Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:36:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] FedoraCoin (TiPS); New style, new services, same unique features  (Read 180997 times)
HopeStillFlies

Activity: 73
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 09, 2015, 11:00:56 PM

Alright, I'm working on rebuilding fedorco.in right now. If anyone has those windows prebuilds or a download they got from back when languishing in their download folder, I'd greatly appreciate it. MystPhysX provided his OS X version, and mtxm got the linux version to me. 

In the meantime, fedoracoin users, play with this.

http://mercbay.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvcXerSV5IM

Don't make any general announcements anywhere else yet, though, your eyes only. Otherwise you might put someone's eye out.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MystPhysX

Activity: 597
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 01:36:43 AM
Last edit: January 10, 2015, 02:41:58 AM by MystPhysX

Alright, I'm working on rebuilding fedorco.in right now. If anyone has those windows prebuilds or a download they got from back when languishing in their download folder, I'd greatly appreciate it. MystPhysX provided his OS X version, and mtxm got the linux version to me.  

In the meantime, fedoracoin users, play with this.

http://mercbay.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvcXerSV5IM

Don't make any general announcements anywhere else yet, though, your eyes only. Otherwise you might put someone's eye out.
Cool, heading in a nice direction. Why merc though? A mercenary is hardly related to pirating.

----------------------------

Old OSX wallet had an OpenSSL version which was vulnerable to Heartbleed. Updated version is available now: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60507461/FedoraCoin-Qt.zip

HopeStillFlies

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 04:33:44 AM

Cool, heading in a nice direction. Why merc though? A mercenary is hardly related to pirating.
Indeed, even though it may be used for piracy, my intent is circumvention of censorship, and why "mercenary" is because of the associated cost, value, of a submission of magnet link.
icanprogram

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 02:24:58 PM

By the way guys, the hosting for fedoraco.in is still there, the domain is just not pointed at it.

MystPhysX

Activity: 597

View Profile
January 10, 2015, 07:54:48 PM

By the way guys, the hosting for fedoraco.in is still there, the domain is just not pointed at it.

HopeStillFlies requested that I switch it.

Kebwesi

Activity: 131
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 02:06:07 AM

1. Why switch the hosting? Does that imply we will be receiving modified versions of the wallets? I'd be much more comfortable with the same host as before.

2. I do not think blockchaining torrents is necessary, though for the sake of experiment, how are we going to handle bloat? I'd rather a totally decentralized solution for torrents such as bitmessage. That way, there is no single point of failure. The blockchain is an easy target.

3. Meanwhile, do we have a running fedoracoin testnet? The first order of business for our group of developers is to upgrade the core to bitcoin core 0.9.3. Are there other's working on the same?

HopeStillFlies

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 02:25:59 AM

1. Why switch the hosting? Does that imply we will be receiving modified versions of the wallets? I'd be much more comfortable with the same host as before.

I didn't know the hosting was still being paid for after I took over paying the domain, so I just had it pointed at one of my digitalocean droplets. After finding out that there was still something for it to point at, I reversed it and pointed it back to where it was. Then I discovered that when it was pointed back, downloading the wallets wasn't working. Rather than go through a constant barrage of asking who owned what and ensuring the site was ready for wallet dispersing for when I announce MercBay tomorrow, I went ahead and cloned it and will have the last known wallets up by the end of the evening.

2. I do not think blockchaining torrents is necessary, though for the sake of experiment, how are we going to handle bloat? I'd rather a totally decentralized solution for torrents such as bitmessage. That way, there is no single point of failure. The blockchain is an easy target.

There's no bloat because of the burn cost. It's taking the place of tx data and, so far as those partial coins are concerned, stops right there, as opposed to transactions that go on indefinitely as intended. 

Single point of failure? Blockchain an easy target? How, when everyone with a wallet is running a full node and, thus, a backup of the submissions?
Kebwesi

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 06:00:12 AM

"There's no bloat because of the burn cost."
Please explain the entire plan/proposal so that we can contribute fully.

While the blockchain may be distributed, its still a single entity. One way to attack it would be to bloat it, thus reduce the number of players willing to store the entire block, then take them out. What torrents need is a totally decentralized solution, no single point of failure.

HopeStillFlies

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 07:31:06 AM

"There's no bloat because of the burn cost."
Please explain the entire plan/proposal so that we can contribute fully.

A white paper on it might get it across better:

https://github.com/leadcoin/Link/blob/master/README.md

Point is, after the payment is made, the coins are distributed into addresses that no one has the private key to, and those coins cannot be moved further and generate further transaction data, growing the blockchain. They're stagnant, the data having been generated providing the utility rather than further coin use being the utility.

The long game of this is that it pulls coins out of circulation, and if less are floating around, their individual value could increase, with that increase could mean less coins moved per transaction as their value for the previous equivalent that someone would've paid for something or tipped something, and with less movement that, too, means less or more efficient tx data is generated. But that's not even an "aha!" thought for a couple more years yet.

While the blockchain may be distributed, its still a single entity. One way to attack it would be to bloat it, thus reduce the number of players willing to store the entire block, then take them out. What torrents need is a totally decentralized solution, no single point of failure.
Well, considering Bitcoin hasn't even suffered this fate yet, even with all it's trouble of fewer people running full nodes (but still plenty of them running occasionally while, say, just checking the balances of their Qt wallet) and the centralization worries of mining, they're still considered decentralized and not susceptible to bad actors. I'm not yet worried.

I AM worried about any sort of 51% attack that may come about from renewed attention, but that very well could've came at any moment up until now anyway.
Kebwesi

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 04:09:41 PM

Unlike Bitcoin, and if thepiratebay is anything to go by, a blockchain hosting links to torrent files will definitely be a target, it may even be the first "blockchain arrest". Node's have specific IP addresses that can be tracked and brought down. A userspace solution is needed in such a situation, if the bitmessage system does not quite cut it, why not then use the openbazaar system?

Meanwhile, what happened to Leadcoin? Why didn't it take off?

HopeStillFlies

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 06:02:57 PM

Unlike Bitcoin, and if thepiratebay is anything to go by, a blockchain hosting links to torrent files will definitely be a target, it may even be the first "blockchain arrest". Node's have specific IP addresses that can be tracked and brought down.

An absurdity that'll bring about real change in the concept of what constitutes a crime or intent in regards to data. 

They'll come after the site first to ask questions. It's how they're trained.

A userspace solution is needed in such a situation, if the bitmessage system does not quite cut it, why not then use the openbazaar system?

OpenBazaar system wouldn't address the issue you're talking about with node seizures. They've pretty much said the only chance at anonymity would be running it through Tor, something we can already do with Fedoracoin nodes.

Meanwhile, what happened to Leadcoin? Why didn't it take off?

It was meant to be a crypto ammo/currency for building a first person shooter but without that utility, and the team regularly meeting to actually build said game, use I didn't feel the need in actually making the coin, I didn't want to be part of the problem of putting more quick to abandon alts out there, so I never followed through on making it a thing. Then some one else apparently took the name (under "lead-coin" on github) so I just shrugged off and just use it as my git to track projects that catch my eye.
Kebwesi

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 06:34:40 PM

An absurdity that'll bring about real change in the concept of what constitutes a crime or intent in regards to data.

They'll come after the site first to ask questions. It's how they're trained.

Who is "They"? The assumption is that this space is composed of everyone else apart from "Them"? That truly is the worst angle to tackle the issue at hand. An assumption that could turn very costly.

Clearly, your plans for this blockchain run contrary to the plans we have for the same. But since all we have is experimental software, you could do this your way, or let the community have its say. As for us, we are totally against the "pirating" of fedoracoin.

HopeStillFlies

View Profile
January 12, 2015, 08:04:59 PM

Who is "They"? The assumption is that this space is composed of everyone else apart from "Them"? That truly is the worst angle to tackle the issue at hand. An assumption that could turn very costly.

What, law enforcement, corporations issuing DMCA notices? People running nodes aren't going to be getting those things, I am. Anyone with a site up will. 

And I'll continually reinforce that there is no content on the site. No content even, in the blockchain. 

They'll have to go about stopping it the same way they do now: and that's sit and watch the trackers that a magnet link links to and follow those IPs in order to do their enforcement.

Clearly, your plans for this blockchain run contrary to the plans we have for the same. But since all we have is experimental software, you could do this your way, or let the community have its say. As for us, we are totally against the "pirating" of fedoracoin.

'k.
calem

Activity: 291
Merit: 106

Founder #Zerozed $x0z

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 11:18:11 PM

Did anyone stop and think that, for the first time, we have an opportunity to legitimise the torrents network?

Everyone keeps saying "oh but this is just to make it easier for pirates"..

I present.

"BiTHuB" Or BitHub whichever you think is the least already taken name..

"Suppressing bad ideas can be as dangerous as the bad ideas themselves." | One of the greatest ethical and logistical challenges humanity has been forced to face is one that has not changed since the dawn of society itself. The fair and even distribution of wealth and power. Using the Diffusion of Innovations to model a more sensible inflation schedule, [x0z] Zerozed aims to bring stability to the wider market...
calem

Founder #Zerozed $x0z

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 11:19:31 PM

The platform will be a marrying of the torrents network and crypto currency networks, so content creators can distribute their work and connect with their fanbase with no middlemen..

Picture an advanced GUI for torrent publishing, searching and downloading. You can also find "Hubs" for original content creators of games, music, software, movies, novels, animation, blogs, vlogs, reviews and funny cat photo's.

Data is stored on the torrents network and indexed within the blockchain of any crypto currency via the embedding of metadata.

Users will have the option to create their own "hub" which showcases content they have uploaded. Hubs can visually take on any form and is how content creators connect with their followers.

The code, images and text that make up the content creators' hub is stored locally on the computer but also optionally, supporters can download the hub to help seed it across the network. Once a hub is well seeded enough, streaming capabilities may be possible.

Intergrated into BitHub, will be an advanced tipping platform. As with indexing, tipping is coin agnostic. Content creators can choose to auto tip those who seed their content. Many options will be available for both creators and consumers to show support for each others time and bandwidth.

As mentioned, BitHub will be coin agnostic. This will allow the integration of any wallet already stored on the computer to give the user full functionality within the BitHub GUI.

BitHub will be a full stack solution for free open source p2p technologies. For example, the likes of Bitmessage and ultimately OpenBazaar will be integrated along with any new novel tool that may arise...

"Suppressing bad ideas can be as dangerous as the bad ideas themselves." | One of the greatest ethical and logistical challenges humanity has been forced to face is one that has not changed since the dawn of society itself. The fair and even distribution of wealth and power. Using the Diffusion of Innovations to model a more sensible inflation schedule, [x0z] Zerozed aims to bring stability to the wider market...
calem

Founder #Zerozed $x0z

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2015, 11:20:37 PM

Also, Mercbay etc would be a temporary measure.. This is what BitHub is for.

Ultimately though, nearly anycoin is compatible to host magnet links.. "Link" Is coin agnostic.

Don't think Fed is been targeted or favored. None of us are special.

id10tothe9

Activity: 623

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 06:49:23 PM
Last edit: January 13, 2015, 07:00:03 PM by id10tothe9

What, law enforcement, corporations issuing DMCA notices? People running nodes aren't going to be getting those things, I am. Anyone with a site up will.  

And I'll continually reinforce that there is no content on the site. No content even, in the blockchain.  

They'll have to go about stopping it the same way they do now: and that's sit and watch the trackers that a magnet link links to and follow those IPs in order to do their enforcement.

'k.

I haven't formed an opinion about this since I'm not clear on the consequences, but at least this seems to be of importance that the community should discuss it further and have consensus about it if there is a possibility it could compromise the entire enterprise Shocked. to me it sounds like a really cool thing but Kebwesi makes valid points I think. I hope you can discuss it rationally and come to a conclusion, I think it shouldn't be hard to have clear conclusions on the points made and weigh the pros against the cons? we are one community guys and our strength is only in working together as a team!

edit: is the MercBay project in coordination with calem's BitHub or was that a coincidence?

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion★  Anonymity Guaranteed
★  Anonymous and Untraceable
★  Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
id10tothe9

Activity: 623

View Profile
January 13, 2015, 08:05:34 PM

just awesome stuff I wished to repost  Grin

I believe the primary concerns here are:
i) Stability
Fedoracoin should be resilient against all the common and known issues surrounding the bitcoin technology, we may not lead the way, but we should be innovative enough to carve a lucrative niche. For Instance, the blocks should have a stable and reliable timetable, the faster -the better, whether we go POS, POW, POI or a hybrid of all those, the endgame is to provide a consistent user experience.

ii) Development
I am working towards putting together a competent team. The team is in place, the competence is being worked on as we speak. We are noobs to say the least, but we have the heart for it, the willingness to learn and the humility to be corrected whenever we err. We would also be willing to partner and learn from whomever is able to advance our common interests. Who is the lead developer? None, we play as a team. In that spirit, we humbly request Invisibel, icanprogram, MystPhysX and all the great guys that lead in the past to allow us work with them in advancing this coin to the benefit of all.

We will not need payment for our services, since the coin is rather cheap as is, and thus we come in as investors.

BTW: Fedoracoin is #42 at https://www.coingecko.com/en/coins/fedoracoin... we got potential!

Also talk of TiPS 2.0 seems to be trending again, let's finally do that! Cheesy
(if it's of help you can use the gdrive to organize the process ie layout etc)

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion★  Anonymity Guaranteed
★  Anonymous and Untraceable
★  Guard Your Privacy
      ▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
KickAzzDude

Activity: 519

View Profile
January 14, 2015, 03:52:46 AM

If there was a Tips 2.0, would it be possible to be more focused on the actual tipping part? I remember this was discussed 6-12 months ago cant remember, but a lot of people wanted the fedora/atheist references to be dropped in favor of a coin with a focus on tipping due to the ticker. Maybe a whole new redesign, where the coin could be used for tipping youtube, twitch, twitter, fb and other social medias?

calem

Founder #Zerozed $x0z

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2015, 04:06:10 AM
Last edit: January 14, 2015, 05:57:19 AM by calem

Hope and I are extending an offer to the TiPS community. BitHub would be perfect for Fedora and vice verca.

I plan on having bitcoin, feathercoin and ufocoin in at the start.

Fedora could simply serve as a tipping coin on the platform as opposed to having it's BC been used for magnet link embedding if the community feels it's a concern.

Pages: « 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 »
  Print  

Jump to: