Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:39:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining is dead  (Read 11714 times)
hashnine

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:30:37 PM
Last edit: April 07, 2014, 06:49:22 PM by hashnine

Mining is only dead for those whose electrical costs are high enough to actually strip out any profit given the coin they are on.  

Mining may be dead for one person, but not at all for another.  Blanket statements like 'mining is dead' are made by newbies who are simply new to the profitability cycle of virtual currency and who likely came in merely for a quick speculative buck based on something they read or where told.  These same newbies always make the mistake of thinking that their ROI will be a linear constant.  It almost never is.  It could be sped up in impressive fashion (re: latest altcoin explosion over the winter), or sit back and plod along like stuff is now.  

In short, you either give yourself the necessary time to potentially break even in the least - or simply don't even get involved in the first place.

Remember, the lazy person always starves - the same is true for altcoin mining. If you don't work at it, you will starve too.  The profitability landscape is always shifting: one must adapt to the shifts.  Nothing ever dies.  

+1  Only person in this thread that makes any damn sense..  

Lol, you are stupid? mathematics can't lie... ATM Mining GPU is dead. Explain me how you can win more than you have invested, if you paid a graphic card 300$ for 400 to 800 kh/s ? You can't, unless the price of the coin is increased, so actually, at the moment, you can only hope to be lucky / to mine a coin who will be high in the futur.

Mining is not dead for peoples like you and me who have already win more than they have invested, cause of the past.

Blanket statements like '+1 but i have no arguments' are made by newbies.

Roll Eyes

Careful XC anonymous coin is a scam

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
soulnecturn

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:57:32 PM

When part of posts here I read ... I felt like reading troll box on btc-e exchange ... lol ... nice to read got some fun but in longer term its boring and all same...
partially I got banana on face when looking how some of yoou think :/

Anyway ... I have loads of gpus ... and over week ago bought another 5 r9 290 for great price from panic seller heh ... Still everyday observing for best offers ... if will notice such a = will buy Wink
Why?
I wont answer ... some reasons looks like are overwhelming those who just trolling how mining is dead... and simply dont look at all at bitcoin history and whats happeniing around...

Life IS little similar to market... you just NEED to learn how it works Wink

Good luck and happy mining everyon Wink

Regards
Owner of more and more and more gpus Wink
suchmoon
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 8922

https://bpip.org

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 08:22:54 PM

Times like these are great for a smart miner. Just like in October it was a great time to buy up used 7950s at $150, or at the end of November was a great time to load up on those 280X at $300 and mine the crap out of them through the next 3 months and then unload at 50-100% profit. I don't think we're at rock bottom quite yet, but then again I haven't been following hardware pricing recently. Anyone who wants to quit is welcome to do so, it's only for the better if some sanity is restored. Of course it's unreasonable to expect that everyone and their dog could buy an overpriced graphics card and make 100% in two months, which seemed to be the motivating illusion for a lot of people who are now complaining. Be smart, do your homework, follow the trends, invest with care, and if that's not how you imagine mining - quit.
Holm

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 06:01:48 PM

if the price of bitcoin will going down and you just want to start mining u will never get your money back Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
azguard
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Crypto-News.net: News from Crypto World

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 07:01:38 PM

Few times a year prices of BTC goes down, that doesn't mean u should stop mining.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄██████████████████▄
       ▄████████████████████████▄
 ▄▄  ▄████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████████▄
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████▄
   ██████████████████████████████████
   ▀████████████████████████████████▀
    ▀██████████████████████████████▀
     ▀▀██████████████████████████▀
        ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

Holm

Activity: 70

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 07:03:23 PM

Few times a year prices of BTC goes down, that doesn't mean u should stop mining.

if you already have a rige
skleven

Activity: 281
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:07:34 PM

Mining is dead is just BS. Something always comes along and make it work. I buildt two rigs (4x280x each) in september. Took a ride on the Dogecointrain and the Maxcointrain, then i sold it all to gamers in february for 60% of what i payed for it. It worked out quite well. Also, i could turn off my usual 1500w of heating this winter. Wink Now i have a few antminers, and they have soon made a ROI too. So mining is very much alive.
precrime3

Activity: 84

PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 08:09:19 PM

Mining is dead is just BS. Something always comes along and make it work. I buildt two rigs (4x280x each) in september. Took a ride on the Dogecointrain and the Maxcointrain, then i sold it all to gamers in february for 60% of what i payed for it. It worked out quite well. Also, i could turn off my usual 1500w of heating this winter. Wink Now i have a few antminers, and they have soon made a ROI too. So mining is very much alive.

Its alive, but its not profitable. I don't want to resell my stuff later down the road to some ignorant gamers. I myself am a gamer, who wants a GPU that's been running 100% for who knows how long?

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 08:57:34 PM

if you already have a rige

don't sell it then

what's the point of selling it, if you know that you are gonna buy another again 3 months later? it sound retarded
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 09:02:04 PM

Its alive, but its not profitable. I don't want to resell my stuff later down the road to some ignorant gamers. I myself am a gamer, who wants a GPU that's been running 100% for who knows how long?

Don't resell if you don't want to. GPUs commonly have 3 year warranties, plenty of time for ROI if you keep up with the trends.

On the other hand I always disclose that my GPUs were used for mining when I sell them. Maybe I'm getting a few bucks less because of that. Never had a single complaint. Running at 100% does not automatically mean something bad.

precrime3

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 09:36:01 PM

Don't resell if you don't want to. GPUs commonly have 3 year warranties, plenty of time for ROI if you keep up with the trends.

On the other hand I always disclose that my GPUs were used for mining when I sell them. Maybe I'm getting a few bucks less because of that. Never had a single complaint. Running at 100% does not automatically mean something bad.

It doesn't "automatically" mean bad. Sure, Ill give you that. Most of the time its usually 100% stuck next to 5 cards doing the same thing, and depending on the algorithm, strain on the card. I never did buy used electronics, especially computer electronics. Now, I doubt I will ever with.

kolikko

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 10:29:55 PM

Mining pot @ 4,10c/kWh coal burned electricity. Rigs are outside. I wonder how much they warm atmosphere before the heat is shifted in space.
skleven

Activity: 281

View Profile
April 20, 2014, 11:07:28 PM

GPUmining without calculating the resellvalue is just crazy. Also CPU, mobo, harddrive and RAM is worth money. And actualy, one of the 280x i sold went dead a few weeks ago, that guy now has a brand new 280X. It`s called warranty.  Wink You also have to remember that we all saw these "mining is dead" forumposts in spring2012, winter12/13, and fall2013. They all went silent when prices went up. History tells me this will happen again and again.
So mining is not dead. But it is ofcouse worse than it was before christmas.
suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2014, 11:16:27 PM

It doesn't "automatically" mean bad. Sure, Ill give you that. Most of the time its usually 100% stuck next to 5 cards doing the same thing, and depending on the algorithm, strain on the card. I never did buy used electronics, especially computer electronics. Now, I doubt I will ever with.

It's your personal preference and I'm sure you have a good reason for it, but it has nothing to do with mining profitability.
precrime3

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2014, 12:30:00 AM

It's your personal preference and I'm sure you have a good reason for it, but it has nothing to do with mining profitability.

OF course it does. Are you saying you can make a profit off of mining without reselling equipment? If so how? Please, do tell  Grin

suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2014, 12:44:45 AM

OF course it does. Are you saying you can make a profit off of mining without reselling equipment? If so how? Please, do tell  Grin

Or you can read a few posts above and read EXACTLY what I'm saying. Which is - since you are not going to read anyway Smiley - that you can resell or not, both ways work. Still has nothing to do with your personal preference to not buy used equipment.
precrime3

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2014, 01:02:36 AM

But is mining without reselling profitable? I'm sure it works, but that's what I'm after. If it is, hell, start buying those rigs!

suchmoon
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 21, 2014, 01:21:33 AM

But is mining without reselling profitable? I'm sure it works, but that's what I'm after. If it is, hell, start buying those rigs!

It is profitable for me, but my definition of profitability might be different from yours. You have to do your own math, including cost of equipment, power costs, expected mining earnings, value of your time etc.
n00bnoxious

Activity: 280

Bitnation Development Team Member

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 10:58:54 AM

That link takes you to the calculations for DRK, HIRO and LIM at 10Mh/s. Currently that instance is only for X11 coins. If anybody can think of any X11s that should be added to the list, let me know and I'll see about adding them. Subsidy functions are surprisingly easy to port from C to PHP!

The app can also be used for other coins, just I'm not personally interested in Scrypt. Nevertheless I've included subsidy functions for a whole bunch of scrypt and scrypt-n coins to make using them even easier. For those of you who are and want to set up a calculator server feel more than free. The code's all up here: https://github.com/n00bsys0p/altcoin-mining-calculator-php.

It'll even run on a local Apache instance as an API if you want it to - you could even set up a cluster, with an instance up for each algo type, so you can keep your finger right on the pulse.

Feel free to PM me for info or instructions!
jparsley

Activity: 266

View Profile
April 21, 2014, 05:14:23 PM

There are lots of new coins u can mine

please unban me.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: