Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:06:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I am going to build a true random number generator ...  (Read 7797 times)
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 02:52:56 AM

Sounds like a fun project.  Very cool.  But why do you need to prove randomness?
It is unlikely to provide any business advantage in my opinion.

Security. If your private key ain't truly random. I may be able to guess it and steal your bitcoins.

Lol.  No way you're going to steal my coins based on an "only" pseudo random key.
Anyway, not trying to rain on the parade here,  carry on!   Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:06:30 AM
Last edit: April 08, 2014, 03:25:04 AM by DeathAndTaxes

Lol.  No way you're going to steal my coins based on an "only" pseudo random key.
Anyway, not trying to rain on the parade here,  carry on!   Grin

I think you miss the point.  If a PRNG is secure then you have no problems.  Are you SURE your PRNG implementation is secure?  Coins have be stolen in the past due to flawed PRNG implementations.  Now it is unknown if it was just a flaw or an intentional weakness (put there by 3 letter agencies which know they can break unbreakable ciphers when they rely on weak random numbers).  Still it doesn't matter the coins were stolen just the same.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/08/google-confirms-critical-android-crypto-flaw-used-in-5700-bitcoin-heist/

Even if it was intentionally crippled it may have been for reasons other than Bitcoin, and some Bitcoin users just ended up in the crypto crossfire.  

Of course that isn't the only example not even recently:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_EC_DRBG
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/15/technology/researchers-find-flaw-in-an-online-encryption-method.html?
http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1496724
http://eprint.iacr.org/2007/419.pdf

This isn't a commercial project, just something I want to do as a hobby.  If it goes anywhere I intend to make the hardware and software open source.  Hopefully that leads to other open and transparent designs.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:16:50 AM

Lol.  No way you're going to steal my coins based on an "only" pseudo random key.
Anyway, not trying to rain on the parade here,  carry on!   Grin

I think you miss the point.  If a PRNG is secure then you have no problems.  Are you SURE your PRNG implementation is secure?  Coins have be stolen in the past due to flawed PRNG implementations.  Now it is unknown if it was just a flaw or an intentional weakness (put there by 3 letter agencies which know they can break unbreakable ciphers when they rely on weak random numbers).  Still it doesn't matter the coins were stolen just the same.

This isn't a commercial project just something I want to do as a hobby and I will make the hardware and software open source.  Hopefully it leads to other open and transparent designs.

Sure... All I was saying is that making a PROVABLY unflawed rng isn't going to
substantially help customer acquisition for reasons I won't bore you with...
Just making a business comment, hope you don't mind! 

grifferz

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:21:24 AM

Have you seen the Simtec Entropykey?

http://www.entropykey.co.uk/

I have a couple that I use for making sure that virtual machines have enough entropy. They appear to work really well.

Sadly I have heard people have been having lots of problems ordering from Simtec recently.
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:25:53 AM

Sure... All I was saying is that making a PROVABLY unflawed rng isn't going to substantially help customer acquisition for reasons I won't bore you with...

What does acquiring customers have to do with this thread?
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:26:57 AM
Last edit: April 08, 2014, 03:47:00 AM by DeathAndTaxes

Have you seen the Simtec Entropykey?

http://www.entropykey.co.uk/

I have a couple that I use for making sure that virtual machines have enough entropy. They appear to work really well.

Sadly I have heard people have been having lots of problems ordering from Simtec recently.

I own one of their keys.  It does seem difficult to order more at the current time for some reason (maybe creator moved on to other projects).  However the simtec is a black box.  I am interested in an open source implementation.  
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:31:37 AM

Sure... All I was saying is that making a PROVABLY unflawed rng isn't going to substantially help customer acquisition for reasons I won't bore you with...

Thought you were developing it for some business purpose initially.

Btw, why do we need hardware , isn't there enough entropy on the internet that we can access?

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:34:21 AM

Btw, why do we need hardware , isn't there enough entropy on the internet that we can access?
It's public entropy, so if anyone knows what you are using, they can generate the same "random" numbers.  A true RNG would mean no one could reproduce the results.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:42:23 AM

It's public entropy, so if anyone knows what you are using, they can generate the same "random" numbers.  A true RNG would mean no one could reproduce the results.

It could be combined with the entropy of the exact time a random number request was made, along with additional pseudo random number from the server, hash the result, grab some random parameters from that, go get some random feed from online that is also changing in real time, hash that, and you have a pretty doggone random number that no one could arrive at even if they had your source code. 

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4622

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:44:24 AM

It could be combined with the entropy of the exact time a random number request was made, along with additional pseudo random number from the server, hash the result, grab some random parameters from that, go get some random feed from online that is also changing in real time, hash that, and you have a pretty doggone random number that no one could arrive at even if they had your source code. 

That sounds awful complex.  Wouldn't a simple piece of open source software and some easy to acquire hardware be a simpler and more reliable solution?
grifferz

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:46:58 AM

There is certainly a market for something like the entropykey, though it may be small. Open hardware schematics that third parties can make and sell would be great.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:48:00 AM

That sounds awful complex.  Wouldn't a simple piece of open source software and some easy to acquire hardware be a simpler and more reliable solution?

Depends on the application.  Generally, I'd rather use a code library than worry about hardware.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4622

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 04:22:14 AM

That sounds awful complex.  Wouldn't a simple piece of open source software and some easy to acquire hardware be a simpler and more reliable solution?
Depends on the application.  Generally, I'd rather use a code library than worry about hardware.

That doesn't sound like it would satisfy the desired result:

Proving a PRNG is secure is a very difficult task and is impossible when the operating system is not built from source.  Quantum mechanics are non-deterministic and thus provide an alternative method of generating randomness.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 04:27:36 AM

That sounds awful complex.  Wouldn't a simple piece of open source software and some easy to acquire hardware be a simpler and more reliable solution?

That doesn't sound like it would satisfy the desired result:

Proving a PRNG is secure is a very difficult task and is impossible when the operating system is not built from source.  Quantum mechanics are non-deterministic and thus provide an alternative method of generating randomness.

Perhaps.  Don't want to get into a long debate, just suggesting there is a lot of real time entropy available through the web as well.  Cheers.

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 04:45:29 AM

I disagree.  If someone had your source code, they could track all those sources you talk about, and the only thing they'd need to speculate on is the exact time a random number request was made.  If you're going to claim that is random enough, then just use the exact time request by itself - everything else adds no additional randomness to someone who has your source code.
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1011

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 05:24:16 AM

Does this provide more entropy than something more common and practical, like the camera on your phone? I would imagine that if you hashed a 24-bit 10 megapixel random image you'd get a random number with pretty good entropy. After all, each pixel can be considered as an independent photon counter.
Rydenius

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 05:46:16 AM

I'm a bit late to the discussion, but I'm a bit surprised that no one posted this resource for quantum generated true random numbers using optics at the Australian National University: http://photonics.anu.edu.au/qoptics/Research/qrng.php

They have a live true random number server as well:
http://150.203.48.55/index.php

The API info can be found here:
http://qrng.anu.edu.au/FAQ.php#api

No idea if it's fast enough for the intended task though...
sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 06:16:17 AM
Last edit: April 08, 2014, 12:48:04 PM by sickpig

I'm a bit late to the discussion, but I'm a bit surprised that no one posted this resource for quantum generated true random numbers using optics at the Australian National University: http://photonics.anu.edu.au/qoptics/Research/qrng.php

They have a live true random number server as well:
http://150.203.48.55/index.php

The API info can be found here:
http://qrng.anu.edu.au/FAQ.php#api

No idea if it's fast enough for the intended task though...

Thanks for the links.  Very useful.

And more to the point it seems to validate D&T approach. They are only using a different source of quantum entropy. D&T model seems easier to be developed on a large scale, though.

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
DeathAndTaxes (OP)
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 06:26:24 AM

Well to be clear this isn't "my" approach, just the one I am planning to use.  Smiley   I don't want people to incorrectly give credit where no credit is due.  Fourmilabs in switzerland has been providing true random numbers over the internet produced from observing radioactive decay for the better part of a decay.  The interesting thing is that micro controllers have gotten fast and cheap enough combined with a lot of open source hardware information at there that it becomes economical for a hobbyist to build their own "hotbits" device at home.
zureman90

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 07:10:11 AM

May I ask - what are you planning on using the RNG for? Because if it's for applications like generating passwords - it might not be that useful. If there are already quantumcomputers powerful enough to predict the movement of E.Coli..they will surely enough be powerful enough to just bruteforce the passwords.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: