Bitcoin Forum
September 28, 2026, 06:44:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 31.1 [Torrent]
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Not your keys not your coins for traders  (Read 440 times)
shinratensei_
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 3962
Merit: 1070


Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform


View Profile
Today at 02:29:02 AM
 #41

These are the ways I have reduced the probability of losing too much money on exchanges. I want to see your own opinions of what you are doing to reduce the chance of losing too much money on exchanges during hack.
I lowkey don't really use centralized exchange after perpetual dexes are a thing, hyperliquid and others have close to 0 bps difference to centralized exchange these days, absolutely no reason to use centralized exchange if you want to trade yet you don't want the hacks and the custody. By doing this I already avoided possibility of losing money by hacks and it's very convenient because I can arbitrage on-chain fast by withdrawing directly. Centralized exchange is outdated. Dividing to several accounts also pain in the ass when trading perpetual, always need to move around capital to avoid liquidation so I only used one account.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
Awaklara
Hero Member
*****
Offline

Activity: 1932
Merit: 862


View Profile
Today at 03:40:00 AM
 #42

I use two to three exchanges but I don't keep dollars on the exchange because I was caught by KuCoin last year and this exchange is holding my money. So far I haven't been able to withdraw my money, so I keep my money separate from all these exchanges. I deposit dollars for the time I will be trading, and when I finish trading I withdraw all the money and bring it to my wallet. I use this strategy because I don't want my money to be at risk on the exchange,
so I have been controlling my money this way, maybe people will call me stupid because it costs money to deposit but I don't care about this cost. I have planned to lose my new money but not to lock up my entire capital.
That is not a foolish step, but it indeed should be like that. Withdraw your trading funds when the trading matters are finished, that is your money. If you leave your funds on a centralized exchange, you cannot yet count them as profit. 
Just use the funds that you have already budgeted for trading. Whether using only one or two exchanges. Leaving them on the exchange is certainly not a good option, even though some traders do it to make the whole process easier.
SilverCryptoBullet
Sr. Member
****
Offline

Activity: 1176
Merit: 311



View Profile
Today at 03:47:58 AM
 #43

That is not a foolish step, but it indeed should be like that. Withdraw your trading funds when the trading matters are finished, that is your money. If you leave your funds on a centralized exchange, you cannot yet count them as profit. 
Just use the funds that you have already budgeted for trading. Whether using only one or two exchanges. Leaving them on the exchange is certainly not a good option, even though some traders do it to make the whole process easier.
It's not only about profit but also more important about your initial trading capital.

Reminder: do not keep your money in online accounts.
Events made you scare about custodial wallets, centralized exchanges.

When traders fund their accounts on centralized exchanges, they started to have risk of losing their initial trading capital. It's the same if later by trading they have profit with their accounts but don't withdrawal profit and initial trading capital to their non custodial wallets.

No private keys, no controls, and funds can be lost to the exchanges if they scam exit or to the hackers and if exchanges won't compensate users.











██
██
██████
R


▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
██████
██
██
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
██████████████
 
 THE #1 SOLANA CASINO 
██████████████
██████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██████
████████████▄
▀▀██████▀▀███
██▄▄▀▀▄▄█████
█████████████
█████████████
███▀█████████
▀▄▄██████████
█████████████
█████████████
█████████████
█████████████
█████████████
████████████▀
████████████▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████
█████████████
▄████████████
██▄██████████
████▄████████
█████████████
█░▀▀█████████
▀▀███████████
█████▄███████
████▀▄▀██████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████
████████████▀
[
[
5,000+
GAMES
INSTANT
WITHDRAWALS
][
][
HUGE
   REWARDS   
VIP
PROGRAM
]
]
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
████████████████████████████████████████████████
 
PLAY NOW
 

████████████████████████████████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
jcojci
Full Member
***
Offline

Activity: 1960
Merit: 206


Bitz.io Best Bitcoin and Crypto Casino


View Profile
Today at 06:29:55 AM
 #44

My prevention is only use the money I can. I never use more than $100 in one exchange maybe only less than $50. I am okay with small profit because I don't chase a big profit in a single trade so I can use small amount to do future trading.

I really realize about not your keys, not your coins so I limit my amount in all exchanges I used. I don't want to get the hack or other bad experiences. I kept my big asset in separate wallet and not use exchanges storing my coins.

Other people might use different methods to trade or storing their coins. So we should choose the way that we feels comfortable.

savetheFORUM
Full Member
***
Offline

Activity: 1638
Merit: 142


Bitz.io Best Bitcoin and Crypto Casino


View Profile
Today at 09:05:23 AM
 #45

I believe you have make the best decision so far that's only if the fund you are splitting among many exchanges is mainly your trading capital, but if that's not the situation then tactics won't help you to reduce the chance of losing too much during exchange hack.
You might be lucky things are working for you, having a narrow escape from the previous exchange you're using that experienced a hack
It is not always when the exchanges are hacked. I think it might happen once in a year or even further. That might be the reason why people still prefer storing funds on exchanges even after knowing the risks. Splitting money on multiple exchanges would definitely keep us safe from any sudden exchange hack because we will still have accessible funds on other exchanges but let's not forget the transaction cost here. Every time we move money into some other wallet or exchange, we have to pay the fees. Many of us do not really consider fees but sometimes, they eat up our profits and we do not even know that.

Any user can get lucky once or twice but not always. We never know what's coming next. Even if the exchange is not hacked, there might be a number of other issues which might include strict scrutiny from the authorities which might lock the funds for a meanwhile. I want to have full control over my funds so I would never use exchanges to hold my life savings.

DanWalker
Hero Member
*****
Offline

Activity: 2730
Merit: 592


Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform


View Profile
Today at 09:30:27 AM
 #46


I lowkey don't really use centralized exchange after perpetual dexes are a thing, hyperliquid and others have close to 0 bps difference to centralized exchange these days, absolutely no reason to use centralized exchange if you want to trade yet you don't want the hacks and the custody. By doing this I already avoided possibility of losing money by hacks and it's very convenient because I can arbitrage on-chain fast by withdrawing directly. Centralized exchange is outdated. Dividing to several accounts also pain in the ass when trading perpetual, always need to move around capital to avoid liquidation so I only used one account.

Can't deny Hyperliquid and some other perp DEXs are creating some real competition for CEXs.

But using a DEX doesn't make risks disappear. You're just swapping one type of risk for another. With DEXs, you still have smart contract bugs, bridge risks, oracle manipulation, or worse, a leaked private key. And if you lose your money because of any of that. There is pretty much nobody to compensate you or help get it back.

CEXs still have their own advantages, like deeper liquidity and way more trading pairs. Their service are also a lot more diverse. It's not just spot and perps.

DEX are giving people another option. But they do not remove the risks and make CEX outdated.

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
BitBakerr1
Hero Member
*****
Offline

Activity: 644
Merit: 551



View Profile
Today at 09:44:44 AM
 #47

These are the ways I have reduced the probability of losing too much money on exchanges. I want to see your own opinions of what you are doing to reduce the chance of losing too much money on exchanges during hack.

I don't believe it's just luck but it all about your strategy and how long you spend in the market, when you don't spend too many hours or days then the chances of your trade still being on when the hacks happens are slim. A trader that spends just few hours and always withdraw after each trade for that day isn't going to have much or anything left on the exchange to lose them to hacks. I also have being in what you called a lucky situation because I had accounts with platforms that were hacked but I didn't lose any money. I know it's advisable to keep some money on exchanges to avoid losses over time from withdrawal fees but I don't mind paying for those fees instead of leaving my money on any CEX especially when I know I can't risk losing that amount. So my strategy is always take short trades, withdraw and hold in my own wallet.
CryptopreneurBrainboss That strategy is the best strategy, if you don’t leave your money in an exchange, you won’t have any problem with the exchange being hacked.
When you are done for the day, the next thing you should do is to withdraw all the money that is left in that exchange so you won’t fall into a situation of losing your money.

But talking about hack, I have not actually seen a situation where a hack happens to an exchange and the exchange totally close down and customers loses their money, it may have happened but I have not actually seen.
The one that happened to Bybit people didn’t lose there money totally, this one that recently happened to Bitget I’m closely watching them to see if they will come back because right now they have suspended withdrawal.

 
█▄
R


▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT▀█ 
  THE #1 SOLANA CASINO  
████████████▄
▀▀██████▀▀███
██▄▄▀▀▄▄█████
█████████████
█████████████
███▀█████████
▀▄▄██████████
█████████████
█████████████
█████████████
█████████████
█████████████
████████████▀
████████████▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████
█████████████
▄████████████
██▄██████████
████▄████████
█████████████
█░▀▀█████████
▀▀███████████
█████▄███████
████▀▄▀██████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████
████████████▀
........5,000+........
GAMES
 
......INSTANT......
WITHDRAWALS
..........HUGE..........
REWARDS
 
............VIP............
PROGRAM
 .
   PLAY NOW    
Asiska02
Hero Member
*****
Offline

Activity: 1680
Merit: 907



View Profile WWW
Today at 06:05:31 PM
 #48

These are the ways I have reduced the probability of losing too much money on exchanges. I want to see your own opinions of what you are doing to reduce the chance of losing too much money on exchanges during hack.

Signing up on an exchange as a means of savings is not the best approach, and thinking about how much you could lose in case of a possible hack on an exchange is not also what should be in mind. The exchange should strictly be for trading and exchange of coins, diversifying your portfolio is not in essence really bad if it works for you well but I won’t use that as a means of reducing the amount to be lost in terms of hack.

When I am trading and hit a profit, I take profit and not leave my wins in the exchange. I always have an amount set aside for trading and only that amount is deposited to trade with in an exchange, I take profits from that initial deposit and when I’m in loss or liquidated, I don’t add more money until that amount set aside for trading is replenished again. So I don’t really gamble much and leave my savings in exchange.

Oshosondy (OP)
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1538



View Profile WWW
Today at 06:11:16 PM
Merited by Asiska02 (1)
 #49

These are the ways I have reduced the probability of losing too much money on exchanges. I want to see your own opinions of what you are doing to reduce the chance of losing too much money on exchanges during hack.

Signing up on an exchange as a means of savings is not the best approach, and thinking about how much you could lose in case of a possible hack on an exchange is not also what should be in mind. The exchange should strictly be for trading and exchange of coins, diversifying your portfolio is not in essence really bad if it works for you well but I won’t use that as a means of reducing the amount to be lost in terms of hack.
This is not the question that I asked unless you direct it to yourself and not an advise for me. I am not seeking for your advice, but I just want to know how other people are trying to reduce their losses on exchanges if the exchange got hacked. I did not post that I am saving on an exchange which make you get the whole thing wrong. Just post you opinion about how you can avoid losing money on exchanges during hack is the question.

.◼.◼.Vega.bet.◼.◼.██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

...100 FS + 750% BONUS..MAX.WIN.$5,000...

███...FAST PAYOUTS  |  NO KYC  |  10% LOSSBACK...███
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

...Play Now...
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!