Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 06:16:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin could take over third world currencies  (Read 1278 times)
bitcoinsrus

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 11:24:59 PM

Bitcoin is for RICH, relatively speaking, people, in the West and China. No real person wants to buy a fraction of a btc, only bots.

Africa is NOT ready for bitcoins. They are too busy fighting ebola, figuring out where their next meal is coming. Sure, some are using their phones for micro transactions, but they are too miniscule in amount to attract any real usage.

Years ago I gave a poor African farmer my old sneakers. Most people in the western world be insulted if I'd offered them my shoes, but this farmer was elated to have them. You say there's no people who would want a fraction of a BTC yet there's tons of people who use faucet sites that give out tiny amounts of BTC.

Also, populations there have a much higher percentage of young people who would be more open to BTC than older generations. Africa is ready for BTC, it's just a matter of it starting to flow in that direction.

I wouldn't be insulted if you gave me some used jordans :DD
semaforo

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 11:26:27 PM

Has anyone ever tried to send a billionth of a bitcoin? Seriously. You can't, not with bitcoin-qt or bitcoin-core or whatever they are calling it these days.

Bitcoin is for RICH, relatively speaking, people, in the West and China. No real person wants to buy a fraction of a btc, only bots.

Africa is NOT ready for bitcoins. They are too busy fighting ebola, figuring out where their next meal is coming. Sure, some are using their phones for micro transactions, but they are too miniscule in amount to attract any real usage.

Africa has some of the fastest growing economies on the planet. Not everyone in Africa is poor, and even in the poorest parts everyone has cell phones. If someone could devise a way to make international bitcoin transfers possible with old fashioned cell phones with good security and useability, it could easily take off.
bitcoinsrus

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 11:27:47 PM

Has anyone ever tried to send a billionth of a bitcoin? Seriously. You can't, not with bitcoin-qt or bitcoin-core or whatever they are calling it these days.

Africa has some of the fastest growing economies on the planet. Not everyone in Africa is poor, and even in the poorest parts everyone has cell phones. If someone could devise a way to make international bitcoin transfers possible with old fashioned cell phones with good security and useability, it could easily take off.

Don't they have M-pesa (that mobile payment system)
semaforo

Activity: 728

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 11:31:38 PM

Yeah, it's big and they are starting to charge hefty fees on it- and it doesn't address inflation which is a big problem in a lot of African countries, so I would hardly say bitcoin has missed the boat.
bitcoinsrus

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 11:34:29 PM

Yeah, it's big and they are starting to charge hefty fees on it- and it doesn't address inflation which is a big problem in a lot of African countries, so I would hardly say bitcoin has missed the boat.

Bitcoin could probably work there, but I guess a pioneer or a whale from the bitcoin community would need to establish a system there (so it would be easy to trade btc in Africa)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: