Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:00:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Uses of waste mining heat?  (Read 6298 times)
mrich8

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 06, 2011, 07:30:02 AM

I am in Texas so we have electric heat here anyway in apartments. With miners I do not have to run central heater at all (also electric), only central fan to keep air circulating. So during winter I can run the miners 24/7 at current prices. When it gets hot again and the price does not go up, I will have to stop the miners because of air conditioning cost.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
December 08, 2011, 09:11:44 AM

While collect the heat using water is a good idea, the huge cost and labor of mounting water block for each card simply make it impractical

Defrosting food is the simplest way to use the hot air, since I put the rig outside, if there is a way to re-pipe those hot air back into the house, that will be perfect, but I'm afraid that also involves quite a bit of construction

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
December 08, 2011, 09:31:44 AM

Eventually we can heat the whole globe! Oh, wait..

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
deepceleron
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2011, 03:11:29 PM

I am in Texas so we have electric heat here anyway in apartments. With miners I do not have to run central heater at all (also electric), only central fan to keep air circulating. So during winter I can run the miners 24/7 at current prices. When it gets hot again and the price does not go up, I will have to stop the miners because of air conditioning cost.

If you have the space (or you make a box for your miners), you can just pump the heat outside. I have a small room with a window, I closed the room and put a box fan in the window during the summer. Even so, replacing a 1500W space heater with one that also makes Bitcoins is certainly a benefit in the winter!
Brunic

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 20, 2011, 06:36:12 PM

Last week, we've moved our stuff in the basement (big basement!) of somebody who needed the heat for the winter (we are in Canada). It's been 1 week, and we didn't started the heater once with a temperature between 0 and -10 Celsius outside.

And usually, that house pays around 3500$ for heating in a year.

Right now, I really believe it is possible to reduce of the heating cost down to 0$. I'm curious to know how it will be if we get temperatures of -30 Celsius, I hope we have a mild winter  Grin
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 05:15:59 PM

I've been debating setting up some tubing with a heat exchanger (sealed) to provide heating to my aquarium, since I need to heat it anyways.  I just haven't got around to it.  Plus I don't know how hot it will get (55 gallons), so I'll need to do some testing first so I don't come home one day to fish soup!

If it works, then I'd keep the regular heater on to provide backup in the event that my GPUs stop mining.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 22, 2011, 05:23:56 PM

I've been debating setting up some tubing with a heat exchanger (sealed) to provide heating to my aquarium, since I need to heat it anyways.  I just haven't got around to it.  Plus I don't know how hot it will get (55 gallons), so I'll need to do some testing first so I don't come home one day to fish soup!

If it works, then I'd keep the regular heater on to provide backup in the event that my GPUs stop mining.

If you have a water cooling system you could use a thermostatic valve to divert the hot water to either aquarium or a radiator.

One way to get an idea of how much heat your aquarium needs is to plug it into a kill-a-watt.  My guess is that an aquarium doesn't lose that much heat.  Likely the output of your rig is vastly oversized compared to the needs of the aquarium.  Now 500 gallon, or a backyard swimming pool that might be more like it.
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2011, 05:31:10 AM

Living in Canada, let's just say that it's nice to have the computers warm the house up a bit Smiley
tonto

Activity: 609

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 04:15:05 PM

If you have a water cooling system you could use a thermostatic valve to divert the hot water to either aquarium or a radiator.

One way to get an idea of how much heat your aquarium needs is to plug it into a kill-a-watt.  My guess is that an aquarium doesn't lose that much heat.  Likely the output of your rig is vastly oversized compared to the needs of the aquarium.  Now 500 gallon, or a backyard swimming pool that might be more like it.

My rig is only 2 5770.
It's my gaming rig, so by the time the fluid got from my rig to the aquarium (one room over) there would be heat loss out of the tubing.

It was just a silly idea I had, but if the aquarium was in my same room, I'd look into it more seriously, but might give an idea to someone else reading. Smiley
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: