The paths for Bitcoin and crypto orientation are very important. Most of the guys you are talking about don't know this forum exist, many of them are X warriors looking for the next coin to buy and sell and search for airdrops. This is why most of them are very familiar with Trust wallet. Binance also play a major role in why Trust wallet is very popular, when they recommened a wallet, It's either you use their Binance web3 or Trust wallet.
Reading your post feel like you are pointing finger at the old me before joining the forum. I was one of those guys you just described. I literally believed trust wallet was so safe that I could so depend on it with my every damn saving. until I joined the forum and I started seeing faults and reasons why I should not trust the trust wallet so much. And I can tell you for a fact that most of those X guys do not even know what is the difference between an open source wallet and a closed source wallet.