Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:29:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Coin that mines art  (Read 592 times)
mambawaba (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 02:26:00 PM

With primecoin and the idea to make something useful out of the mining process I think it would be really cool to take all that processing power to generate art.

By art, I mean 3D art by rendering images. That is a computer intensive step in creating 3d art and specially animation. Small artists and studios could benefit from a render farm that would render their works, and a Coin that is mined by rendering images(frames of animations) would generate artistic value in the world while creating coins for the miners, that would not need to be artists themselves.

There are already free render farms (like https://www.sheepit-renderfarm.com) where artists can share the render processing among them, and gain points to have priority on the next renders, however, this is a close community. If it was a Coin, that would create Coins for the miner, anyone one could mine it for the Coins, while the artists didn't make Coins with it(unless they also mine), but would have their work rendered with much more powerful machines than they would probably ever have.

No matter how fast computers get, rendering engines also get more powerful in their simulations, and this is always a demanding task.
Blender's render engine (blender.org , the de facto free and open source 3D software) supports CPU and GPU render so there are lots of possibilities there.

There would be no incentive to just put useless projects to render, because the artists don't get any coins for the finished renders, only the miners.

If it stays within free and open source, (with Blender) large studios wouldn't benefit with it at the beginning at least, they have different tools and their own render farms, but would facilitate small independent studios from around the world to make projects that otherwise might not be possible.

I'm sure someone else already thought about this before and there are of course lots of technical stuff that I can't grasp(I'm just an artist), but I couldn't find anyone talking about this and would like to know what you think!

cheers,
Frederico.

Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 02:28:20 PM

INteresting and a support for this coin too!

Not bad!

Regards!
OnkelPaul
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 02:35:33 PM

The thing about proof of work in a cryptocurrency is that it must be expensive to compute, but cheap to verify.
How would the nodes that maintain the blockchain verify that a given render result is in fact the right one?
Another thing is that the process should be random (so that not always the fastest miner wins) and needs an adjustable difficulty. I don't see how such an approach could provide this.

There's a coin that tries to employ useful work in a somewhat comparable approach (gridcoin) but I fear that it can be cheated because it depends on an "observer" testing whether your computer was active with useful work (BOINC work packets in that case).

Onkel Paul

Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 02:36:40 PM

Art is self-indulgence.

While you are making your pretty painting, someone else in the world has to gather your food and provide heat for your shelter.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2014, 02:39:04 PM

Why make this decentralised and a currency? I don't really see the point of it, unless there are some serious assholes out there no ones going to go and take down artists who just want to share computing power to make 3D artwork, I think you're trying to re-invent the wheel and it's a bit unnecessary, the only time I would ever think of something like this being necessary is if somebody like Beliathon took over the world and decided he was going to have everything bland and grey.
lucasjkr

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 07:07:09 PM

I don't think you can burn CPU-cycles just for the sake of it and have that be your proof of work.

You COULD create a system, whereby a rendering job is funded with x amount of Bitcoins and broken into a ton of tiny blocks. Each worker could be assigned a new, random block as soon as it finishes its prior block, and each block would be sent to three workers (at least). So long as those three workers all generated the same result it would be deemed to be a valid result, and they'd each split the reward for that block.

So, studios could access a huge amount of CPU power if they were willing to pay for it. But, in the whole world scale, it would mean that each render would consume at least 3 times the electricity as compared to if they ran the rendering process in house without worry about anyone trying to game the system by submitting false results.

But turning that into a blockchain?
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 08:47:00 PM

well what about ArtCoin

where each block is a canvas, where people paint on

each pixel contains a cash value.  some are worth more than others.

overall there's a total of 1 ART cash in each picture.

i am here.
marine4u

Activity: 673
Merit: 105

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 09:02:07 PM

How about mining health

How about computing genetic and cancer related research with simultaneous mining hashing algo

in the future you can give credit to Marinecoin where you got the idea from

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/about_us/viewNewsArticle.do?articleId=210

start here
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.258.9509&rep=rep1&type=pdf
http://www.nature.com/news/gamers-outdo-computers-at-matching-up-disease-genes-1.10203
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: