of editing their own wikipedia article, would start donating anonymously to everyone who made edits in their favor in order to encourage more of it.  That would be real damage to Wikipedia, not worth a few extra donations.

A very informative post, casascius. Makes it pretty damn hard for me to punch holes in your logic, so I won't even attempt to try such. Thank you kindly for supplying this relative information to the community.

~Bruno~
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: