Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:30:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I Think I Got Screwed out of 5 BTC  (Read 7426 times)
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 07:52:06 PM

So I looked through the original thread a little bit...

To me it looks like you're just trying to stir up crap here and be a troll.  Dude posts a thread offering a prize to the first person to guess the day BTC goes over $4 and he forgets to specify the timezone.  Within 12 hours of the original post, someone has asked how it's judged and an answer was given.  Now you complain because your guess was almost right but not according to the timezone.

If you had even seen the change in timezone would you have changed your guess?  I doubt it, people were randomly throwing days out there.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 07:59:05 PM

So I looked through the original thread a little bit...

To me it looks like you're just trying to stir up crap here and be a troll.  Dude posts a thread offering a prize to the first person to guess the day BTC goes over $4 and he forgets to specify the timezone.  Within 12 hours of the original post, someone has asked how it's judged and an answer was given.  Now you complain because your guess was almost right but not according to the timezone.

If you had even seen the change in timezone would you have changed your guess?  I doubt it, people were randomly throwing days out there.

Whether or not you doubt if I would change my guess is irrelevant.  I was given the opportunity to change my guess (apparently) and I could no longer choose the selected winning date due to the first guesser wins rule.
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 08:15:49 PM

Being the now-identified third btc user in Illinois, I would offer the thought that anyone who doesn't use UTC in an online forum, or for communicating with anyone regarding times around the globe is a prize ass. Standards exist so that we don't have to agree whether of not we are going to use "Upper Mongolian Standard Time" or "Central Daylight Savings", or "Fucked Up Indiana Has To Be An Asshole Time" that is 15 minutes off, we all have one basis that is universal and the deviation from that standard is consistent for all.

If you didn't think of that, in this life-altering contest, that is consuming such a huge portion of your attention, then perhaps you should not be the first sinner to be tossing stones about who went to college and who didn't.

Your lack of understanding, failure to monitor the thread, and poorly conceived ad hominem attacks are what "screwed" you, and thanks to some gracious people willing to pay you to shut the fuck up, you have already won a nice 2 btc second place prize that wasn't even mentioned in the original rules. Karma is dry-humping you and you aren't even aware of it.

Key takeaway? Shut the fuck up and stop whining.
Greed

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 08:22:25 PM

Stop whining. You didn't lose any money.

Nice name.

Thanks. You too.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 08:26:50 PM

Being the now-identified third btc user in Illinois, I would offer the thought that anyone who doesn't use UTC in an online forum, or for communicating with anyone regarding times around the globe is a prize ass. Standards exist so that we don't have to agree whether of not we are going to use "Upper Mongolian Standard Time" or "Central Daylight Savings", or "Fucked Up Indiana Has To Be An Asshole Time" that is 15 minutes off, we all have one basis that is universal and the deviation from that standard is consistent for all.

If you didn't think of that, in this life-altering contest, that is consuming such a huge portion of your attention, then perhaps you should not be the first sinner to be tossing stones about who went to college and who didn't.

Your lack of understanding, failure to monitor the thread, and poorly conceived ad hominem attacks are what "screwed" you, and thanks to some gracious people willing to pay you to shut the fuck up, you have already won a nice 2 btc second place prize that wasn't even mentioned in the original rules. Karma is dry-humping you and you aren't even aware of it.

What do you do to relax?
LoupGaroux

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 08:57:25 PM

What do you do to relax?

Write remarkably coherent, often harsh, judgmental and acerbic posts on a number of fora. Weave chain maille bikinis.

And when I deal with people around the world, I use UTC. Thanks for asking.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 09:17:28 PM

College? This kid sounds like he is barely out of kindergarten.

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
bittenbob

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 10:39:11 PM

What time zone are the forum posts in? Where is the contest being held? You lost, I lost, get over it.

Whining from people like you makes it less likely that old engineer will do another contest like this again. Too much of a headache.

Also old engineer even did one better and paid out double to goat because he keeps on donating his winnings to orphans and such.

Thank you for the contest engineer and thank you for your generosity Goat.
Vandroiy
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 11:23:29 PM

I said this elsewhere, but let me make it explicit:

isn't it embarassing to display unawareness that we're living on a round planet, and that global communities have to define their time suitably for this fact?

If I were to make a mistake like this -- I doubt it, but I can't blame anyone, everybody makes mistakes -- I'd try to make sure nobody noticed. This show here, to try and get just 5 BTC? What did you expect old_engineer to do, count your vote in both UTC and your local time?

There is no reasonable solution other than assuming UTC. Sorry if you're new to global communities, but such are the rules, and thinking about it just a moment makes it clear that the rules have to be that way, or else things become extremely annoying.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 11:37:52 PM

mods, please.

Yes, mods, please intervene if you feel necessary.

I feel I am morally, ethically, and rationally justified.  I have absolutely no problem with having this thread locked/removed if they, too, believe I am only blowing smoke.

A good game is fair for all players.  His rule created a statistical imbalance.  To win this game, skill is involved to a certain degree; a date 1 year from now is obviously a lot more likely than a date 10,000 years from now, and is a more skillful guess.  My skill was nullified as a factor the instant this rule was implemented for it prevented me from having the opportunity to change my answer to the winning answer.

My pms to both OldEngineer and Goat were civil.  I obviously have no issue with Goat other than I think he is holding 5 of my BTC, but 2.5 would be acceptable to me, and that's because I feel that it would be generous of me to allow him to keep 2.5 BTC.  I do not think he won, pure and simple.  Similarly, I have no problems with oldengineer outside of this situation.  I'm sure he's a good guy.  I just think he should understand that I think he screwed me over on this one, even if he doesn't see it the same way.

You've got no skin in the game. Get the sand out of your gyne and go to bed.
kgo

Activity: 548

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 01:10:32 AM

Wow.  This thread got relocated a second time.  That's how crazy it is.
zhoutong
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2011, 03:00:27 AM

the_joint,

Welcome to Bitcoinica! I will send you the f**king 5 BTC to your account for you to start trading. You made a pretty great guess!

(This is off-topic forum, so I posted this off-topic stuff.)

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb
RandyFolds

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 03:02:26 AM

the_joint,

Welcome to Bitcoinica! I will send you the f**king 5 BTC to your account for you to start trading. You made a pretty great guess!

zhoutong, at first I wasn't sure about you, but now you've got the full 'Folds Seal of Approval'. Fucking A, you've been on fire the past few days!
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 03:08:33 AM

the_joint,

That's unique...are you offering me a 5 BTC account as a promo or something?  If you genuinely think I deserve it, then I really want to thank you, but I only truly care about the original 5 BTC.  It is up to you.

In either case, you are very kind.
zhoutong
VIP

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2011, 03:12:50 AM

the_joint,

That's unique...are you offering me a 5 BTC account as a promo or something?  If you genuinely think I deserve it, then I really want to thank you, but I only truly care about the original 5 BTC.  It is up to you.

I understand what the original 5 BTC means to you. But well, why can't there be a tie? You deserve it as much as Goat did, and old_engineer wasn't wrong at all to give out only 5 BTC for the contest.

Just post your username and I will send 5 BTC to you immediately. If you don't want to trade on Bitcoinica or don't like it, just withdraw it right away. :-)

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 03:29:45 AM

the_joint,

I understand what the original 5 BTC means to you. But well, why can't there be a tie? You deserve it as much as Goat did, and old_engineer wasn't wrong at all to give out only 5 BTC for the contest.

Just post your username and I will send 5 BTC to you immediately. If you don't want to trade on Bitcoinica or don't like it, just withdraw it right away. :-)

This is marketing at its finest.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
bittenbob

Activity: 560

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 04:22:42 AM

LOL, I will take 5BTC and spend it on Bitcoinica if you send it to me Zhoutong... To be honest though I don't think I would put any of my own coins on there.

As for joint just take the offer. You lost the bet so deal with it. Zhoutong is being very generous here even though he had nothing to do with this contest.
LoupGaroux

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 04:24:05 AM

If the joint had any class whatsoever, he would take the now 7 btc, and send it to Goat to help the orphans. Then we could all happily say that the greater good of humankind shown through in this episode and everybody came out a winner. Especially the orphans.

What say you TJ? Big enough man to step up?
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 21, 2011, 04:27:54 AM

the_joint,

How very generous of you!

dfjJ3-cnapd@  is my username. 
zhoutong
VIP

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2011, 08:15:18 AM

the_joint,

How very generous of you!

dfjJ3-cnapd@  is my username. 

I have credited the 5 BTC to you.

Thanks!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: