FACTS, it is as easy as ABC, I don't see any difference between Polymarket and conventional sports betting as both of them are the same, I think Polymarket is even worse because of the array of options it gives its user, hence they deemed it fit to implement the self-esclursion feature to help compulsive gamblers [I see Polymarket traders as gamblers] so don't he deceived by the name, they are the same, just on different event
Whenever I hear people say that they would rather indulge in prediction markets than for them to "gamble" it makes me laugh. Because the definition of gambling has to do with betting your money on "uncertain" outcomes which both the prediction market, sports betting and casino games (gambling) fulfil.
The only angle I see them coming from would be the structure and possibly the purpose each of them is supposed to serve, but aside that, they are all the same nothing and, just like you said, prediction market gives a wider options to those involved in them.