Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 09:02:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ISP’s and Data Usage  (Read 245 times)
snerd (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 8

View Profile
June 21, 2024, 09:02:16 PM

Where are you from?
This node is in the middle of nowhere in a wheat field, 50 miles east of Little Rock, AR.
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 16925

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2024, 05:54:21 AM

This node is in the middle of nowhere in a wheat field, 50 miles east of Little Rock, AR.
Maybe there's a large demand to update other Bitcoin nodes in your field Cheesy

Seriously though: I don't know how much distance matters for Bitcoin Core downloads.

snerd (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2024, 06:31:46 AM
Last edit: June 22, 2024, 06:55:20 AM by snerd

Seriously though: I don't know how much distance matters for Bitcoin Core downloads.
Ya, distance doesn’t matter. I’ve got Internet lol someone asked where I was located. Small farming community, population of 12K or so, small ISP.
Cricktor
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1185

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
June 22, 2024, 07:29:22 PM
Merited by LoyceV (4), ABCbits (1)

So about 1 TB daily. Is this amount of data exchange not normal? Why would mine be higher? What are some of your data amounts?

Why is it like pulling teeth around here to get any answers?! I’m genuinely interested in this and want to learn!
Individual nodes are somewhat, well, individual. Your internet connection has quite some bandwidth and apparently a lot of other nodes connected to yours benefit from your high outgoing capacity. You have a lot of bandwidth to offer and nodes that connect to yours demand a lot of block data from your node.

As you don't limit the upload target, you serve suprisingly high amount of data from your node. If you want to put a daily limit on your upload target, instructions have been provided here already for that.

If you're concerned what your ISP might have to say about this, if they care at all, look into your contract you signed. Does it say anything about data volume, fair use, whatever?

My internet connection is considerably different from yours. Incoming bandwidth is a stable ~110Mbit and outgoing bandwidth around ~40Mbit, that's about a tenth of yours if not even less than that as I'm not using VPNs.

I run 4 nodes for specific reasons concurrently on Mainnet. I will give you the daily average based on uptime of my node's Bitcoin Core daemon and the output of bitcoin-cli getnettotals.
Code:
My RaspiBlitz node received                               ~632MiB and sent ~1717MiB daily.
My Umbrel node received                                   ~703MiB and sent ~3344MiB daily.
My RaspiBolt node received                                ~693MiB and sent ~1170MiB daily.
My desk laptop node (uptime little less than 3d) received ~637MiB and sent  ~593MiB daily.
I use larger mempools than default, fwiw.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
snerd (OP)

View Profile
June 22, 2024, 08:06:27 PM

Yes, thanks for that. I had gotten a little freaked out when I saw the data transfer, but after this thread, and looking deeper, it is not near as bad as I thought. I think it will be okay as far as my ISP.

But yeah, I knew I had a good local machine here and the bandwidth to hook up to the network. I no longer ‘trade’ $Bitcoin, just accumulate. So I’m more than happy to help on the decentralization of it. The more the merrier, ‘eh?!

Reminds me of the old days of Distributed Computing lol. Crunched a lot of numbers and folded many a protein back then!
ABCbits
Legendary

Activity: 2926
Merit: 7598

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile
June 23, 2024, 08:48:28 AM

Distance doesn't matter, but network type (IPv4, IPv6, Tor or I2P) and IP address range matters. See https://bitcoincore.reviews/16702. I would speculate there aren't many other full node on OP's IP range.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████