Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:16:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: How much longer will Bitcoin last?
2 more years
4 more years
10 more years
50+ more years
It will never end
1 more day

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How much longer do you think Bitcoin will last?  (Read 4355 times)
Brangdon

Activity: 365
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:11:36 PM

If you look at investor interest, infrastructure investment and general excitement it's Bitcoin for now and for a long while to come.
I have wondered about this. How hard would it be for companies that are backing Bitcoin to switch horses? Let's say Google invents a new proof-of-stake currency and Amazon start accepting it - and it's technically excellent.

I suspect that at a programming level, a lot of the code for wallets etc could be reused for the new currency. Especially if the new currency was designed to make it easy, and the wallets were written in a modular way. Address generation etc could be the same. Surely people could switch in 3-6 months if they had to?

At some point there has to be consensus as to what people are going to award value to or it'll disappear in a puff of vapour.
That's true. Arguably it would not be in the best interests of someone promoting a new currency, to crash the bitcoin economy. It would undermine the whole concept of crypto-currencies. If my hypothetical Google/Amazon conspiracy happened, they'd probably include a way to convert bitcoin into the new currency.

It'll be an epic ask to get major chunks of money into Bitcoin. Once it's in there 'good enough' become a powerful incentive to keep improving what you've built everything around.
True. Although I currently think proof-of-stake surely has to win in the long run, and a forward-looking technological company might decide that the sooner we adopt it, the better. The longer we wait, the harder to switch, and the more energy (of various sorts) spent/wasted on Bitcoin.

I suppose I think that if Bitcoin survives the next 2 years, it'll be so entrenched it'll probably survive the next 50.

Bitcoin: 1BrangfWu2YGJ8W6xNM7u66K4YNj2mie3t Nxt: NXT-XZQ9-GRW7-7STD-ES4DB

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MicroGuy
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1030

Twitter @realmicroguy

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 01:14:35 AM

Or will it be replaced and deemed useless by another upcoming Cryptocurrency in the next month? Voice your opinion here!

I think Bitcoin will maintain a top 5 status for many years to come. But watch out for the altcoins, a few are rising and fast.  Smiley

http://coinmarketcap.com/mineable.html
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 01:18:22 AM

The important question is how long do you think crypto currency will last, or how ubiquitous will cryptocurrencies become?

Bitcoin is to cryptocurrency what windos os is to the internet. (settle down fanboys, it's just an analogy)

CC is the thing changing the paradigm...bitcoin is the Father CC of the modern era, so people will bridge the gap and if it does even that before becoming obsolete, it's done its job and is well valued across the planet.

Cryptos are here to stay.

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
BoogieMan82

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 02:05:53 AM

Until something better comes along.  Even then people will then just transfer their BTC into the new "currency."

Just look at the Euro and a lot of European countries (I'm not saying the Euro was better than some national currencies, just an example).
Joshuar (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

eidoo wallet

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 03:18:57 PM

1 more day got 17 votes or 6.5% Lol

██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
e i d o o
██

▄██▄
                  ▄██████▄
                ▄██████████
              ▄██████████▀   ▄▄
            ▄██████████▀   ▄████▄
          ▄██████████▀    ████████▄
         ██████████▀      ▀████████
         ▀███████▀   ▄███▄  ▀████▀   ▄█▄
    ▄███▄  ▀███▀   ▄███████▄  ▀▀   ▄█████▄
  ▄███████▄      ▄██████████     ▄█████████
  █████████    ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
   ▀█████▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
     ▀▀▀   ▄██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ██████████▀    ▄██████████▀
          ▀███████▀      █████████▀
            ▀███▀   ▄██▄  ▀█████▀
                  ▄██████▄  ▀▀▀
                  █████████
                   ▀█████▀
                     ▀▀▀
██
█║█
║║║
║║║
█║█
██
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 03:53:25 PM

40 years
zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 03:56:30 PM

Bitcoin will last and grow from the next generation, as long as it becoming more down stream I see it lasting over 100 years unless theres is a new technogolgy that replaces it.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 07:33:11 PM

10 more years, then we switch to an alt like doge

i am here.
Kokosek

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 08:05:52 PM

It will be like never ending story Smiley
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 09:06:06 PM

Yes well... this is hard to believe Bitcoin exist Smiley but it does exist and make a big noise Smiley
So for those reasons I am 100% sure that we will not let it go ... Bitcoin was something that world needs.
And this is just the beginning ... Smiley
Real world of Bitcoin is still to come.
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 02:09:03 AM

10 more years, then we switch to an alt like doge

I doubt doge will ever see any real enduring success because aside from 20 something haxors and nerds no person who is serious about their finances would take a meme coin seriously on its face. Not saying doge itself isn't serious but think about the financial community at large investing in an altcoin based on a 4chan meme.

They might be great with gamers and such but that'll be about the extent of its success. If they built up a good base and then changed their name to something more "mature and responsible" sounding, then that might expand for them.

Otherwise, most all of these altcoins whose sites or creators sound like they're 22 year old part time internet marketers slash full time frat boy gamers  are going bye bye. They will never be taken seriously beyond their niche.

Bitcoin is neutral. Possibly Litecoin. The rest - not happening. They'll be history within 3 years.

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 02:34:16 AM

How much longer do you think Bitcoin will last?
If the real Satoshi came back and said this new coin is much better, would you switch or stay with BTC?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=562645.0

safeminer

Activity: 110
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 01:06:16 PM

Why do people think an alt coin can beat Bitcoin ?

Let's put in perpective:

Bitcoin, brainchild of a genius (Einstein grade genius). Has probably dedicated the better part of his adult life thinking up and making bitcoin.

Lite/Peer/Doge/Whatever Coin : A copy paste of bitcoin with anywhere between 30 minutes and 30 days of effort put in the initial developement stage.

None of these alt coins offer any real innovation that Bitcoin did not already offer, and Bitcoin does so with the fastest most secure computer network in the world powering it.

The sooner you pull your money from these alt coins the sooner you start to actually make some money. Making money on alt coins is only possible with A luck or B insider knowledge.

So unless some Satoshi Nakamoto type genius comes out and creates an even better ----->NEW<----- type of e-cash, Bitcoin is pretty safe bet.
DhaniBoy

Activity: 280

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 01:11:38 PM

maybe around 10-20 years from now Grin
if new coin will launch and have many advantage over BTC, we all go to that coin

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Catswold

Activity: 518
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 03:16:03 PM

50+ is my guess, but with caveats.  It's hard to know if some new concept will suddenly appear, or if some critical, fatal vulnerability is discovered in the code.

BTC may give way to a new technology just as fiat is gradually giving way to plastic/electronic money.  

Of course, I doubt fiat currency will ever completely disappear.  People like to be able to hold their wealth in their hands and that's a human trait not likely to fade quickly.

As for "never ending . . ." please, nothing lasts forever.  It will eventually be supplanted, if only because technology renders it obsolete.
CarlesPuyol
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 03:39:01 PM

The btc is the nexy $ (The rulling coin)
howzar

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 03:41:23 PM

A solid 5 years more for sure but by then who know? A newer, better crypto may come out. WITHOUT THE NEED TO WAIT FOR STUPID CONFIRMATIONS Tongue
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 04:02:52 PM

A solid 5 years more for sure but by then who know? A newer, better crypto may come out. WITHOUT THE NEED TO WAIT FOR STUPID CONFIRMATIONS Tongue

exactly how do you plan to accomplish that???   Tongue

i am here.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 04:08:38 PM

A solid 5 years more for sure but by then who know? A newer, better crypto may come out.

There is no way to create a crypto-coin without the confirmations.
roslinpl
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1199

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 05:33:22 PM

are you joking? Smiley I am pretty sure you are Smiley

Imagine bitcoin without confirmations ...
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: