Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:15:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Miners DUMPING their ASICs  (Read 6174 times)
cosmofly (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:34:17 PM

Its like everywhere Miners are dumping their ASICS, on sale pretty much everywhere, i wonder why  Roll Eyes

Discuss

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
protokol
Legendary

Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:39:41 PM

Well they must be getting bought by other miners then, how else do you explain the exponential graph?

herebittybittybitty

Activity: 154

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:40:17 PM

A lot of people are willing to buy miners at a cost yielding a negative ROI. There are also a lot of people who are doing that math and finding it more prudent to sell to them than mine.
herebittybittybitty

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:41:39 PM

Well they must be getting bought by other miners then, how else do you explain the exponential graph?

The 1, 2, 3 TH machine pre-order dump is underway.
cosmofly (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:47:27 PM

mega dump, on sale at a discount everywhere

cosmofly (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:48:19 PM

A lot of people are willing to buy miners at a cost yielding a negative ROI. There are also a lot of people who are doing that math and finding it more prudent to sell to them than mine.

is that even sustainable, how much more can you compensate future negative ROI buying more worthless asics with your past profits.

its like the whole mining game is about to collapse, if not now soon enough

fonzie

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:53:30 PM

Another huge sign about the upcoming collapse of Bitcoin price. I´m a bit worried.

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
herebittybittybitty

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 12:02:03 AM

Why would less mining result in lower bitcoin prices?  Huh
protokol
Legendary

Activity: 1188
Merit: 1016

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 12:02:45 AM

Yeah that makes sense. I wonder if miners are selling older machines that will never see a +ve ROI (cutting their losses), or selling newer machines for a profit (making money on early pre-orders). I also wonder if some are upgrading their machines to newer models?

Quote from: cosmofly
its like the whole mining game is about to collapse, if not now soon enough

Well the graph shows that the network speed is increasing exponentially, so no, the whole mining game won't collapse. What will happen eventually (as has been discussed a lot) is that some miners with higher costs will drop out, slowing/reversing difficulty, until an equilibrium is reached.
str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 12:05:04 AM

PANIC
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 12:05:31 AM

How is it going to lower prices? Mining just slows the creation of new bitcoin...the usefulness of it and the short supply is what gives it is market value...I'd imagine it would rise since they'd be more scarce.

Plus, given the exponential rate of computing power, eventually the machines will be better equipped to mine in a more productive manner.

And surely some miner out there has managed to figure out how to slash the overall expense by going solar...  Huh

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
amspir

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 12:19:50 AM

How is it going to lower prices? Mining just slows the creation of new bitcoin...the usefulness of it and the short supply is what gives it is market value...I'd imagine it would rise since they'd be more scarce.

Not correct.  The bitcoin network self-adjusts to keep the creation of new bitcoin on schedule.  From an investor's point of view, the creation of new bitcoin has a known, tightly self-regulated rate of creation.

jbrnt

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 12:20:14 AM

Its like everywhere Miners are dumping their ASICS, on sale pretty much everywhere, i wonder why  Roll Eyes

They are on sale maybe, but hardly dumping. They are still sold at impossible-to-breakeven price. If they are selling 1TH/s machines for say 0.1 btc, that will be dumping  Cheesy
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4414

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 12:22:27 AM

Discuss

new generations that are higher hashrate and less power use are on the market. and unlike GPU's which they switched over to scrypt coins.. the old gen ASICS get to a point of being useless. so the last ditch attempt to make money is to sell old tech

same applies for gamer's after a while its time to update your gaming machine. at one point playstation 3 was the most sought after item, everyone wanted one but there were not enough to go around. now everyone is buying the new playstation and throwing thier old console onto ebay, cheaper (bt not too cheap to be classed as 'dumping')

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
southerngentuk

Activity: 1316
Merit: 252

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 12:22:43 AM

Discuss

Maybe some links to everywhere.

Am sure there are a few, its a dynamic industry,
but hey at least try to back up your claim with some evidence, Otherwise its just....

Thud, Thud Thud Thud

SUGAR
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
██████               ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████████████████████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
vpitcher07

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 12:24:17 AM

Not correct.  The bitcoin network self-adjusts to keep the creation of new bitcoin on schedule.  From an investor's point of view, the creation of new bitcoin has a known, tightly self-regulated rate of creation.

That's technically not correct either. On average 25 bitcoins are created every 10 minutes however that doesn't mean we can't find 5 blocks in 5 minutes adding 125 bitcoins in 5 minutes (Unlikely but possible). It's designed that on average it should be close to 10 minutes but that's not always true. To call it tightly regulated is a bit of an overstatement - it can be a lot quicker or a lot slower.

Bitcoin: The currency of liberty
1HBJSf3Lm9i8KxjZ7fuoN9FJ8hniniFbv4
TwinWinNerD
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

CEO Bitpanda.com

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 12:26:36 AM

PANIC

haha yeah. Most miners never do any math and speculate with a rising BTC price to pay for the hardware. When in fact just buying BTC would yield a better ROI overall.

Well, and if the BTC price does not appreciate, they wonder, why the difficulty keeps rising. LOL

serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 12:27:16 AM

Which part?

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
amspir

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 12:29:16 AM

That's technically not correct either. On average 25 bitcoins are created every 10 minutes however that doesn't mean we can't find 5 blocks in 5 minutes adding 125 bitcoins in 5 minutes (Unlikely but possible). It's designed that on average it should be close to 10 minutes but that's not always true. To call it tightly regulated is a bit of an overstatement - it can be a lot quicker or a lot slower.
Compared to the decision making process behind a sovereign centralized bank currency, the rate of creation of bitcoin is much more known and tightly regulated than the creation of USD, for example.
raindex

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 01:10:09 AM

Discuss

The winter is over in the northern hemisphere. We don't need heaters anymore, so we sell them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: