Yes, there are real examples, especially in
Decentraland and The Sandbox. In 2021, a Decentraland LAND was bought for around $17,141 and sold for $18,265 a few days later. An even bigger example is a LAND in The Sandbox, which was bought for around $175 and later sold for $18,244.
But I need to know what exactly you mean by virtual copy of real world property. If you're referring to land in the metaverse or game, we can tell you that land prices have dropped over 90% in today's market and liquidity is extremely low. However, RWA or real asset tokenization is a growing trend in which shares of real assets can be purchased via the blockchain. This is much more realistic. So before pouring money into the illiquid market based on the word of mouth stories, you should make sure that the project is indeed a metaverse game or an actual RWA.
I was thinking about decentraland and has been impressed with it. But I didn't put money in it because many of these projects at that time was truly hyped. I have no idea of how it is going right now but I think those who's got experience to profit from virtual real estate and projects like this will continue to look for opportunities just as this. Tangible asset if related to real estate is much better choice IMO but it just getting more expensive.
It is not necessary that the same people would still find projects like decetraland exciting. But yes, there would be a number of other users who will look at these projects as a profit making opportunity because a few of their known ones made profits in the past. This will hype the industry and everyone will start throwing away their money on virtual real-estates. I am sure we are going to see some projects worth watching in this space and who knows, you might invest in one of those.
You might have considered investing in decentraland at that time because it was doing really well. Now, I think decentraland is somewhere around $0.1 which dropped from ATH of $5.60 so it is not doing that well but in the past, it could have given you some good profits. I hope you can make enough research in future so you don't miss on any such opportunities.