Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 07:11:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wifi cuts off every night  (Read 829 times)
Gazza1 (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 06:54:59 PM

The wifi on my friend's computer cuts off every night.  With the little x over the bars in the tray.

We have since gotten a new router (top of the line dual band) new wifi adapter (top of the line alpha) even got a new motherboard.  This leads me to believe it is something within Windows 7x64.

Any ideas?  No she can't use a cord, the wifi is within great range of the router with excellent sigle, but the location of the pc would mean cord running through middle of house (which is fine by me, but you get the idea).

Impossible is a word found only in the dictionary of fools.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 07:09:00 PM
Last edit: April 04, 2014, 07:19:50 PM by Gator-hex

You might need an ADSL filter on all your phone equipment.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/635/~/why-do-i-need-adsl-filters-%28microfilters%29-and-where-do-they-go%3F

also Apple equipment has been known to crash routers that use DHCP set a manual IP address on any Apple kit you own.

http://modmyi.com/forums/general-iphone-chat/16117-router-crashes-when-iphone-leaves-wifi-radius.html

PolarPoint

Activity: 672

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 07:14:09 PM

About the wifi adapter for the computer, is it a usb wifi adapter, or is it a pci-e card you install on the motherboard? If it is a usb model, check the temperature of the adapter. It might be overheating.
Gazza1 (OP)

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 07:56:09 PM

interesting on the ADSL filter.  we have cable not sure if that matters.  we have one wireless phone for the whole house that we barely use.  Don't have any apple equipment but we do have android phones that use the wifi.

the wifi adapter is usb, it is this one and works absolutely amazing http://www.amazon.com/Alfa-AWUS036NH-Wireless-Long-Range-Screw-On/dp/B003YIFHJY/ref=pd_cp_pc_0.  we also had a different usb adapter before that with the same issue.  You know that is a good point, it is somewhere near her mining rig it's possible it could be overheating. I will move it.

The other strange thing is that it only happens at night, after midnight.  Even if we don't use the pc all day it will always stay on.  router also has dd-wrt installed

hpitcher

Activity: 119
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 08:09:26 PM

its not a dsl filter the whole connection would drop not the wifi I workin the communications field as a field tech try looking at the usb device in the device manager and  there might be a setting that says turn off this device to save power make sure its not checked and also check your usb drivers in the device manager also and make sure that is also is uncheck to disable device to save power that what I have noticed over the years of being a field tech and seeing these issue over the years also you might try to goto a 20mhz freq in the router if its set to 20/40mhz some devices have issues with that.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 08:26:33 PM

Well it's not filters if you're on cable/fiber. They're just for copper lines. Cheesy

I'd try using fixed IP address on your phones and wifi dongles. It might be when you go to sleep you stop using your phones and they drop off DHCP which causes it to crash.

kabopar

Activity: 616

View Profile
April 04, 2014, 09:15:14 PM

DHCP has a finite 'lease time', so it has to be refreshed/renewed when it expires.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DHCP.  This is why you sometimes need to 'refresh' your LAN connection to your router.  It's not a 'bug', it's a 'feature' of TCP/IP.  24 hours sounds like a typical DHCP lease time.  Some routers will show you the expiry time of the DHCP lease for each connection granted.  In Win7, if you go to Network Connections, right click on the connection (wired or wifi), then on 'details', it will show the 'lease obtained' and 'lease expires' values for that adapter.  The default is 3 days on Win 7.

Cheers
Gazza1 (OP)

View Profile
April 05, 2014, 12:56:26 AM

Ok cool guys.

Well I moved the wifi adapter away from the heat.  I set the settings in device manager to not power off for power saving, it was actually on which was odd because I remember previously turning it off.

I went in the router and set static IP address for all wireless devices and pcs.  If I set static for everything could/should I disable DHCP all together?

The channel width is at a set 20mhz. Does bumping it to dynamic 20/40 increase performance?  just curious.

I think we are on the right path Cheesy  And you guys are also right the DHCP was set to renew every 1440 minutes.

kabopar

Activity: 616

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 10:03:58 PM

Ok cool guys.

Well I moved the wifi adapter away from the heat.  I set the settings in device manager to not power off for power saving, it was actually on which was odd because I remember previously turning it off.

I went in the router and set static IP address for all wireless devices and pcs.  If I set static for everything could/should I disable DHCP all together?

The channel width is at a set 20mhz. Does bumping it to dynamic 20/40 increase performance?  just curious.

I think we are on the right path Cheesy  And you guys are also right the DHCP was set to renew every 1440 minutes.
You probably don't want to disable DHCP completely, because as you bring new devices (say a new smartphone or tablet), you'll also need to manually allocate an ip address).  The solution that I use is to use a router feature to assign a fixed IP address to some specific devices, then set a fixed IP address only for that 'problem' device (such as the miner that needs to run 24/7).  Increasing the bandwidth is probably unnecessary for your bitcoin operation which is a low data rate affair (but if you need higher data rates for other services that could help).  You also need to be aware of the wifi use by your neighbors (there is a free application called 'inSSIDer' which conveniently shows you which wifi channels are occupied and their levels).  Sometimes you might need to shift your channel to avoid interference. This is something that you may want to monitor and update periodically.  If your devices support this, move to a 5GHz wifi, or dual-band, as 2.4GHz is fairly congested.

Cheers
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: