Bitcoin Forum
September 28, 2026, 08:24:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 31.1 [Torrent]
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: In this case how do you keep your Bitcoin wallet safe?  (Read 1693 times)
wapwapwendy
Newbie
*
Offline

Activity: 54
Merit: 0


View Profile
September 27, 2026, 09:53:29 AM
 #141

Imagine you are living a big family house because you have no choice and you got to invest some money in Bitcoin and store them in a hardware wallet, then you have a safe beside your bed where every can pass by how will you make sure no one goes near out?

A friend said he had to set up an alarm system in the locked safe so that he can be notified on phone when someone opens his safe where he kept his hardware wallet.

I don't know if this is a good idea but I will like people's opinion about this, if you are living in a crowdy house basically a family house how do you keep your Bitcoin wallet safe?

I wouldn't make the hardware wallet the main thing to protect. The seed phrase is what matters most. Keep it offline, don't tell anyone where it is, and consider storing backups in separate secure locations. The safe alarm is just an extra layer.
chekokhan
Newbie
*
Offline

Activity: 13
Merit: 0


View Profile
September 27, 2026, 04:37:12 PM
 #142

Honestly, the safe alarm is not bad idea  but it’s not the main solution. The hardware wallet is not the money. The seed phrase is. If someone gets your 12/24 words, they can restore your wallet on any device and drain it, even if your hardware wallet is still locked in the safe. So locking the device but keeping the seed somewhere in the house is backwards.
In a crowded family house, the threat isn’t just burglars. It’s family, guests, kids, friends of family, people who know your room and habits. They might not even steal — they might just snoop, take a photo, or copy the seed and you won’t know until it’s gone.

What I’d do:

· Tell no one you hold BTC. Privacy is part of security.
· Use a hardware wallet with a PIN and a strong passphrase. The passphrase is like a 25th word. Store it separately from the seed. If someone finds the seed but not the passphrase, your funds are still safe.
· Never store the seed digitally. No photos, no cloud, no notes app, no email. Metal backup is better if you can.
· Don’t keep the seed and the hardware wallet in the same place. Ideally, keep the seed offsite — bank locker, trusted relative, or split in two hidden locations.
· Bolt the safe down and hide it. A safe beside your bed where everyone walks past is the first place people will look. Alarm notification is fine, but it only tells you after someone already opened it. It won’t stop them from copying the seed.
· You can use a decoy wallet with a small amount in the obvious safe. Keep the real stash elsewhere.
· If the amount is serious, learn multisig 2-of-3. Keys in different locations. That’s the real answer for a crowded or untrusted environment.
So your friend’s idea isn’t bad, but it’s not enough. The alarm is a nice extra. The real protection is seed secrecy, a passphrase, and not keeping everything in one house. If you can’t secure the seed properly, don’t keep life-changing money in Bitcoin yet.
ChocolateBitcoinK
Full Member
***
Offline

Activity: 756
Merit: 217



View Profile
September 27, 2026, 06:53:37 PM
 #143

If you are very worried about the security of your wallet here, then in that case I would say divide your seed phrase into two parts and keep the two parts in different places so that if someone gets one of them, they will not be able to access the wallet with it. And in this case, you can also keep the digital copy on two different drives. And of course, do not share the Pin with anyone. Keeping Bitcoin safe is not very difficult if you think about it logically. If I were in such a situation, I would do the same.

Yes, keeping a Bitcoin wallet safe is not very difficult. Usually I like to keep a double copy of my wallet phrase. Because I have heard many times and seen in some news that because of losing a single wallet phrase, now he is not able to recover his bitcoins, and also maybe I heard in some news that he wrote the wallet phrase in his diary but his house caught fire, so his diary burned down, and as a result he lost his bitcoins.

And that is why I think it is safe to keep a double copy, so that even if one is lost for some reason, the bitcoins can be recovered through the other.

Quote
I would say divide your seed phrase into two parts and keep the two parts in different places
But I have never thought of your idea of ​​keeping the entire wallet phrase in half, that is, if there are 12 random words in the wallet phrase, then keep 6 words in two separate places, right?

Yes, this is not bad either, because if someone somehow gets the wallet phrase, then he can steal my bitcoins, but if I keep the phrase separately, then he cannot take my bitcoins with half the phrase. This is also a good idea. However, you should be careful about keeping an online copy, because there may be a risk of device hack or malware, but you should definitely keep a digital copy safely.

Youngrebel
Full Member
***
Offline

Activity: 658
Merit: 219


Bitcoin hits 888,888 Block


View Profile
September 27, 2026, 10:35:28 PM
 #144

Firstly you have to know that kind for family you come from, if you have a thief among the family members and hoe you guys relate to each other.  Then if they know your involvement in bitcoin investment,  all these are very necessary to know if you can store it there.  Some family members are criminals they can even steal from family just to hurt you, it's Better to evaluate the family first then you know the step to take.

I'll advice him not to store in that safe since his friend is already aware of his plan except he's a trusted friend. Because many friends are trusted than family.  If he's not a trusted friend I'll not take his advice same friend will go and tell his family member where you kept it. I'll  rather keep it in my clothe box and lock it very well unknown to anyone.
For sure trust is one of major factor here, but I would not rely too much on whether someone is family or a friend and anyone who knows exactly where your bitcoin backup is can become a security risk most especially if they know its value and i think the safest approach is actually to avoid telling people where you keep it in the first place and I think maybe keeping it in a box of clothes may be a bit safe and private, and if someone discovers it, the Bitcoin could still be lost and for me, the focus should be on secure storage and keeping the backup location confidential rather than choosing between family and friends.

tabas
Hero Member
*****
Online Online

Activity: 3864
Merit: 855


NO DEPO CODE VEGAR7, NO KYC Casino


View Profile WWW
September 27, 2026, 10:50:37 PM
 #145

Setting an alarm system is good but it will only work if you're there in the area or close to it if someone attempts to do something with your safe. I think this is even giving the robbers an idea that you have something important inside it. You cannot always monitor that if that safe is near your bed because if you're away, they can plan away the heist. But I am curious, if you're in a big family then you can't trust them all? I know that there are families that are not close to each other can't easily trust them but, not to this point that your assets are also going to be affected. It might be best to leave that house then.

██████
██
██

████████████████
███████████████
██████████████
██████████████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄███████▌██▄▄████▄██
█████████████▄██▀▀▀▀██▄██▄███▀███████▄██▀▀▀▀███
████████████▐██▄▄▄▄▄▄██▌▐██▀███████▌▐███████▐██
████████████▐██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▐██▄███████▌▐██▄████▐██
█████████████▀██▄▄▄▄█████▀███▄▄▄██▀██▀██▄▄▄▄███
███████▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄▌███▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀
████████████████████████████▄███▄██
███████████████████████████▀█████▀










██
██
██████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
│ 
  150 FS NO DEPOSIT BONUS ..... Subscribe to Our Telegram ( > ) .....   PLAY NOW   
│
Faisal2202
Hero Member
*****
Offline

Activity: 2058
Merit: 619


#kycfree 🗽


View Profile WWW
September 27, 2026, 11:56:02 PM
 #146

If you are very worried about the security of your wallet here, then in that case I would say divide your seed phrase into two parts and keep the two parts in different places so that if someone gets one of them, they will not be able to access the wallet with it. And in this case, you can also keep the digital copy on two different drives. And of course, do not share the Pin with anyone. Keeping Bitcoin safe is not very difficult if you think about it logically. If I were in such a situation, I would do the same.
I also used to think like this, but saving a seed phrase in two places can become a problem later if those places were not safe, because if someone has accessed it, that means they can't do anything without the other piece, but you won't be able to move funds either. So it's better to encrypt your seed phrase and important data offline, not by any online tool. And then record it somewhere safe and keep it offline also, but don't store them in older generation smartphones with no upgrades. My old smartphone is failing to open the notes I used to have on it, but fortunately, I moved everything somewhere else before, otherwise it could be a problem for me.

▄███████████████████████▄
██████████▀███▄██████████
████████▀████▀▀██████████
█████████████████▀███████
███████▀▄████▄▄██████████
██████████▄███▀██████████
████████▐███████▌████████
██████████▄███▀██████████
██████████▀▀████▀▄███████
███████▄█████████████████
██████████▄▄████▄████████
██████████▀███▄██████████
▀███████████████████████▀
 
 MoBit 
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
 NO   LOGS
 
 LOW  FEES
 
 PGP  GUARANTEE
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
░▀▀██▀▀
oldB
Newbie
*
Offline

Activity: 1
Merit: 0


View Profile
Today at 08:29:57 AM
 #147

First and foremost, you should choose a safe that other members of your family can’t easily open, otherwise, what’s the point of having a safe if it’s constantly being opened and you keep getting notifications about it on your phone? The alarm system will be useless if you’re not home when the safe is opened. The main thing is to make sure there are no strangers in the house, otherwise, the hardware wallet could be stolen in a single instance of the safe being opened, and no notifications will help. You can also install a camera pointed at the safe so that, in the event of a theft, you can see who the thief is.
Pablo-wood
Sr. Member
****
Offline

Activity: 924
Merit: 312



View Profile WWW
Today at 09:26:08 AM
 #148

Firstly you have to know that kind for family you come from, if you have a thief among the family members and hoe you guys relate to each other.  Then if they know your involvement in bitcoin investment,  all these are very necessary to know if you can store it there.  Some family members are criminals they can even steal from family just to hurt you, it's Better to evaluate the family first then you know the step to take.

I'll advice him not to store in that safe since his friend is already aware of his plan except he's a trusted friend. Because many friends are trusted than family.  If he's not a trusted friend I'll not take his advice same friend will go and tell his family member where you kept it. I'll  rather keep it in my clothe box and lock it very well unknown to anyone.
For sure trust is one of major factor here, but I would not rely too much on whether someone is family or a friend and anyone who knows exactly where your bitcoin backup is can become a security risk most especially if they know its value and i think the safest approach is actually to avoid telling people where you keep it in the first place and I think maybe keeping it in a box of clothes may be a bit safe and private, and if someone discovers it, the Bitcoin could still be lost and for me, the focus should be on secure storage and keeping the backup location confidential rather than choosing between family and friends.
A box of cloth will only be private if we have relatives or friends who don't bother about wearing our clothes but in a case where our clothes are worn buy our relatives It might become a case of concern. To be it is best to get our own apartment no matter how small, that way we can guarantee the safety of our  bitcoin investment without fear of theft either by friends or family members.

As for trusted friends I will simply no one can be trusted when it comes to assets and investments especially when the economy is forcing inflation on us. We have heard stories of friends and families hurting each other just to take away things they never owned.


███████▄▄███▄███▄
███▄▄████████▌████▄
▄██████████████▐███▌
██▄███████████▌████▌
████████▀███████▐▌█
███████████████▌█▌▐
████████▄████████▐▐
██████████████████▌
███████████████▄██▄
██████████████▀▀▀
█████▀███▀▀▀

█▄▄▄██████▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
████████████████████████████
████▌█████▀███▌█████▀▀███████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
████▌█████▄███▌█████▄███▐███████████████████▄
▐████████████▀███████▄██████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▀
▐████████████▄██▄███████████▌█████████▄████▀
▐█████████▀██████████▌█████████████▄▄████▀
██████████▄█████▀████████▐███▌██▄██████▀
██████████████▀███▐███▌██████████████████████
████▀██████▀▀█████████▌███▀▀▀▀███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▌

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
 
P R E M I E R   B I T C O I N   C A S I N O   &   S P O R T S B O O K
 

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█▀▀
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
▀▀▀

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
98%
RTP


▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▀▀█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
▀▀▀

█▀▀
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
▀▀▀

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
HIGH
ODDS


▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▀▀█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
▀▀▀

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀

███████████████████████████████
 
PLAY NOW
 

███████████████████████████████

██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▄▄▄▄██
▀▀▀▀▀▀
Powerjumboo
Full Member
***
Online Online

Activity: 686
Merit: 198



View Profile
Today at 01:45:13 PM
 #149

Imagine you are living a big family house because you have no choice and you got to invest some money in Bitcoin and store them in a hardware wallet, then you have a safe beside your bed where every can pass by how will you make sure no one goes near out?

A friend said he had to set up an alarm system in the locked safe so that he can be notified on phone when someone opens his safe where he kept his hardware wallet.

I don't know if this is a good idea but I will like people's opinion about this, if you are living in a crowdy house basically a family house how do you keep your Bitcoin wallet safe?
I live in a joint family and despite being a member of a joint family, I have kept my Bitcoin wallet safe. Even though I don't use a hardware wallet, I have kept my wallet's seed phrase very carefully written down in my notebook. Probably no one else will be able to access it except me. Moreover, everyone in my family is very good-hearted and they would not cheat me. Even then, since flesh-and-blood people can change their minds at any time, I have kept my wallet's seed phrase very carefully.

Sunshine1525
Full Member
***
Offline

Activity: 280
Merit: 132


Bitcoin shall soon shine... Say it faster, hahaha.


View Profile
Today at 01:59:09 PM
 #150

I live in a joint family and despite being a member of a joint family, I have kept my Bitcoin wallet safe. Even though I don't use a hardware wallet, I have kept my wallet's seed phrase very carefully written down in my notebook. Probably no one else will be able to access it except me. Moreover, everyone in my family is very good-hearted and they would not cheat me. Even then, since flesh-and-blood people can change their minds at any time, I have kept my wallet's seed phrase very carefully.

If you're very sure that where you kept your seed phrase is safe then that's cool but you'll still need a duplicate in case of emergency situations like flood or fire outbreak, it's some no one wishes for but to avoid regretting, having a duplicate is important incase those uncertain situations happen.

However, i like that you trust your family so much but trust no one aside a next of kin with sensitive informations like that, I've seen where family hurt family cause of money.

Just Say
Sr. Member
****
Online Online

Activity: 952
Merit: 365



View Profile
Today at 05:01:23 PM
 #151

Imagine you are living a big family house because you have no choice and you got to invest some money in Bitcoin and store them in a hardware wallet, then you have a safe beside your bed where every can pass by how will you make sure no one goes near out?

A friend said he had to set up an alarm system in the locked safe so that he can be notified on phone when someone opens his safe where he kept his hardware wallet.

I don't know if this is a good idea but I will like people's opinion about this, if you are living in a crowdy house basically a family house how do you keep your Bitcoin wallet safe?
I live in a joint family and despite being a member of a joint family, I have kept my Bitcoin wallet safe. Even though I don't use a hardware wallet, I have kept my wallet's seed phrase very carefully written down in my notebook. Probably no one else will be able to access it except me. Moreover, everyone in my family is very good-hearted and they would not cheat me. Even then, since flesh-and-blood people can change their minds at any time, I have kept my wallet's seed phrase very carefully.
To keep the Bitcoin wallet safe, it is not safe to write down the seed phrase in a notebook as you should instead write it down on a metal plate. However since you are not using a hardware wallet to store your bitcoins, you should be more aware that many crypto exchanges have been hacked these days, leaving customers' crypto assets in the hands of fraudsters.

In the same way Bitget has been hacked in recent times which led to hundreds of millions of dollars being stolen and they froze customers' Bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies but it appears that they have already resumed Bitcoin withdrawals, enabling users to withdraw Bitcoin using both the Bitcoin network and the BSC network. In fact I think hardware wallets should be used to keep bitcoin holdings safe.

virasisog
Hero Member
*****
Offline

Activity: 2170
Merit: 537


View Profile WWW
Today at 05:16:02 PM
 #152

Don't brag about your investment so that they wouldn't be aware of it, and do they even know how to access your hardware wallet?
I used to live with my family before and they know about crypto and my hardware wallet but they don't know the pin and seed phrase so even if I leave my hardware wallet in open space my investment would still be safe.
We could replace the hardware wallet as long as we have our seed phrase so for me it is better to secure the seed phrase or back up to ensure that we wouldn't lose what is inside the wallet even if we lose the wallet.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  All
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!