Raising the minimum wage is one of the factors that perpetuates the inflationary spiral, but if the minimum wage is raised by less than the inflation rate, can we really say that the minimum wage has been increased?
I believe raising the minimum wage is the right thing to do, but only if the increase matches the inflation rate or is slightly higher. In other words, I support a real increase because, first and foremost, I don’t believe that workers’ wages are the cause of inflation or the economic crisis. Labor costs are often the smallest item on the list of total expenditures...
First, we need to know the cause of Seattle's economic crisis. Some businesses are closing because of high taxes. People are also moving out of Seattle because of the high cost of living. Raising the minimum wage would complicate things, since it would also increase the cost of goods and services.
Reducing taxes and encouraging business by offering grants and other incentives might be better than increasing the minimum wage.
I agree with this comment on X about the situation.
Seattle will turn into a ghost town within the next five years. Not one person can logically think through the idea of raising minimum wage while businesses are closing down and not enough people are coming in as customers to sustain this model. I’m wondering if they just have a bunch of fifth graders running the government at this point.