Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:32:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Up, up and awaaay..  (Read 3074 times)
gewure

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

[#][#][#]

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 01:26:21 PM

Merry Christmas everyone!

just gave a combination of USD, a gold coin, and a physical Bitcoin to my 3 kids.

my 16 yo commented, "this is the perfect hedge!"
Smart kid!   Smiley
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 02:08:23 PM
Last edit: December 28, 2011, 03:09:04 PM by Vandroiy

Interesting question, FreeMoney. Sunrise and sunset are measured from the penetration of the edge of the sun above and below the horizon, not the center of the sun, so day and night are not equal on the equator year round.

Also, according to my pen on napkin sketches, the sun rises slightly to the north south of the tropic of cancer when the northern hemisphere is in summer, and the sun rises slightly to the south north of the tropic of capricorn during northern winter.

So, my guess is that the equator is experiencing a summer solstice. In fact every where south of 23° N is experiencing sidereal diurnal winter. This leads me to some tropical paradoxes however. Please attack my logic. I've run out of space on my napkin. Smiley

Rest assured, it is in fact winter in Greenland, with 3 meters of snow and no direct sunlight for the past nine days.

I'm not quite accustomed to the terminology, but using the term "summer solstice" at the equator is not very reasonable for the winter solstice of the northern hemisphere. That just assumes the northern view more important, and raises the question where to place the border between the two approaches.

The equator has a six-month cycle in terms of solar power, just the direction (North vs South) is different every half year. I don't see how defining "summer" and "winter" would have a lot of meaning to the people there. From what I can remember, many just assume northern hemisphere terminology though, since that's what the majority of tourists uses -- and those are the people who like thinking in "summer and winter" year cycles instead of rain periods etc.

PS: yay highjacking of threads. Tongue
netrin

Activity: 322
Merit: 251

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
December 28, 2011, 03:04:39 PM
Last edit: December 28, 2011, 03:18:37 PM by netrin

...Sunrise ... measured ... edge ... above ... the horizon, not the center of the sun, so day and night are not equal on the equator year round.

... sun rises slightly to the north south of the tropic of cancer when the northern hemisphere is in summer...

... equator is experiencing a summer winter solstice. In fact every where north of 23° N S is experiencing sidereal diurnal winter...

I'm not quite accustomed to the terminology, but using the term "summer solstice" at the equator is not very reasonable for the winter solstice of the northern hemisphere. ... I don't see how defining "summer" and "winter" would have a lot of meaning ... instead of rain periods etc.

Oh absolutely. I'm not defining summer and winter solstices from a meteorological perspective, only from a solar/astronomical perspective -- where the sun rises each morning. The equator has nothing to do with it. I am claiming that it is winter now everywhere north of the tropic of capricorn (23°26′S) where I believe the sun rises South of East each morning (or not at all in the Arctic). In six months it will be the opposite but from south of the tropic of cancer (23°26′N). And this perfectly demonstrates your point. The solstices are of little practical use within the 47 some degrees of the tropics where half of the Earth's population lives.

Note: I mixed up my tropics earlier. Maybe I'll draw a little picture.

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: