Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:00:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What dedicated hosting is available for bitcoin?  (Read 2006 times)
Nefario (OP)

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2011, 01:15:03 PM

Looking for a dedicated host, had a quick look at the trade page on the wiki, and a service exoware.net seems to offer it, but on checking their site they dont mention bitcoin.

Does anyone know if they accept bitcoin? Or who else does?

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Garrett Burgwardt

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
April 09, 2011, 01:41:58 PM

I can offer you some "mom's basement" type hosting on the cheap, if you need something temporary.
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 09, 2011, 01:46:32 PM

I have a VPS service on testing stage (for too long now, have just been busy). If VPS is good enough for you let me know and we can come up with something.
Nefario (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2011, 03:07:10 PM

TheKid, thanks that's not really what were looking for at the moment, we don't mind paying if we get what we need.

nelisky, you know to be honest I don't really care if it's vps as long as it doesn't effect the sites reliability or performance in any negative way.

How come there seems to be no shortage of VPS's for btc but no dedicated hosting ATM?

What I would need would be at least dualcore(with a reasonable amount of cache), 2Gigs RAM and at least 100Gb storage space with the option of increasing if needed.

What are your prices and SLA's? And how do you compare to kalyhost(we have a vps with them for running a dev server)?

nelisky
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2011, 03:27:20 PM

The full story is I have been "contracted" by a local hosting company to create a VPS managing system, and I have convinced the owner to allow me to attempt to run a bitcoin driven framework. But in the end I'll be collecting bitcoins and he has the option of charging me the bitcoins, or part thereof, or simply having me pay for a fraction of the VPS price is €.

Either way, the VPS' are running fine, I actually have some in operation and have a draft of the management system, but there are a few issues still and out of sheer lack of time the project has been on hold. I can hook you up with dedicated servers too but I'll have to get a quote from the ISP.

If you want to give the VPS a go I can set it up for you, give you 2Gig dedicated RAM, but you will not have dedicated CPU time, so if you are CPU bound it will probably not be the best approach. The machine I'm currently working on is a quad core XEON, and because I'm using KVM for virtualization the most I can do is give you one core affinity.

I can arrange for pretty much anything but this is not my main business and you will be better served elsewhere if you need 99.999% uptime and 1 hour response Smiley

Oh, and we'll be putting no cap on traffic for starters, but the future will depend on how much abuse we get.
Nefario (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2011, 03:37:09 PM

nelisky, thanks for getting back to me so quick.

If we can pay for the dedicated machine with bitcoin (and it's around those specs I mentioned or more-ish ) then please get a quote.

I actually don't know if the service will be cpu bound, but if it gets a little busy it'll certainly be cpu intensive, with lots of RSA signing and verifying for nearly each request.

nelisky
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2011, 03:52:02 PM

I'll have a quote for you early next week, but I believe it will be in the 150~200 coins / month (I assume you'll want to go monthly given the huge fluctuations in the exchange rate). Prices gets lower for longer term prepayment, of course.

The VPS price is more or less bound by memory slice, and I can get you an equivalent VPS for 25~50% of the dedicated price. As for the CPU issue, unless you have a sustained requirement for intensive CPU usage you will probably never even feel the performance difference in the VPS. What OS are you targeting, btw?
Nefario (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2011, 04:07:47 PM

I'd probably be going for Ubuntu, the latest LTS version, whichever that is.

With regards VPS processing, it wont be continuos, but in requests. A request comes in, some signatures need to be made or verified, a reply is made, done. That work well enough on the vps? Also, can I have 2 cores?

nelisky
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2011, 05:00:43 PM

With regards VPS processing, it wont be continuos, but in requests. A request comes in, some signatures need to be made or verified, a reply is made, done. That work well enough on the vps? Also, can I have 2 cores?

That would work fine with the VPS, I believe. I can't give you a specific number of cores but I could give you core affinity, disallowing others from using those cores. But in the end I believe the best thing would be to just allow you to fully take advantage of the 4 core system (minus the VM penalty) when needed. This all boils down to not allowing other VPSs on the same machine to hog the system, which should be a simple case of giving your kvm process a better niceness value.

The multi core performance of KVM is not completely linear, though, and the only way to go about this is by doing real tests. If I provide you with a VPS instance are you equipped to run performance tests?
Nefario (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2011, 05:17:14 PM

That would work fine with the VPS, I believe. I can't give you a specific number of cores but I could give you core affinity, disallowing others from using those cores. But in the end I believe the best thing would be to just allow you to fully take advantage of the 4 core system (minus the VM penalty) when needed. This all boils down to not allowing other VPSs on the same machine to hog the system, which should be a simple case of giving your kvm process a better niceness value.

The multi core performance of KVM is not completely linear, though, and the only way to go about this is by doing real tests. If I provide you with a VPS instance are you equipped to run performance tests?

Nope, not for a while. At this point in time we would be working on basic functionality. Performance issues due to traffic would be a great problem for us to have. I'm just trying to find out what my options would be if we did have to scale up.

To give you an idea of what you'd be up against competition wise, the alternative kalyhost has is their power option vps (although we may possibly go for the medium option)  https://www.kalyhost.com/vps.html

jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
April 09, 2011, 05:43:20 PM

Dedicated server pay-as-you-go quotes from xf2.org:

• 120 BTC / month:
    AMD X2 3400+ Dual-Core, 2x 1.8 GHz, 2x320GB SATA II, 4GB RAM, 100 Mbps shared unmetered
  • 150 BTC / month:
    AMD X2 3400+ Dual-Core, 2x 1.8 GHz, 2x500GB SATA II, 6GB RAM, 100 Mbps shared unmetered

Discounts available if you pre-pay for a year, instead of month-to-month.  Email info@exmulti.com if interested.

I'll check stock and see if any older, cheaper servers are available.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
nelisky
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2011, 05:48:36 PM

Dedicated server pay-as-you-go quotes from xf2.org:

• 120 BTC / month:
    AMD X2 3400+ Dual-Core, 2x 1.8 GHz, 2x320GB SATA II, 4GB RAM, 100 Mbps shared unmetered
  • 150 BTC / month:
    AMD X2 3400+ Dual-Core, 2x 1.8 GHz, 2x500GB SATA II, 6GB RAM, 100 Mbps shared unmetered

Discounts available if you pre-pay for a year, instead of month-to-month.  Email info@exmulti.com if interested.

I'll check stock and see if any older, cheaper servers are available.

This will always be better than what I can get you dedicated, so unless you want to give the VPS a try first I'd go for it Smiley
nelisky
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2011, 05:50:57 PM

Nope, not for a while. At this point in time we would be working on basic functionality. Performance issues due to traffic would be a great problem for us to have. I'm just trying to find out what my options would be if we did have to scale up.

To give you an idea of what you'd be up against competition wise, the alternative kalyhost has is their power option vps (although we may possibly go for the medium option)  https://www.kalyhost.com/vps.html

Yeah, I can beat kalyhost in both price and performance, although I'm pretty sure you will not need the power option, as you hint.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: