Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:46:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I Think I Got Screwed out of 5 BTC  (Read 7426 times)
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:18:16 PM

Nothing like a poor loser starting a new thread. Old_engineer, started the contest, someone said "what time zone" rather early on, and he said "GMT". GMT is the standard time zone in many things because it is the standard. You know, the way that Central time is referred commonly listed as "UTC - 06:00" just to explicitly show what time zone it is? And of course UTC is the replacement of GMT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time).

Why would anyone use GMT as the standard? Because it is. When you're dealing with a global environment, what else would you use? Anyway, you lost out on 5BTC because you got in early on a free contest, never corrected your vote (basically because you had a lucky guess), and now you're whining about it. Welcome to the Internet.

All of that is irrelevant since I cast my guess before GMT was even mentioned.

As a result, I never viewed the thread again until yesterday.  So, I was completely made unaware of this rule.  Hence, the game was played under different rules by different players.

Isn't Universal Time the default when you are talking to audience from many different timezones?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:19:02 PM

sometimes...

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:19:36 PM

Good grief.
Drop the americo-centrism people.
Bitcoin is global.  UTC is the *only* reasonable default.

Idiotic thread.

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
trogdorjw73

Activity: 482
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2011, 05:19:55 PM

how's OldEngineer was supposed to notify everyone?
Oh, oh, oh! I have an idea! If he needs to change/clarify rules, he should post a comment in the contest thread. Then he can expect anyone that actually cares to update their post; if they don't care, they don't change and worst case they're off by one day. As it so happens, he did this and in a twist of fate we had one of the few people who would be affected get lucky/unlucky. C'est la vie!

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:20:06 PM

Nothing like a poor loser starting a new thread. Old_engineer, started the contest, someone said "what time zone" rather early on, and he said "GMT". GMT is the standard time zone in many things because it is the standard. You know, the way that Central time is referred commonly listed as "UTC - 06:00" just to explicitly show what time zone it is? And of course UTC is the replacement of GMT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time).

Why would anyone use GMT as the standard? Because it is. When you're dealing with a global environment, what else would you use? Anyway, you lost out on 5BTC because you got in early on a free contest, never corrected your vote (basically because you had a lucky guess), and now you're whining about it. Welcome to the Internet.

As a result, I never viewed the thread again until yesterday.  So, I was completely made unaware of this rule.  Hence, the game was played under different rules by different players.

you seriously think he had an obligation to send you a pm notification?  the game was all in fun, dude.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:20:26 PM

Wow.  Just wow.

What in the world makes a guy wake up one day and decide to blow any good will and karma that he might have accumulated with the community over losing $20 in a zero-risk wager because of his own faulty assumption?

Dude, do you know what deception is?

Do you?

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:20:48 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2011, 07:00:12 PM by the joint

As a result, I never viewed the thread again until yesterday.  So, I was completely made unaware of this rule.  Hence, the game was played under different rules by different players.

Isn't Universal Time the default?

Is this how you all live your lives?

Do you all walk around living your lives according to GMT or universal time or whatever?

Jesus Christ, this isn't hard to understand.  I live in Illinois, so I made a guess based upon my time zone.   If my friend asks me, "Hey, what time are we going to dinner?", I don't know about you but I always make sure to ask him, "You mean, Illinois time or Japan time?"
trogdorjw73

Activity: 482
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2011, 05:23:51 PM

As a result, I never viewed the thread again until yesterday.  So, I was completely made unaware of this rule.  Hence, the game was played under different rules by different players.
When you make a game, you can decide on the rules. If someone makes a game with unclear rules and then "changes" them with a clarifying comment, it's up to the players to conform to the rule changes.

Deception:
1. The use of deceit.
2. The fact or state of being deceived.
3. A ruse; a trick.

Whining:
1. To utter a plaintive, high-pitched, protracted sound, as in pain, fear, supplication, or complaint.
2. To complain or protest in a childish fashion.
3. To produce a sustained noise of relatively high pitch.

Which is more likely out of those two? If Old_engineer didn't pay up to anyone, that would be deceit; if he simply chooses to pay someone else because according to his rules that person won, that's nothing of the sort. If you'd like to try and convince the actual winner to part with half of his winnings, that would be a better approach, but they're by no means obligated to do so.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:24:36 PM

OMG, is this how you all live your lives?

Do you all walk around living your lives according to GMT or universal time or whatever?

Jesus Christ, this isn't hard to understand.  I live in Illinois, so I made a guess based upon my time zone.   When my friend asks me "hey, what time are we going to dinner?"  I don't know about you but I always make sure to ask him, "You mean, Illinois time or Japan time?"

the real point is you shouldn't be complaining about a simple game all done in fun.  Old Engineer was donating his 5 BTC just to give all you guys something to do.  i did the same thing just last week AND i had to make some clarifications in the rules fortunately only 3 or 4 comments in.

cut your losses now.
zby
Legendary

Activity: 1592

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:24:47 PM

Jesus Christ, this isn't hard to understand.  I live in Illinois, so I made a guess based upon my time zone.   When my friend asks me "hey, what time are we going to dinner?"  I don't know about you but I always make sure to ask him, "You mean, Illinois time or Japan time?"

When you are talking to people from all possible time zones the only universal time is UTC, this is the common reference point.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:27:47 PM

When you make a game, you can decide on the rules. If someone makes a game with unclear rules and then "changes" them with a clarifying comment, it's up to the players to conform to the rule changes.

Deception:
1. The use of deceit.
2. The fact or state of being deceived.
3. A ruse; a trick.

Whining:
1. To utter a plaintive, high-pitched, protracted sound, as in pain, fear, supplication, or complaint.
2. To complain or protest in a childish fashion.
3. To produce a sustained noise of relatively high pitch.

Which is more likely out of those two? If Old_engineer didn't pay up to anyone, that would be deceit; if he simply chooses to pay someone else because according to his rules that person won, that's nothing of the sort. If you'd like to try and convince the actual winner to part with half of his winnings, that would be a better approach, but they're by no means obligated to do so.

I did and will continue to do so.  To be fair, this isn't mere "whining."  I feel as though I have been treated unfairly (and, of course, my guess was made under different rules).  The implementation of the rule changes changes the nature of the game.  What if, upon knowing this rule change, I wanted to switch my guess?  What if that new guess had already been taken by someone else?  The implementation of the rule adjusts the STATISTICS of the game.  As guesses were cast both before and after the rule change, those who guessed before the rule and wanted to change their guess would be forced to pick from a MORE CONSTRAINED SET OF DAYS.  This naturally affects a persons' chances of winning.  Thus, the game was ultimately slanted.

Serge
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:27:51 PM

That's not my problem, I was the player.

I've sent you 1BTC, Marry Christmas dude!  i don't believe OE is in a wrong here as painted in the OP subject, he did best he could to be fair to everyone; didn't solicit for payments to run away, nothing to fight over really, it was just a fun game.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:29:10 PM

When you are talking to people from all possible time zones the only universal time is UTC, this is the common reference point.

I've talked internationally with many foreigners through chat, pm, IM, etc.

Never once has UTC ever come up.  It's more like, "What time is it where you live?"
kokjo
Legendary

You are WRONG!

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:30:43 PM

Never once has UTC ever come up.  It's more like, "What time is it where you live?"
so you can win, by telling a lie about where you live? nice.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:31:47 PM

That's not my problem, I was the player.

I've sent you 1BTC, Marry Christmas dude!  i don't believe OE is in a wrong here as painted in the OP subject, he did best he could to be fair to everyone; didn't solicit for payments to run away, nothing to fight over really, it was just a fun game.

If the "fun game" was for 1000 BTC, I have a feeling more of you would understand where I am coming from.

The question of whether it's 5 BTC or 1000 BTC is unimportant.  It's a matter of integrity and fairness.  The game was not played fairly as the rule changed the statistical nature of the game.  Statistical rules became different for players casting guesses before the new rule compared with those casting guesses after.

Your kindness is very welcome Smiley  I will send you back your 1 BTC if either OldEngineer or Goat decide to send the 5 BTC to the rightful winner.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:32:42 PM

so you can win, by telling a lie about where you live? nice.

I can prove where I live.
ineededausername

Activity: 784

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:33:32 PM

Your kindness is very welcome Smiley  I will send you back your 1 BTC if either OldEngineer or Goat decide to send the 5 BTC to the rightful winner.

Now you want Goat to send you BTC?  Goat won fairly too... I think the fair solution is to give each of you 5.

(BFL)^2 < 0
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:34:19 PM

Now you want Goat to send you BTC?  Goat won fairly too... I think the fair solution is to give each of you 5.

I would be (more) happy with 2.5 BTC to each rather than 5 BTC to each.
Serge
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:40:54 PM

i will tell you honestly the joint, after this thread i will probably ignore any future offerings (services,products,etc) from you if such may come to light. simply because of such a huge deal you've made over rules disagreement in a stupid game

the 1 btc is a gift, not a loan, enjoy it.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 05:45:28 PM

i will tell you honestly the joint, after this thread i will probably ignore any future offerings (services,products,etc) from you if such may come to light. simply because of such a huge deal you've made over rules disagreement in a stupid game

the 1 btc is a gift, not a loan, enjoy it.

this is exactly the problem he is creating for himself that he can't see.  people like the joint focus only on technicalities and ignore social customs or grace.  and we wonder why our society faces such challenges.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: