Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 02:11:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Here's an interesting question....  (Read 2619 times)
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:20:44 PM

The FBI moved them to their own wallets.

They'll be auctioned. There are (or were) a lot of people lining up to buy them. No doubt the price will crash anyway because people seem to enjoy a good panic.
grifferz

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 03:53:02 PM

The FBI moved them to their own wallets.
Interesting. I see from:

http://www.fbi.gov/newyork/press-releases/2013/manhattan-u.s.-attorney-announces-seizure-of-additional-28-million-worth-of-bitcoins-belonging-to-ross-william-ulbricht-alleged-owner-and-operator-of-silk-road-website

Through forensic analysis of the computer hardware, federal law enforcement agents recovered a Bitcoin wallet containing approximately 144,336 Bitcoins.

I wonder who exactly within the US government has access to the private keys of the new addresses now.

I also wonder if they could make more at auction than selling them slowly on an exchange site! Obviously trying to sell them all would move the market, question is how much will the market move on news of an auction.
gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 04:06:17 PM

There's no way in hell they'd ever dream of using any current exchange. They'd have to pay fees, they're not legitimate enough, there's not enough money on them and any exchange would probably be wiped off the face of the Earth by Anonymous or someone similar.

All the big sales take place miles from an exchange. The large public holders like SecondMarket would have deals with early holders or big time miners to buy directly from them.

The market probably will plunge briefly even though it has absolutely no impact on how it operates. The coins will go into an investor's pocket and be sat on. I'd guess they'd set the auction price by taking a mean across all the exchanges. There's no shortage of people ready to buy them all.
pozmu

Activity: 770
Merit: 504

(っ◔◡◔)っ🍪

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 06:53:50 PM

Logically those coins should be destroyed, but is there any way to prove that they are?
It is possible to "burn" coins by sending them to invalid address, just like CounterParty did.

amspir

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 07:38:01 PM

Logically those coins should be destroyed, but is there any way to prove that they are?
It is possible to "burn" coins by sending them to invalid address, just like CounterParty did.

Why all this talk of "burning" coins?   There's nothing inherently illegal about bitcoin.   It would make as much sense as for the government to burn stacks of US currency seized in a drug bust.

gentlemand
Legendary

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 08:11:53 PM

If nothing else their sale would certainly put the lid on all that coin validation shit.
S4VV4S (OP)

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 08:39:41 PM

Why all this talk of "burning" coins?   There's nothing inherently illegal about bitcoin.   It would make as much sense as for the government to burn stacks of US currency seized in a drug bust.

That is exactly what they should do....
mktrader

Activity: 84

Hello World!!!

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 09:40:26 PM

Seizing those coins were like seizing the property. So those will not be destroyed, but may be sold in like chunks over time.

Price Poll: bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=555609
leopard2
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 09:40:44 PM

Why should they destroy them? They are not illegal, like drugs.

The fact that Falcon wants to buy them should be a lesson to all bears. It means that serious investors believe in BTC.  Grin

Truth is the new hatespeech.
amspir

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 10:25:23 PM

I'm not following the logic of why a government would want to do this.
S4VV4S (OP)

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 05:14:38 AM

I'm not following the logic of why a government would want to do this.

I am not saying that they want to do this, I am saying that they should do this.
Just like they "do" with the illegal drugs they seize Wink

It is none the less the biggest part of an illegal act!
It's all about the money right?
Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 04:30:11 PM

Logically those coins should be destroyed,
Why? They aren't dangerous, like drugs or guns or alcohol or tobacco. They will probably be auctioned off, as if they were the proceeds of crime, eg like when a drug-dealer's car gets seized.

but is there any way to prove that they are?
Yes. There are three main ways to get rid of unwanted coins:

• Send them in a transaction that has a spending script that always returns false. Technically, consists only of OP_RETURN. This is provable and does exactly what you want.
  • Send them in a transaction with zero outputs. This doesn't destroy them, but it distributes them in a more or less random way, to the miner who mines that block. It's better - less deflationary - for the community. We would want to be sure they weren't broadcast in a way that favoured a miner who was connected to the public servant charged with getting rid of them.
  • Send them to a nonsense address for which it is unlikely that anyone knows the private key. This isn't quite provable, although if they use an address like 1crimedoesntpaycrimedoesntpayguys and it turns out someone has the private key, they probably deserve the money.

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
SherdonIke

Activity: 66
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 05:21:47 PM

of course there are no proofs that those coins were destroyed
BunsenBurner

Activity: 653
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 06:12:20 PM

Why? They aren't dangerous, like drugs or guns or alcohol or tobacco. They will probably be auctioned off, as if they were the proceeds of crime, eg like when a drug-dealer's car gets seized.

Exactly, bitcoin is currently treated as a property, and those bitcoin will probably be auctioned off after the case is closed.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 06:33:39 PM

I heard rumors that the FBI has already attempted to sell some of the coins... but they are just rumors. Can't confirm the news.
BitCoinsLOL

Activity: 214
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 06:37:43 PM

Exactly, bitcoin is currently treated as a property, and those bitcoin will probably be auctioned off after the case is closed.

IRS declares BTC a property while FBI holds 80milly makes perfect sense.

I never thought my life could be. Anything but catastrophe. But suddenly I begin to see. A "BIT" of good luck for me. Cause I've got a golden ticket!
Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 09:36:22 PM

of course there are no proofs that those coins were destroyed
There are if you use OP_RETURN. Everyone can verify from the block-chain that they became unspendable.

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB
ensarwyckven

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 09:59:05 PM

They will sell the seized Bitcoins off in any number of divided lots at a series of separate public or private auctions.
ReBoRn

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

Bitcoin will survive

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:02:20 PM

I heard rumors that the FBI has already attempted to sell some of the coins... but they are just rumors. Can't confirm the news.
I heard that they are doing some work for giving these coins back to community but currently have not confirmed how and when they are doing this

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 01:16:14 AM

OK, I know that the SilkRoad case is still under investigation but....

What will happen to all the seized coins after the case is closed?

Hopefully a Gov auction, which is better than being dumped on an exchange.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: