Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:11:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The early-adoptor unfairness  (Read 10176 times)
cheat_2_win

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 09, 2012, 10:51:34 PM

As casacius mentioned, if you didn't buy bitcoin when it was $2.00 a piece after the crash, then your argument that early adapters had an unfair advantage becomes irrelevant. You were never interested in the success of the bitcoin and are never invested enough to make it succeed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 10:27:40 AM

I once complained regularly about early adopter unfairness, but now that prices have touched all the way down to $2 and stayed there long enough to be well within reach of anyone with vision, I don't think the complaint has merit anymore.

Read "I've complained about it a lot before I was one of them, now that I am I see the wisdom of it".

These complaints are bullshit. People wanting in can get in. People not getting in presumably did something better with their money and have no grounds to complain then. Unless they want to share with us that hamburger and fries they bought instead of buying bitcoins that is.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
farfiman
Legendary

Activity: 1449
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 29, 2012, 05:28:49 PM

As casacius mentioned, if you didn't buy bitcoin when it was $2.00 a piece after the crash, then your argument that early adapters had an unfair advantage becomes irrelevant. You were never interested in the success of the bitcoin and are never invested enough to make it succeed.

If an "early adopter" bought or mined (on a cpu) coins for a few cents - and some for much less ( "10,000 bitcoin pizza")- then they have made an enormous amount of money even at today's prices, and much much more if they sold in the bubble, So what is called the unfair advantage is still there in some peoples mind.

If 1 bitcoin becomes worth 1000$  then there isn't much difference if you bought at 1 cent or 4 dollars as far as profit.

"We are just fools. We insanely believe that we can replace one politician with another and something will really change. The ONLY possible way to achieve change is to change the very system of how government functions. Until we are prepared to do that, suck it up for your future belongs to the madness and corruption of politicians."
Martin Armstrong
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 02:27:39 AM

There is no way in hell you know what the price is going to be tomorrow, with 100% certainty.

This applies today, and it applies 2 years ago. No one "knew" it was going to hit $30. No one "knew" that $32 was the magic mark where it would head to $2.

There is no such thing as early adopter unfairness, because no one can predict the future with certainty. If someone "knew" it was going to be worth $32 when it was worth $0.01, then that's unfair. Did anyone know?
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 07:03:56 AM

There is no way in hell you know what the price is going to be tomorrow, with 100% certainty.

This applies today, and it applies 2 years ago. No one "knew" it was going to hit $30. No one "knew" that $32 was the magic mark where it would head to $2.

There is no such thing as early adopter unfairness, because no one can predict the future with certainty. If someone "knew" it was going to be worth $32 when it was worth $0.01, then that's unfair. Did anyone know?

I think it's more like the price today is $5. If Bitcoin takes off the way we like, the price will be in the order of >10K, more than 2000 times higher than now. The chance for this to happen is probably much larger than one in 2000. Since we *know* this, we're enjoying an unfair early adopter advantage.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
████████████████████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
Hunterbunter

Activity: 994

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 07:08:32 AM
Last edit: March 02, 2012, 07:37:29 AM by Hunterbunter

I think it's more like the price today is $5. If Bitcoin takes off the way we like, the price will be in the order of >10K, more than 2000 times higher than now. The chance for this to happen is probably much larger than one in 2000. Since we *know* this, we're enjoying an unfair early adopter advantage.

So we yell it to the world so they know about it too and can also profit, and they look and decide to not buy?
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 07:18:33 AM

There are no "ealier" adopter,
there are only "now" adopters,
and "now adopters" take risks.

anu
Legendary

Activity: 1218

RepuX - Enterprise Blockchain Protocol

View Profile
March 02, 2012, 03:05:15 PM

So we yell it to the world so they know about it too and can also profit, and they look and decide to not buy?

We yell it to the world and drown in the noise of the world. How many people have so far made a conscious decision not to buy?

Let's keep yelling  Grin

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███████████▄    ▄███████████
█████████████▄▄█████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
  ▀█████████████████████▀
   ▄████████████████████▄
 ████████████████████████▄
█████████████▀▀█████████████
███████████▀    ▀███████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
RepuX▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
.Decentralized Data & Applications Protocol For SMEs.
▔▔▔▔  ●  Twitter  ●  Facebook  ●  Bitcointalk  ●  Reddit  ●  ▔▔▔▔
▄██▄
████
████
████
████
████
████
████
▀██▀
Enterprise Blockchain Protocol
.GET WHITELISTED.
Token Sale starts 6th of February 2018
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 05, 2012, 01:38:56 PM

Actually I don't see the currency is a problem in a network based society, and most people don't even care about exchange fee when they buy something on internet using paypal, but the transportation and custom clearance of goods are the biggest trouble, how can BTC help with that? (If you pay by BTC, then shipping and tax will be free?)

molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 10, 2012, 05:13:42 PM

There are no "ealier" adopter,
there are only "now" adopters,
and "now adopters" take risks.

well said, mr. red!

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2012, 03:22:38 AM

If an "early adopter" bought or mined (on a cpu) coins for a few cents - and some for much less ( "10,000 bitcoin pizza")- then they have made an enormous amount of money even at today's prices, and much much more if they sold in the bubble, So what is called the unfair advantage is still there in some peoples mind.
Except it's something in the past that nobody can change and has nothing to do with Bitcoin going into the future. You can buy at today's prices and early adopters can sell at today's prices. So any future changes in Bitcoin prices are equally available to early adopters and today's adopters.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2012, 01:03:10 PM

We yell it to the world and drown in the noise of the world. How many people have so far made a conscious decision not to buy?

Let's keep yelling  Grin

If we tell people "Buy BTC, it is a good investment", we are perceived as pyramid schemers.
If we don't tell anyone ... we are silently abusing our "unfair insider information" and are "evil early adopters" and hoarder.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 06:32:31 PM

Let's keep yelling  Grin

If we tell people "Buy BTC, it is a good investment", we are perceived as pyramid schemers.
If we don't tell anyone ... we are silently abusing our "unfair insider information" and are "evil early adopters" and hoarder.

Easy way out: just tell them you're giving them insider information.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
March 11, 2012, 08:55:38 PM

If 1 bitcoin becomes worth 1000$  then there isn't much difference if you bought at 1 cent or 4 dollars as far as profit.

Ummm, seems big to me, If you had $100 to invest then buying at 1 cent means you can retire vs at $4 you can buy a decent new car and go on a vacation.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
March 11, 2012, 09:32:09 PM

If you had $100 to invest then buying at 1 cent means you can retire vs at $4 you can buy a decent new car and go on a vacation.
But you can only get that decent new car and the vacation because the early schmuck was willing to take the risk at 1 cent to help bootstrap the currency.
Etlase2

Activity: 798

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 06:20:59 AM

what do you suppose that means?

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 11:27:18 AM

You're presenting a false choice.

The "non-damned" option is to spread information freely, but don't recommend that others buy. Let the recipients of the information make their own decisions.

If you look back at the early posts on this forum, it's clear that most of the early adopters were doing just that.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 11:56:17 AM

Preaching to the choir. In the words of Brother Sam Singleton, goddamn!

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
March 12, 2012, 12:20:36 PM

You're presenting a false choice.

The "non-damned" option is to spread information freely, but don't recommend that others buy. Let the recipients of the information make their own decisions.

If you look back at the early posts on this forum, it's clear that most of the early adopters were doing just that.

Most people won't take the time to fully digest the information, and will instead rely on my tl;dr summary.
So, when I talk to family, friends, and in general people I care about, I recommend they put some money into BTC. It can be as little as 1-10 BTC, but I simply don't understand how holding 0 BTC today is rational.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
N12
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 12, 2012, 11:08:47 PM

If you had $100 to invest then buying at 1 cent means you can retire vs at $4 you can buy a decent new car and go on a vacation.
But you can only get that decent new car and the vacation because the early schmuck was willing to take the risk at 1 cent to help bootstrap the currency.
What risk? Getting into a huge bubble, getting scammed by MyBitcoin, getting MtGox hacked? Grin

No, I think the biggest risk here was the one the later fools took because the infrastructure sucked while the valuation of Bitcoins rose too quickly.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: