Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:21:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help With Western Union  (Read 1711 times)
Black_Star (OP)

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 11:48:08 PM

Hey Guys
A User Has Agreed To Sell Me Bitcoins Through Western Union But I Have Never Used It Before I Wondering If You Could Help Me Out And Tell Me :
-What Are The Risks
-How Should I Go about The trade
-I Have A Shop Which Is Local That Displays The Western Union Logo Outside ( I Live In The UK)
-Can I Deposit Cash To A Local WU and It Gets Sent Or Do I Have To Do It Online ( I Dont Mind IF If Do Cus I Have A Debit Card >.<)

Please Quote And Stuff So YEah Any Help Would Be Appreciated
Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 02:58:04 AM

Stop.

Do a Google search on Western Union scams and 419 scamming. You can just kiss your money goodbye if you give even two pennies to Western Union.

If you have a PayPal account go to BTC-e and create an account for yourself, buy your btc there, not from some stranger over Western Union. Your chances are less than 10% of successfully receiving your bitcoins, and 100% that you will have no recourse to get your money back from WU.

There are many thousands of people in the world who are dealing in bitcoins every day doing it the "normal" way through the various exchanges, why do you have such a need to play in the playground of the wicked and deal with scammish approaches? Just do it like the rest of the folks here, and you will have happy results. Try to do it with criminals and you will lose your money.
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 03:45:23 AM

Hey Guys
A User Has Agreed To Sell Me Bitcoins Through Western Union But I Have Never Used It Before I Wondering If You Could Help Me Out And Tell Me :
-What Are The Risks
-I Have A Shop Which Is Local That Displays The Western Union Logo Outside ( I Live In The UK)
-Can I Deposit Cash To A Local WU and It Gets Sent Or Do I Have To Do It Online ( I Dont Mind IF If Do Cus I Have A Debit Card >.<)

Thanks

woah, did you type this manually or run it through ucfirst() ?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 04:02:18 AM

I won't answer you questions because you are missing the larger issue.

If you send funds first there is ABSOLUTELY nothing anyone can do if the scammer simply walks away.

WU = sending cash
Envelope filled w/ small unmarked bills = sending cash

Ask yourself would I mail this person an envelope full of cash.   Now WU is even less secure.  At least if you mail someone cash you have a mailing address.  Granted it could be a PO Box obtained under false identity but you have something.
Black_Star (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 01:29:14 PM

Hey Guys
-What Are The Risks

Thanks

woah, did you type this manually or run it through ucfirst() ?

typed it all manually >.<
Black_Star (OP)

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 01:32:12 PM

Stop.

Do a Google search on Western Union scams and 419 scamming. You can just kiss your money goodbye if you give even two pennies to Western Union.

If you have a PayPal account go to BTC-e and create an account for yourself, buy your btc there, not from some stranger over Western Union. Your chances are less than 10% of successfully receiving your bitcoins, and 100% that you will have no recourse to get your money back from WU.

There are many thousands of people in the world who are dealing in bitcoins every day doing it the "normal" way through the various exchanges, why do you have such a need to play in the playground of the wicked and deal with scammish approaches? Just do it like the rest of the folks here, and you will have happy results. Try to do it with criminals and you will lose your money.
Thanks For The BTC-E Can You Reccomend It? , I Know  I Sound Like A Noob I Just Dotn Use Bitcoin Very Often And Coinpal Has Shut down. Thanks For All The Help But You Dont Need To Be So Condescending all the time   
LoupGaroux

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 04:05:11 PM

Yes, I heartily recommend it. I do daily transactions there, and have had very successful deals consistently, with a lively community of good folk.

Sorry, you felt I was being condescending, I was really just trying to make the point that you were embarking and a questionable path, and there were a lot easier ways to get to your destination.

Good luck, and good trading to you.
bluudz

Activity: 211
Merit: 116

Why so serious?

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2015, 10:02:44 AM

Hello. What do you reckon about selling Bitcoins over WU? The risk is for the buyer mostly no? So if I have good enough rep to back me up it should be fine I reckon?

Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 10:23:19 PM

Hello. What do you reckon about selling Bitcoins over WU? The risk is for the buyer mostly no? So if I have good enough rep to back me up it should be fine I reckon?

Well use your logic! It just depends who sends first and I hope you won't ever send your bitcoins first. So if you walk out from the WU office with the cash in your hands, what can go wrong for you? Absolutely nothing.
chanlance

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 12:22:13 AM

Well use your logic! It just depends who sends first and I hope you won't ever send your bitcoins first. So if you walk out from the WU office with the cash in your hands, what can go wrong for you? Absolutely nothing.
this is an eye opener......so even the likes of localbitcoin and escrow deserve a benefit of doubt Huh ???thats if you use wu or mg
funkydog

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 13, 2015, 05:48:02 AM

Like mentioned above.... don't send first if you want to deal with WU.
WU has a MTCN tracking system (wu.com) that you can use to see if a money transfer is ready to be picked up, maybe thats an option - ask them to send the money and ask for the MTCN nr to see if it's ready for pickup but apart from that my advice would be: do NOT use wu!

You can however buy BTC for WU at established websites used by many users like Unichange (Google it) but you'll have to pay a fee.
bluudz

Activity: 211
Merit: 116

Why so serious?

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2015, 12:33:15 PM

I read a bit that you can receive money online or through mobile wallet in certain countries. I was trying to look for this option in the UK, but no luck. But it seem to me unlikely that it would not work here. Anyone knows if its possible in UK?

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 04:19:52 PM

Stop.

for the love of fucking god NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

FUD first & ask questions later™
Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
November 17, 2015, 04:24:57 PM

I use WU occasionally i can answer your questions.

If you plan on doing a private trade with no escrow you are running a massive risk.
unless you are 100 billion percent sure the person is trust worthy then do it.. other wise forget it.
in other words unless it's close friends or family don't even bother..

On the other hand if you have planned this WU possible trade with LocalBitcoins then maybe it's ok.
Use LBC and wait until you have the money then release the Bitcoin.
Or vice versa..
If you have the guy claim fraud your coins / money will be tied up during investigation though.

Also i would avoid WU.. they have HUUUUGE fee's
Use interac eTransfer ..it only costs a dollar or two.
And is instant fast and safe and puts money into your bank account.

FUD first & ask questions later™
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: