Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 03:31:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A simplified estimate for a $100,000 BTC  (Read 2043 times)
Roy Badami

Activity: 563
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 09:42:38 PM

http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/high_tech_telecoms_internet/internet_matters

The reference above estimates today's internet contribution to global GDP as 3.4%.

Using an order of magnitude estimate of global GDP of 100 trillion USD, the internet's contribution today is 3 trillion USD.

Using an optimistic guess that a fully evolved BTC economy will embody 50% of the internet economy the optimistic fully evolved BTC "GDP" will reach 1.5 trillion USD.

Using 15 million BTC to make the math easy, one BTC will be worth 100,000 USD in a fully evolved BTC economy.

(Applying this argument to today's price results in an estimate of 0.2% of today's internet economy transacted in BTC.  This is a huge overestimate, which I think can be explained by today's BTC price reflecting investment based on the potential of BTC.)

I think you forgot to divide by the velocity of money.

Put another way, GDP is the value of goods and services sold in a year.  But the same coins might be used for more than one transaction in a year, so a 1.5 trillion USD contribution to GDP doesn't mean a bitcoin money suppy ('market cap') or 1.5 trillian dollars.  Some coins might be used in many transactions in the space of a year - hence requiring a significantly lower valuation to be able to account for all those transactions.  Of course, this is balanced by the fact that other coins won't be spent at all in any given year.

roy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcopia

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 09:47:21 PM

Credit cards are worthless now, since fiat is now worth 0 BTC, because the CEO of SSL has stolen all the fiat in the world and the banking ponzie has crashed.

Confirmed.

SSL as Secure Sockets Layer?

Anyway, I have always wondered where the word debit card comes from. I think it comes from DEBT. Credit cards are DEBT CARDS. Debt sucks. thus credit cards will die.

Debit cards debit the balance of your checking account. Credit cards credit the balance of your debt.

I agree, debt is almost always a terrible idea, particularly credit card debt.
TooDumbForBitcoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 10:02:18 PM

MORE:
only 25% in circulation
brick and mortar use

LESS:
too hard for mainstream
banned in some places
BTC velocity not taken into account

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
Siegfried

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 04:26:32 AM

It'll never happen. For the vast majority of consumers, using credit cards for internet commerce is safer, more convenient, and cheaper.

Because technology never evolves and people never adapt.  Roll Eyes
redhawk979

Activity: 271

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 06:18:14 AM

Credit cards are worthless now, since fiat is now worth 0 BTC, because the CEO of SSL has stolen all the fiat in the world and the banking ponzie has crashed.

Confirmed.

Anyway, I have always wondered where the word debit card comes from. I think it comes from DEBT. Credit cards are DEBT CARDS. Debt sucks. thus credit cards will die.

Until Bitcoin hits the point of simplicity that I have with a debit/credit card (literally a swipe and 5 second wait), its going to struggle to go mainstream. People are overestimating how easily they believe the general populace would adopt Bitcoin without things like this.
You will be getting google glass then? Nod twice and you just bought whatever you looked at.

You assume that I'm unhappy with my current process, which I'm not. Unless there is a major upgrade to my current swipe process, I (or the average consumer) don't need to switch to something marginally simpler.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 06:48:00 AM

A simplified estimate for a $100,000 BTC
Even more simple:
Check back when the rally has started, and this thread will seem more realistic.  Grin

Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 11:44:34 AM

Confirmed.

Until Bitcoin hits the point of simplicity that I have with a debit/credit card (literally a swipe and 5 second wait), its going to struggle to go mainstream. People are overestimating how easily they believe the general populace would adopt Bitcoin without things like this.
You will be getting google glass then? Nod twice and you just bought whatever you looked at.

You assume that I'm unhappy with my current process, which I'm not. Unless there is a major upgrade to my current swipe process, I (or the average consumer) don't need to switch to something marginally simpler.
You said it needs to be as simple as plastic. Nodding is simpler than that. You mentioned nothing about happiness.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
redhawk979

Activity: 271

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 02:58:08 PM

Confirmed.

You said it needs to be as simple as plastic. Nodding is simpler than that. You mentioned nothing about happiness.

I don't understand your point. I said as simple as a debit/credit card process. You're implying I have to go simpler than that? It has to be a simplicity mass majority of users are comfortable with, was my point.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: