Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:44:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 5970 problems - seeking suggestions  (Read 1858 times)
yochdog (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 03:40:39 PM

I have a couple 5970's that keep crashing my systems.  I am able to get one core rocking at 350 MH/s....but as soon as I start up the second core, everything freezes, the driver crashes, and sometimes there is a BSOD. 

Anyone have a potential solution? 

Win7 64-bit, 750W PSU, Sempron

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 03:44:34 PM

I have a couple 5970's that keep crashing my systems.  I am able to get one core rocking at 350 MH/s....but as soon as I start up the second core, everything freezes, the driver crashes, and sometimes there is a BSOD.  

Need more info.

IF you startup only the second core is there any problems?
IF you startup both at stock is there any problems?

Core temps look ok?  VRM temps?  (GPU-Z gives detailed VRM and other temp info)

I assume this is a clean install.  What driver version?  What miner?

How many total cards in the system? Just one?

Is there a monitor connected to this system? If so which GPU drives it (you can find it out by playing HD video on youtube and looking at GPU load monitor in GPU-Z)?
jamesg
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1358

AKA: gigavps

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 03:47:11 PM

I have a couple 5970's that keep crashing my systems.  I am able to get one core rocking at 350 MH/s....but as soon as I start up the second core, everything freezes, the driver crashes, and sometimes there is a BSOD. 

Don't over clock the second core.

Also, your core voltages should be 1.05v.

I have some OEM 5970s that are like this. It's is infinitely better to at least have them running then to overclock too much just to have them crash all the time.
yochdog (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 04:15:39 PM

I have a couple 5970's that keep crashing my systems.  I am able to get one core rocking at 350 MH/s....but as soon as I start up the second core, everything freezes, the driver crashes, and sometimes there is a BSOD.  

Need more info.

IF you startup only the second core is there any problems?
IF you startup both at stock is there any problems?

Core temps look ok?  VRM temps?  (GPU-Z gives detailed VRM and other temp info)

I assume this is a clean install.  What driver version?  What miner?

How many total cards in the system? Just one?

Is there a monitor connected to this system? If so which GPU drives it (you can find it out by playing HD video on youtube and looking at GPU load monitor in GPU-Z)?

Yes, if only the second core, it all goes haywire.
Yes, everything is at stock at the moment. 

Core temps look great.....60-70 range.  I will have to install GUP-z to get the VRM info.

Only one card.....this is my test bed system. 

It is an existing install.  Using the latest ATI CCC version.  Using GUIminer. 

The monitor is connected to the 5970. 

I am a trusted trader!  Ask Inaba, Luo Demin, Vanderbleek, Sannyasi, Episking, Miner99er, Isepick, Amazingrando, Cablez, ColdHardMetal, Dextryn, MB300sd, Robocoder, gnar1ta$ and many others!
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 05:33:47 PM

The second core on your 5970 is toast... have a seen a few like that.  Not much you can do about it.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 06:30:44 PM
Last edit: December 29, 2011, 07:43:52 PM by DeathAndTaxes

The second core on your 5970 is toast... have a seen a few like that.  Not much you can do about it.

Have to agree that seems likely.

To confirm you can try doing a clean install of OS/drivers. Leave card at stock, run only 2nd core.  If you get the same hard locks & BSOD then the core is bad.

The way that AMD designs the cards is almost like 2 independent "sub cards" connected with an internal PCIe switch.  This means you can have one of the two GPUs fail and the other one work properly just like you can have 1 of 2 physical cards (say 2x 5870 in same rig) fail and the other work perfectly.
mtminer

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 06:43:19 PM

The second core on your 5970 is toast... have a seen a few like that.  Not much you can do about it.

It is toast, I am in the process of sending a 5970 back, because one of the cores died.
yochdog (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 07:23:17 PM

The second core on your 5970 is toast... have a seen a few like that.  Not much you can do about it.

Have to agree that seems likely.

To confirm you can try doing a clean install of OS/drivers. Leave card at stock, run only 2nd core.  If you get the same hard locks & BSOD then the core is bad.

The way that AMD designs the cards is almost like 2 independent "sub cards" connected with an internal PCIe switch.  This means you can have 1 or 2 GPU fail and the other one work properly just like you can have 1 of 2 physical cards (say 2x 5870 in same rig) fail and the other work perfectly.

I am going to try this tonight.  Clean install from, the ground up.

Crossing my fingers that will fix it. 

Proofer

Activity: 266
Merit: 36

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 08:08:23 PM

...  VRM temps?  (GPU-Z gives detailed VRM and other temp info)

Is there a Linux tool to show VRM temps?
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 01:56:56 PM

Was wondering about this as well.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 02:39:02 PM

a port of gpu-z would be the ideal. the hitch is the cards that don't support reading those values from software. The few options I am familiar with are limited
read VDDC via command line
aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get activity"
Sensor 0 temp
aticonfig --odgt
You can try Radeonvolt which atleast will work with cards that support reading the values from software.
thread here; https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=10228.0

Its funny that Bitcoin is poking the Linux world for such uses, which without it are almost non existent. ;p

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 03:20:25 PM

Sadly I don't think so.  My understanding (which may be incorrect) is those supplemental values are NOT available via AMD drivers (no idea why not).  GPU-Z queries the GPU BIOS for raw data and parses it.  Those supplemental values are used for things like thermal throttling.  This is why you can see thermal throttling (usage drops from 99% to say 90%) despite cgminer (which is looking at core temp) shows a "normal" temp.

This is the only area that windows is superior to linux.  Maybe someday there will be a GPU-Z version for Linux.  My understanding is that it "could" be done.  
cuz0882

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 03:23:58 PM

I just had a similar problem. I set the cgminer to start on boot up, soon as it loaded I got a yellow screen and it shut off. Now if I try to mine with one of my gpu's the whole computer crashes. Pretty sure mine just got overloaded and ruined. Would not be surprised if the same thing happened to you. To bad i bought mine on ebay last week  Cry
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 03:26:06 PM

I just had a similar problem. I set the cgminer to start on boot up, soon as it loaded I got a yellow screen and it shut off. Now if I try to mine with one of my gpu's the whole computer crashes. Pretty sure mine just got overloaded and ruined. Would not be surprised if the same thing happened to you. To bad i bought mine on ebay last week  Cry

If the card was defective when you bought it use ebay buyer protection program.   Open a claim w/ ebay that "product is not as adevertized".  Since nobody has a clue what Bitcoin mining is try to see if you can replicate the problem w/ a game or some game benchmarking/stress testing utility like Furmark.
yochdog (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 06:56:34 PM

I have managed to get them stable at stock clock speeds within a new installation of windows.  Crossing my fingers that it continues working for a long time!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

sadpandatech

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 06:59:01 PM

I have managed to get them stable at stock clock speeds within a new installation of windows.  Crossing my fingers that it continues working for a long time!

what versions of Catalyst, etc did you settle on?  And please tell me you are leaving out CCC? ;p  There are much friendlier OC tools available that aren't so picky or risky.

cheers

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 07:19:47 PM

what versions of Catalyst, etc did you settle on?  And please tell me you are leaving out CCC? ;p  There are much friendlier OC tools available that aren't so picky or risky.

cheers

Agree on Catalyst I have found it causes nothing but problems.  The default install includes it but you can safely remove it or install the driver-only and then SDK runtime seperately.

cgminer + driver + sdk is all you need.  KISS. Smiley
sadpandatech

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 07:22:59 PM

cheers

Agree on Catalyst I have found it causes nothing but problems.  The default install includes it but you can safely remove it or install the driver-only and then SDK runtime seperately.

cgminer + driver + sdk is all you need.  KISS. Smiley

aye, with the downloaded self installer you can extract the whole thing and then just run the 'Install Manager', which will allow you to selct just 'display driver' and 'SDK'(forget what it is called in the manager. Or just run the seperate driver and sdk installers which you will find within the extraced files.

- GA

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: