Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 09:44:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Africa - promised land of Bitcoin?  (Read 3136 times)
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 03:46:07 AM

Those are the countries that need Bitcoin least, where it is likely to be least important, because they already have a good financial infrastructure.

Excellent point. Bitcoin can benefit common people in the under-developed world much more than those in the developed nations.
Pente

Activity: 528
Merit: 527

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 04:34:44 AM

I just got back from Kenya a few weeks ago. While I was there I noticed the heavy use of mpesa. My wife uses it several times a week to pay bills or send her parents money. One time while out, she wanted to get something to drink, but we discovered that neither one of us had any money. I was expecting to just home, but she says "no problem", walks into one of many phone card stores with an mpesa sign (several on every block), talks to the gal, does something with her phone, the gal hands her 500 shillings and now we have some money.

There is a problem with mpesa though. Many transactions (not all) are heavily taxed. The government is starting to see mpesa as a gravy train and since it is centralized, there is nothing to stop them from raising taxes more and more. I think this may eventually push the population towards Bitcoin.

I rode with her one day to her job in Nairobi early in the morning. The bus was mainly young professionals going to work and I noticed that almost every one of them was using an android type smart phone. My wife has both a regular phone and an android phone. The productivity increase of having a cell phone more than pays for itself.

There is a money exchange place in downtown Nairobi where you can exchange bitcoins for fiat.

BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 1373

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 04:45:53 AM

I just got back from Kenya a few weeks ago. While I was there I noticed the heavy use of mpesa. My wife uses it several times a week to pay bills or send her parents money. One time while out, she wanted to get something to drink, but we discovered that neither one of us had any money. I was expecting to just home, but she says "no problem", walks into one of many phone card stores with an mpesa sign (several on every block), talks to the gal, does something with her phone, the gal hands her 500 shillings and now we have some money.

There is a problem with mpesa though. Many transactions (not all) are heavily taxed. The government is starting to see mpesa as a gravy train and since it is centralized, there is nothing to stop them from raising taxes more and more. I think this may eventually push the population towards Bitcoin.

I rode with her one day to her job in Nairobi early in the morning. The bus was mainly young professionals going to work and I noticed that almost every one of them was using an android type smart phone. My wife has both a regular phone and an android phone. The productivity increase of having a cell phone more than pays for itself.

There is a money exchange place in downtown Nairobi where you can exchange bitcoins for fiat.

I have a buddy who has been to Africa several times. He wants to move there, and he will make it, I believe. His wife is loving the idea.

I didn't realize that Africa was this extremely into Bitcoin, "There is a money exchange place in downtown Nairobi where you can exchange bitcoins for fiat." Now that I know, I might go with him, and he might go sooner.

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/, https://thedrardisshow.com/, https://thehighwire.com/.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 05:32:11 AM

Africa?  no.

Africa?  Yes.

There are already 3 companies working to replace the service used by 40 million people to send money via SMS.

Instead it will be sent by Bitcion.

Interesting, is there further info on this?  My understanding is that in a lot of Africa smart phones are shared.  Is there a secure solution to this?

Here is one of the companies.   

http://www.mobilepaymentstoday.com/article/216119/M-PESA-meets-Bitcoin-with-new-service-in-Kenya

Lets Talk Bitcoin podcast played an interview with the creator of this service, and he went into a lot of the details they're working out with the government.

There is another company doing the exact same thing that I ran across on Facebook awhile back.  They hadn't heard of Kipochi, but now they know.

Google for more info.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
softron

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:21:19 AM

Maybe bitcoins will  recieve mass adoption in s.africa and other newly developed countries

AfrikaMan

Activity: 63
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 10:42:49 AM

Maybe bitcoins will  recieve mass adoption in s.africa and other newly developed countries

There already is a South African fiat to Bitcoin online exchange.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 11:48:25 AM

It will be great if Bitcoin gets really popular in rich African countries such as Gabon and RSA. However, at the moment the strongholds seems to be East Africa (esp. Kenya and Tanzania, due to Kipochi).
Onews1990

Activity: 362
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 02:03:31 PM

Africa might be a good place for bitcoins since they are already have an advanced money-transmitting industry in at least one or two countries, But I doubt the public demand for it there would be high enough.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 02:51:41 PM

Africa is and will continue to be a great place for crytp to develop.

Although computer use may be lower than in other areas, those who have internet service will gravitate to Bitcoin and certain alts.

Be prepared to profit.

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
vnvizow

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 03:19:30 PM

Yep, this will do good for the silk road  Grin
amoai

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 12:02:01 AM

This I have not heard of, any chance you have more details? Or can you visit it one day? Is it just a few random people who have bitcoin or is it like a business/kiosk?
amspir

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 01:04:08 AM

Africa - promised land of Bitcoin?

It makes sense to me.  Consider this, that there are many African countries that have highly mismanaged centralized banks and unstable and corrupt political leadership.   Assuming that bitcoin grows to become a significant world currency, then bitcoin would make a lot of sense in developing economies on the continent.
LostDutchman

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 01:05:24 AM

Africa - promised land of Bitcoin?

It makes sense to me.  Consider this, that there are many African countries that have highly mismanaged centralized banks and unstable and corrupt political leadership.   Assuming that bitcoin grows to become a significant world currency, then bitcoin would make a lot of sense in developing economies on the continent.

Good points and valid ones at that!

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:33:06 AM

Yep, this will do good for the silk road  Grin

Why? Do you think that Africans are potential SR 2.0 customers?
right wing authoritarian

Activity: 73

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 09:03:23 AM

I guess it makes intuitive sense that africa would adopt bitcoin because the existing financial system is more problematic than in rich countries so bitcoin is immediately more competitive.
amspir

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 09:19:08 AM

I guess it makes intuitive sense that africa would adopt bitcoin because the existing financial system is more problematic than in rich countries so bitcoin is immediately more competitive.

After the events of 2008, where private institutional banking extorted the elected government of the United States to socialize their losses (while retaining private profits, not going to jail, giving themselves bonuses, and running scams with T-bills) incurred by selling toxic, bullshit financial instruments to the rest of the world,  I think the most problematic banking system in the world is obvious.  It's not in Africa.

pollen_bit

Activity: 312

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 01:20:49 PM

I'm working on a short documentary, filmed over two weeks in Kenya. The question is 'Whether Bitcoin Can Help The Unbanked'. Here's the trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mafU305mVXY

IamSatoshi is a project to explore ฿itcoin. https://www.onename.io/iamsatoshi
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 01:30:52 PM

So let's start another hype about africa and bitcoin....

But first , let's remember this...
http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/one-third-of-kenyans-now-have-a-bitcoin-wallet

And the hype about Kipochi

And the ...0.

Let's stop with this india , africa , venezueala , south america , peru  non-sense.
Bitcoin will grow in the countries where there is the infrastructure already in place and where average citizens have enough money to spend it daily , not for safekeeping them from lions.

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄
  ▀████▄▄         ██████▀██████▀
    ▀▀▀████▄▄     ███████████▀
    ▀██▄███████▄▄███████████
     ▄▄▄▀██████████████████
      ▀████████████████████
▀█▄▄     ▀████████████████
  ▀████████████████▀█████
    ▀████████████▀▄▄███▀
       ▀▀██████████▀▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄   ▄▄
              ▄▀ ▀▀█  █
             ▄▀     ▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄█▄
     ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
 ▄▀▄▀              ▀▄▀▄
█  █   ▄█▄    ▄█▄   █  █
 ▀█    ▀█▀    ▀█▀    █▀
  █                  █
   █   ▀▄      ▄▀   █
    ▀▄   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄▀
      ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀
New Age of DEFI
A Non-Code Platform for
Decentralized Trading Instruments

▄▄███████████████▄▄
 ▄█████████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀███████▄
████████████▀▀    ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄   ███████
██████▀▀     █    ███████
████▀       █     ███████
█████▄▄   ▄█      ███████
████████ ██▄      ███████
▀████████ ▀▄███▄▄███████▀
 ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▀▀███████████████▀▀

▄              ▄
   ▄███▄          ▄███▄
   █████▄  ▄▄▄▄  ▄█████
  ▄████████████████████▄
 ▄██████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████
██████▀▀          ▀▀██████
█████▀   ▄      ▄   ▀█████
 ████   ███    ███   ████
  ████   ▀      ▀   ████
   ▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
     ▀▀████████████▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄█████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀█████▄
▄████▀  ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀  ▀████▄
████▀                ▀████
███▀                  ▀███
███       ▄    ▄       ███
██▀      ███  ███      ▀██
██       ▀█▀  ▀█▀       ██
██▄     ▄        ▄     ▄██
▀██▄     ▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀     ███▀
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 01:50:49 PM

What's wrong in that? Millions of Kenyans do use Kipochi.
niothor

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

in defi we trust

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 01:55:32 PM

What's wrong in that? Millions of Kenyans do use Kipochi.

LOL, do you have some proof to back that up?

▄          ▄▄▄▄    ▄
            ███      ▄██████▀  ▀█▀
            ███     ▄██▀
            ███     ███        ▄█▄   ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄██████▄      ▄█▄ ▄█████▄▄         ▄▄█████▄▄        ▄▄█████▄▄
    ▄▄▄▄▄▄  ███     ███        ███   ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ██████▀▀▀▀███▄     ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄    ▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄
  ▄████████▄███  ▄█████████▄   ███   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀██▄   ████▀      ▀███   ▄██▀       ▀█▀   ▄██▀       ▀██▄
▄███▀    ▀█████   ▀▀███▀▀▀▀    ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███████████████
███   ▄▄   ▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███              ███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███   ▀▀   ▄███     ███        ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ███   ███         ▄    ███         ▄
▀███▄    ▄█████     ███        ███   ███         ███    ███▄▄   ▄▄████   ███         ███    ███▄▄    ▄███    ███▄▄   ▄▄███
  ▀████████▀███     ███        ███   ███         ███     ▀████████▀███   ███         ███     ▀█████████▀      ▀█████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀       ▀          ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀   ▀     ▀           ▀         ▀▀▀▀▀            ▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
   ▄▄▀▀       ▀▀▄▄
  █               █ ▄
 █   █▀▄ ▀█▀ ▀█▀   █ ▀▄
 █   █▀▄  █   █    █  ▀▄
  █  ▀▀   ▀   ▀   █    █
▄▀ ▄▄           ▄▀    ▄▀
 ▀▀  ▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀      ▀▄
        ▀▄▄      ▄▄▀▀▄▄▀
           ▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄▄
  ▄█▄              ▄███████▄