Bitcoin Forum
October 11, 2026, 11:28:30 PM *
News: Serious possible issue involving Ledger hardware wallets and CryptoBilis
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ledger has been hacked  (Read 256 times)
BluebloodCXVI
Full Member
***
Offline

Activity: 196
Merit: 123


Karma Is An Imaginary Cope For The Weak.


View Profile
Today at 07:46:00 AM
 #21

Let's educate ourselves now. Let's start with open source: this is a software that potentially allows everyone to see it's code and correct it if there is an issue with it.

For closed source: it is a software that hides it's code from the public. Thereby making it's users to trust them with addressing whatever issue it has in the code.

Neither of them are certain of complete security. There is still a likely hood of each or both to get hacked. So let's not shift blame to closed sources.

You’re not getting it do you?, this is not an open source VS closed source matter.
The attack was successful because someone opened genuine devices and inserted cellular implants that could read  people’s seed phrases off the screen during setup and then resealing them.

The attack vector was never because of the fact that ledger was a closed source wallet or the inability for external parties to audit it’s source code, the failure was in the distribution channel and the physical integrity of specific units.
So even if it was an open source wallet and it had the same vulnerabilities, it would have still been drained through the same way too.

casey15
Full Member
***
Offline

Activity: 517
Merit: 228


View Profile
Today at 08:46:39 AM
 #22

Omoh... Crypto wallets and exchanges have been major targets this year. The amount of security breaches that the industry has faced is alarming.. I just hope it isn't a major vulnerability affecting all of them at once. To think that these companies with enough resources and manpower are being exploited Is scary. I wouldn't want to blame them but I believe that institutions that deal with people finances should have very good security... I know no company can be 100% secured but with the rise of hacks other companies that haven't been victims should have found a way to tighten security no matter how small the vulnerability may be
Sticky Bomb
Sr. Member
****
Offline

Activity: 840
Merit: 490



View Profile
Today at 03:01:13 PM
 #23

They ignored the warning that Ledger is close source but they are affected now. There was someone that said he lost $100 million because of it.
I don't believe a single person lost $100m from this compromised wallets, from today's records the losses are $93.4 million. The closed source was not the problem, according to the reports it was tampered, they resellers introduced spy implants that can collect your seeds as well as your passphrases and send it to the scammer. I think the only people whose funds were not likely tampered in this mess are those using it as a  Multisignature wallet. A user @crypto_banter is claiming that reports now includes Asia, South America and Europe. This is a very heavy blow to Ledger.

PostQuantumBTC (OP)
Full Member
***
Offline

Activity: 378
Merit: 172


Bitz.io Best Bitcoin and Crypto Casino


View Profile
Today at 03:23:33 PM
 #24

I don't believe a single person lost $100m from this compromised wallets, from today's records the losses are $93.4 million.
It was me that made a mistake, I know the amount that was lost but I wrote another thing. The whole money lost is not yet up to $100 million recorded and where I said $100 million, it was $100 thousand and not $10 million. You can see the amount lost on the reddit link that I included in the post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ledgerwallet/comments/1x1fz09/my_ledger_wallet_just_got_drained_out_of_almost/

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!