Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:04:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will IRS revise there guidelines on "virtual currency"?  (Read 934 times)
precrime3 (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 02:18:01 AM

I sure hope they do.... Also, what is the significance of the 15th? I do realize that's when taxes are due, but still... Is it like that "last nail in the coffin"?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
windjc
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 02:23:33 AM

I am sure they will eventually.

Everyone is griping and complaining about their "property" ruling. Well, first of all, it puts bitcoin holders at a 15% tax rate instead of up to 39%.

This is a huge incentive for bitcoin as a store of value investment.

Second, the government has no way of tracking if you bought a coffee at Starbucks with your bitcoin "property." This is just nuts. Of course an accountant is going to tell you that it matters, because that is their job, however, the IRS is not going to expect, nor have a way to enforce (despite their ruling) you to list every little incidental transactions of purchase you made with bitcoin.

In fact, I believe that the IRS ruled bitcoin as property instead of currency because it was the easiest and quickest ruling. What did people expect the IRS to do? Create a new class of digital investment currency tax laws? Ha. The IRS is already understaffed as it is and they don't spend there time going around auditing people who don't make more than $200k a year anyway unless there is something ridiculously suspicious going on. Its just not cost effective for them.
precrime3 (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 02:33:36 AM

It is true that like only half the nation pays taxes. I would like to remain that half, as I don't care how small the chance is, an audit will pretty much ruin your life. I'm stuck in limbo, putting my btc into cold storage until they revise it.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 11:09:25 AM

In short: No

In detail: It's about as likely as the PBOC revising their ruling on banks not allowed to do business with exchanges. So no.
fonzie

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 11:16:45 AM

I just called them and they said: Sorry, no chance!

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
segeln

Activity: 602

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:16:07 PM

Everyone is griping and complaining about their "property" ruling. Well, first of all, it puts bitcoin holders at a 15% tax rate instead of up to 39%.

Second, the government has no way of tracking if you bought a coffee at Starbucks with your bitcoin "property." This is just nuts. Of course an accountant is going to tell you that it matters, because that is their job, however, the IRS is not going to expect, nor have a way to enforce (despite their ruling) you to list every little incidental transactions of purchase you made with bitcoin.

In fact, I believe that the IRS ruled bitcoin as property instead of currency because it was the easiest and quickest ruling. What did people expect the IRS to do? Create a new class of digital investment currency tax laws? Ha. The IRS is already understaffed as it is and they don't spend there time going around auditing people who don't make more than $200k a year anyway unless there is something ridiculously suspicious going on. Its just not cost effective for them.
I agree
The main Problem is not the tax itself .It is the handling of bitcoin trading and keeping the records of gain or loss.
This is terrible and the IRS is forcing the People to be tax fraudulent when it Comes to bitcoin
segeln

Activity: 602

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 01:17:45 PM

I just called them and they said: Sorry, no chance!
I just called them and they said: work in Progress ! Don`t worry be happy
precrime3 (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 01:54:52 PM

I seriously doubt that IRS will, unless that petition gets signed. I doubt there are 100k based US miners that are aware of the petition sadly Tongue

LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2014, 03:46:21 PM

I think you may have forgotten about the roughly 13% self emplyment tax which will also be imposed on earning according to the ruling.

I will be soon offering a legal solution for that one though!

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 12:15:51 AM

I think you may have forgotten about the roughly 13% self emplyment tax which will also be imposed on earning according to the ruling.

My $.02.

Wink

What  legal solution, can you tell us any more?

LostDutchman

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2014, 12:32:28 AM

My $.02.

Wink

What  legal solution, can you tell us any more?

I will soon have the text and website for my legal, ethical and easy to work offering ready; in fact, this weekend if all goes well.

I will keep you posted and thank you for your interest!

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: