Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 01:20:17 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I remote desktop to my Debian server at home?  (Read 16 times)
hostinglogy (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2024, 06:12:42 PM

Hello everyone,
I hope you’re all doing well. I recently set up a Debian server at home for some personal projects and I’m looking to access it remotely using a remote desktop solution. I’ve done a bit of research but I’m still unsure about the best way to go about this. I’m reaching out to the community for some guidance and suggestions.

Here’s my current setup:

Server OS: Debian
Network: Home network with dynamic IP (considering using a dynamic DNS service)
Router: Standard home router

What I’ve tried so far:

SSH: I can SSH into the server without any issues, but I’m looking for a graphical interface for certain tasks.
VNC: Installed TightVNC on the server but facing some performance issues and occasional disconnections.

What I’m looking for:

A stable and secure remote desktop solution.
Good performance, even over the internet.
Preferably an open-source or free solution, but I’m open to paid options if they offer significant advantages.

Questions for the community:

1. What remote desktop software would you recommend for Debian?
2. Any tips on configuring and optimizing VNC or other remote desktop solutions for better performance?
3. Are there any security concerns I should be aware of when setting up remote desktop access?
4. Do you have any experience with alternatives like TeamViewer, AnyDesk, or RDP on Debian? How do they compare?

Alternatives I’m considering:

RDPHostings.com: Heard good things about its performance and ease of use. Has anyone tried it on Debian?
X2Go: Seems like a solid option with good performance reviews. How does it compare to VNC?
Chrome Remote Desktop: I use Chrome regularly, so this could be a convenient option. Any thoughts on its reliability and security?

I appreciate any advice or experiences you can share. Setting up a remote desktop has been a bit more challenging than I anticipated, and your insights would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Vod
Legendary

Activity: 3738
Merit: 3098

Licking my boob since 1970

View Profile WWW
June 18, 2024, 10:43:51 PM

You probably won't get such technical advice from the Off Topic bitcoin forum.  :/   Try posting on reddit.

VNC is a great solution.  Try remoting from your LAN first.  If you are experiencing performance issues it's because of your setup, not because of VNC, and any other solution will likely have the same issues. 

When VNCing remotely, set up a PING -D in a command window.  If the response time stays the same while you experience issues, that would also suggest a setup problem.

https://nastyscam.com - featuring 13 years of OGNasty bitcoin scams     https://vod.fan - advanced image hosting - coming sooner than you think!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: